Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Which PocketMine Server Host is the Best?

Comments in 'General Discussion' started by Darunia18, Jan 31, 2014.

?

Which server host is the best?

1. ServerCrate

13.9%
  2. potpotsie

9.9%
  3. PocketServer

14.9%
  4. WoBHosting

7.9%
  5. eDevil

3.0%
  6. Other (post below)

50.5%
  1. codmadnesspro

codmadnesspro Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Codmadnesspro
    Pocketmine hosters are pointless as you could get your own vps for a cheap price with a better spec.
  2. Darunia18

Darunia18 Staff Member Sectional Moderator

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    1.3.12 has bugs because the code is outdated and wasn't designed for this kind of complexity. The 1.4 update will fix all the bugs with 1.3 and below. 1. Player quit is an MCPE thing I think, unless it's only player join. 2. Invisible players could be a plugin or it could be because the server is laggy or because 1.3 is buggy. 3. Your world is either corrupted or it's not loading the world correctly.

I don't know what you mean by the server-ip thing, but either way, you should ignore the server-ip thing in your server.properties. You don't use that to change your IP address.
  3. Angelo Vidrio

Angelo Vidrio Active Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    LilCrispy45
    Good luck to you Darunia, I am thinking about getting a vps myself, at the moment I just use my pc and I dedicate 6gb/8gb of ram to the server. I have no lag what so ever and if anyone here has a good pc here, I encourage you to use the method that I am using. I have full access to my all files with no need or hassle of learning Linux. I guess I might as well tell my secret now. In order to dedicate ram to the server on a pc, windows, I just use SoftPerfect RAM Disk, which creates a virtual ram disk. I place all Pocketmine files in there, and it dosent lag a bit even when I play PC minecraft at the same time! Hope this helped! ;)
  4. iJoshuaHD

iJoshuaHD Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iJoshuaHD
    its not a secret lol. as long as u have a powerful computer and a fast network, u can host pocketmine like a boss
    Angelo Vidrio likes this.
  5. Angelo Vidrio

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    LilCrispy45
    Lol , it probably isn't a secret, but people sometime wouldn't know how to dedicate the ram. But Im thinking VPS would be better for me for me, do you use a host?
  6. iJoshuaHD

iJoshuaHD Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iJoshuaHD
    i do.
  7. codmadnesspro

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Codmadnesspro
    You must be very dumb sir.
    Using virtual ram disk burns out the hdd you twit.

Linux servers are better as they have more possibilitys unlike windows.
  8. Angelo Vidrio

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    LilCrispy45
    Sorry but I have not had any problem with running my server with virtual ram ever since the release of pocketmine. There is no need to call me dumb. Thanks for your input anyways though :)
    Tuff likes this.
  9. codmadnesspro

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Codmadnesspro
    Wait till your hdd burns out. Virtual ram is very slow if you held 6gb ram its only really 1gb.
  10. decado

decado Active Member

Minecraft User:
    decado
    Greetings all

***HostingItAll***

Bumping an old thread I realise but it's an ongoing topic that is always going to be important to those of us hosting larger servers.

I have had a couple of experiences regarding server hosts since my last posts in this thread that I want to share. Today I'd like to highlight "Hostingitall".

A few months ago I was contacted by Hostingitall (I am assuming on the strength of my reviews here and in other areas) and they asked me would I like to trial their service.

I was a little busy at the time with many issues and replied that I would certainly review the service for them as soon as I could make time.

The next thing I knew I had a message from Matt the principal of the company telling me my server was provisioned and ready to go and all the details where there included within the message.

This has been typical of my dealings with Hostingitall ever since and is the focal point of any review I could make about the company. Service, Service, Service!

It's getting so that we are lucky enough to have a reasonable choice in pocketmine hosts these days, all have roughly similar products available and Hostingitall is no different.

Servers are available for all tastes from the hobbyist who just wants 10 slots to enjoy with his friends up to large 40 - 60 players servers.

