Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yaml VS sql

Comments in 'Plugin Development' started by Svile, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Svile

Svile Active Member

Minecraft User:
    svile
    Wich one is better to store only player money ? why ? differences ?
    I think creating different files for each player (like SimpleAuth by shoghicp or Economy$ by onebone) is better.
  2. Hotshot_9930

Hotshot_9930 Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    HotshotHD
    SQL is faster.
    applqpak and AndrewBit like this.
  3. Svile

Svile Active Member

Minecraft User:
    svile
  4. EvolSoft

EvolSoft Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Flavius12
    SQL is very useful when you want to share data between servers
    AndrewBit and applqpak like this.
  5. PEMapModder

PEMapModder Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    I am a fan of JSON! :D
    In HereAuth, I saved skins, making each file larger than 4 KB. Therefore, I used JSON + GZIP, making the files formatted in .json.gz

So, my comparison:

File-based vs table-based
    This is basically YAML vs SQL, as the thread is above.
    File-based is good when you want a simple solution to save data at small units, say, per player. However, a problem is that it creates a large number of files, which many users may dislike. Also, if the units are related, e.g. you want to find the average, standard deviation or extrema of the data, you may either:
    • Load the data of all units every time. If you have 100000 players registered, it is an issue. You have to open stream for each unit, read, and close stream. This has very poor performance, especially on personal computers, whose harddisks don't expect you to read so many files at a time.
    • Store the values. If you want a sum, alter the value every time a datum is added/removed/updated. If you want an average, store the count in addition. If you want top 10, it would be even more troublesome. If you want the standard deviation, a lot of trouble. If you want the median, impossible unless you use the method above (recalculate every time).
    On the other hand, using table-based database (SQL) can overcome these problems. If you use a MySQL storage, you just need to create asynchronous connections and performance isn't a problem. If you use an SQLite3 storage, you can create a database at :memory:, which allows querying from memory. Then you can periodically use asynchronous tasks to export data into the harddisk by creating a single file of any format you like. It will come out well if you can use it properly.

A third solution
    Why argue so much? Just let the users pick what database to use and bear their own consequences! See SimpleAuth for how to support switching between multiple database types.

YAML vs JSON
    YAML is really good. But I don't like its strict and ambiguous requirements on indentation. Instead, although slightly verbose, JSON is easier to understand and much clearer.
    CrazedMiner and Svile like this.