They do not provide the most powerful VPS configuration specifications in the class. They are however sufficient unto the task and are capable of hosting for the specified number of players with 20 or so plugins sucking resources in the background.

Hostingitall is on the lower end of the scale pricewise being cheaper than the soon to be defunct ServeCrate and Potpotise for example and they tailor their products in such a way that you only pay for what you want. Standard port is 19132 to available for a modest extra fee for example.

I wouldn't put Hostingitall into the "bargain basement, fly by night gone tomorrow" class but this is a host that should be considered if you are on a pocketmoney budget constraint or similar. They'll have something for you.

As is becoming normal for most hosting concerns now there is full ftp access to your server plus a hosting panel for the less technically advanced or those who just like to "keep it simple".

The hosting panel package in use by Hostingitall is intuitive and easy to navigate. It gives exceptionally easy file managment and editing features for all your files and makes swapping, backing up and editing your files a snap!. It contains the ability to mange multiple servers easily and has a low performance hit on the machine you are running it on in your browser.

Comparing it to Multicraft as used by ServerCrate and many others and which I use as my "standard" to compare others to I would have to say that the biggest missing factor with Hostingitall is the comprehensive player Database and managment abilities within Multicraft. I lose count of the times I go to manage my players that way only to realise that it is not available. This is a standout function with Multicraft yet to be surpassed by the rivals.

That said, Hostingitall is actually honestly active in developing their product so this may well be addressed in the future. (hint hint XD)

On the plus side for the Hostingitall control panel solution is the brilliant console intergration. None of this limiting the amount of lines per second that can be displayed like Multicraft causing you to miss important server messages on startup for example. You see it all clear an in realtime just as if you were running the server on a local machine.

Down to tin tacks, with so many services becoming available with very similar offerings you look for something that sets one provider apart over another.

Hostingitall has two

1. Uptime

Hostingitall is the ONLY host I have been involved with thus far that can claim ***100%*** uptime.

Obviously the best companies will have downtime based on problems with upstream providers and other factors out of their control and I'm sure that Hosingitall will be no different (hope I didn't Jinx you guys)

What does impress me is the great care Matt and the staff take to make sure that all systems work in progress and ANY other factors within their power are always managed in such a way behind the scenes to provide you the most stable service. The bigger concerns could learn a lot here!

2. Service

What can I say here ?.... Where the other hosts in some cases seem to take a perverse pleasure in distancing themselves from the customer "coal face" hiding behind social media as the primary means of support Hostingitall could not be more different.

Support tickets are dealt with promptly and expertly often by Matt himself. He is knowledgable to a high level of expertise and makes it available to his customers. I don't know any other host who will offer to write scripting to help automate your server managment but Matt does and it's not just something he does for me to "impress the reviewer". I've seen Matt do this for other customer on a number of occasions.

In my case being old fashioned I choose to do support via email and Hostingitall does not dissapoint with prompt answers at surpising times of the day or night and essentially as many times as it takes to resolve your problem. 10 times in a day? Yup no problem. Average response time? < 1 hour and often much less than that.

So, in summary

Hostingitall

If Reliability, Service and value for money are key concerns for you and you perhaps need a little extra support for some reason, possibly you are not highly experienced or just require something a little out of the ordinary then you should speak to the crew at Hostingitall.

I'm voting with my dollar$. AnzacGamers like to maintain servers with multiple hosts to ensure redundancy during outages ... Although we started out simply to review the service our experience has prompted us to make the call that in future Hostingitall will be hosting one of our servers for us.

Regards
    Decado

Disclaimer

I am in no way associated with any server hosting company. I receive no remuneration in cash or kind, no discounts or professional favouritism for comment. I run my servers from my own pocket and refuse donations. My sole interest here is to inform the community and ensure the companies that suit the community the best continue to trade by referring business to them where I can.
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
    HostingItAll and iJoshuaHD like this.
  11. MinerDaDJ

MinerDaDJ New Member

Minecraft User:
    MinerDaDJ
    So I pay $12 a month with pocketserver.net for 512 MB of ram?? Over at Cookedporkchop I can get that for $6 plus a free mumble server, and free web hosting. $8 a month at servercrate.
  12. decado

decado Active Member

Minecraft User:
    decado
    To some degree you missed the point of the post MinerDaDJ

I'm not going to argue the value of the plans with you, that's for you as the potential customer to decide but the point Zhaus raises is fully valid.

Some things like customer service are beyong price (Are you listening ServerCrate/NetherBox?)

Pocketmine and MCPE for that matter require bugger all RAM. You can easily run 40 players on 512Mb of RAM. Some hosts require you to run a VPS with a minimum of 2Gb of RAM to host for 40 players where this is in no way needed.

Who CARES how much RAM you are being given if "insert amount here" is enough to do what you want?

If they are providing a plan with 512Mb of RAM and allowing you to host for 40 players on that for $12 as long as it works (and it most likely will) then isn't that better value than a host that makes you pay $25 for a plan plan with 2Gb of RAM you don't need to host for 40 players?

Personally I'd rather pay extra for an extra GHZ CPU clockspeed which is the lifeblood of MCPE than an extra Gb of RAM any day ... sadly no one offers that option stand alone as CPU is a short resource in VPS setups.

Regards
    Decado
  13. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    Thunder33345
    I try before but I can't let it run the script
  14. T_24

T_24 New Member

Minecraft User:
    T_24
    What pocketmine server should I use besides Potpotsie? I have many complaints about them but that's not what I'm here to talk about.. I'm going to be using a new server hosting and I want to be able to have custom plugins. But which host gives custom plugins?! Plz reply ASAP
  15. decado

decado Active Member

Minecraft User:
    decado
    As far as I know NO host gives custom plugins sorry

They provide you with a VPS or VGS to host your servers in but what plugins you use is up to you.

Some hosting companies provide a method to load plugins that have been written for general use directly from various repositories but if you want custom plugins you will either need to write them yourself or approach someone who does to do it for you.

Once you have your plugin you upload it via ftp pretty much as you would any other plugin really. Nearly all hosts now priovde ftp access.

Regards
    Decado
  16. DA_Swagnemite

DA_Swagnemite Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    DA_SWAGNEMITE
    Actually unless PocketServer changed their policy they do custom plugins for people however i dont recommed using PocketServer at all since their servers crash and/or lag A LOT no matter what settings you put on your server. I used them a while back and people would litterally get kicked every 5 seconds even with the player slots set to 2, no plugins installed on the server, and no main data (ops.txt, players/worlds directories, etc.)
  17. decado

decado Active Member

Minecraft User:
    decado
    Ahhh .. Good to know thanks Comedyman. I'll file that ;)

Regards
    Decado
    Comedyman937 likes this.
  18. Svilen2

Svilen2 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Svilen2
    Hostingitall
    HostingItAll and decado like this.
  19. DominicT

DominicT New Member

Minecraft User:
    DomTMiner1
    Hey the best hosting service right now I think is tnahosting.
    Bad thing about it u CSNT upload custom maps. But u can definetly upload custom plugins i customized my plugins a lot to what I need in my server

I also tried servercrate. Server crate allows u to upload custom maps just not that good at uploading custom plugins.
  20. DarkN3ss

DarkN3ss Active Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    DarkN3ss61
    Just an update for Minecraft.co.nz, If you would like to buy a server from them, yo can get them form here http://fruitbytes.com/cart.php?gid=9 Starting at $12.63 USD for a 15 Player slot server! and also you get a free subsomain for Minecraft.co.nz :D

==EDIT==

You can now get 20% OFF!! Just message me and I will tell you how to get this :)
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014