Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Which PocketMine Server Host is the Best?

Comments in 'General Discussion' started by Darunia18, Jan 31, 2014.

?

Which server host is the best?

1. ServerCrate

13.9%
  2. potpotsie

9.9%
  3. PocketServer

14.9%
  4. WoBHosting

7.9%
  5. eDevil

3.0%
  6. Other (post below)

50.5%
  1. iJoshuaHD

iJoshuaHD Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iJoshuaHD
    i have moved to servercrate. first 12 hours of consecutive online, it seems it is so great! no lag at all :)
  2. KnownUnown

KnownUnown Active Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    KnownUnown
    @iJoshuaHD PocketMine is not hard to be DDoSed. It's just as able to be DDoSed as other webservices. If it's connected to the internet, there's a way to attack it, pretty much.
    iJoshuaHD likes this.
  3. iJoshuaHD

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iJoshuaHD
    asking a professional regarding my issue by sending the logs to him, he said it was just udp flood or dos attack. i have moved to servercrate hoping to stop floods incoming.

thanks for clarifying this up
  4. decado

decado Active Member

Minecraft User:
    decado
    Greetings

I don't mean to be a wet blanket here but one of my servers is Servercrate hosted and it has been taken down for 3 full days straight by a DDOS attack last month along with Servercrate's total operation.

Speaking as a retired Systems and network Admin, your "professional" is probably correct in that you are undergoing a udp flood attack. This is a simple "denial of service" attack where someone is "ping flooding" your connection from a single source.

A DDOS 0r "Distributed Denial of Service" attack is simply the same thing from multiple sources at the same time allowing a higher volume of traffic to be fired back at the network connection you are trying to run your server from.

Minecraft / Pocketmine is less vulnerable than some games simply because although no one likes lag it causes less problems with the type of game play in Minecraft.

If you are undergoing a DOS attack and it slows down the round trip response time from your server (ping) by 500ms (half a second) this will render many games, first person shooters for example, totally unplayable. Minecraft with a ping of 500ms is annoying but it IS still playable.

If your servers connection is being bombarded from multiple sources with more data than your server connection or you server machine is capable of handling in total the this is called "Saturation of the link" and at that point all service stops. This is harder to achieve and usually has to come from many sources i.e. a DDOS.

While there are certain steps that can be taken to minimise impact generically called "DDOS Mitigation" in reality the only defense there is is to have a powerful server host and more bandwidth than is being used to attack you.

Moving to a professional host is a good start and probably the best you can do, but it is not a magic bullet.

Welcome to my world as a games host ;)

Regards
    Dec
  5. iJoshuaHD

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iJoshuaHD
    i totally understand this. due to budget contraint for servers, the only way is to always be prepared for the upcoming attack if you do have one.

anyways, is their ddos protected ips worth every penny?
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  6. STATEnotCITY

STATEnotCITY New Member

Minecraft User:
    STATEnotCITY
    I'm curious if any of you host using Amazon's EC2 services. I host super light server for my girlfriend, a few friends, and myself to play on using their free instance options and it's great for small parties (4-5 connections). Their larger end hosting options for the 20+ player range still seem reasonably priced (pay-per-volume vs. a flat rate fee) and Amazon has incredible protections against a wide array of server attacks.

I haven't yet completed setting up my PocketMine server, so I can't say how effective it will be versus my experience with the full-game server, but I'll keep you posted.
  7. iJoshuaHD

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iJoshuaHD
    its great but im not an ideal for small server. unless you want to spend lots of money for it :p
  8. Naut

Naut New Member

Minecraft User:
    Naut_
    I'm with potpotsie and they are a good service, but I would like to have more control over my server and plugins then what they currently offer. I'm thinking a VPS might be a better solution, but honestly i'm not sure where to start I have no experience with a VPS. I noticed Servercrate.com offers VPS services would that be a good place to purchase a VPS from?
    iJoshuaHD likes this.
  9. decado

decado Active Member

Minecraft User:
    decado
    Hi Naut

I'm not in the habit of trying to take business off potpotise or anyone else. As you noted yourself potpotise are a more than good service for the average server. It seems however that like me you desire a higher level of control.

My advice for you is this, if you are thinking of running a full pocketmine server on a VPS first decide what O/S platform you are going to use, Windows Server or Linux.

Many will sneer at Windows, personally after 27 years in I/T I'm debianed out and also I have any number of trips to hospital every year now and Mrs Dec who is linux illiterate has to manage the systems when I am there so in my case windows it is. It works fine.

Do not choose a VPS that has less than a full virtual container with a complete operating system. In other words once you remote desktop into it or SSH in to it it should look and operate just like a full stand alone computer.

If you go the windows route you will want server 2008 or above so that all the resources needed are included. Server 2003 requires some extra packages to be installed which just complicates matters.

Once you have made the decision on which O/S you are going to use set up a machine at home with the chosen Operating system on it and practice installing, setting up and configuration Pocketmine and day to day running on that machine via windows Remote Desktop or SSH for linux. Do it all by remote without using the console keyboard, mouse and monitor. When you are comfortable with that then go get your VPS.

If that is too demanding then I suggest a VPS may not be the solution for you.

That said, any of the other hosting companies using MultiCraft managment portal will more than likely give you everything that you require.

I have one server with servercrate which uses multicraft and I am able to ftp all and any pluins in and out to my hearts content, edit the configuration files through the managment console or edit them at home and upload them and even ftp full backups to home and ftp custom maps up to the server.

At any rate, you have a few options open to you.

Hope this helps

Regards
    Decado
  10. Naut

Naut New Member

Minecraft User:
    Naut_
    Wow Dec, I really appreciate you taking the time to write up that response, it really cleared up a lot for me.

I will definitely take your advice on setting up a machine at home with the OS on it and practice installing, setting up and configuring Pocketmine. This will keep me from getting in over my head.

At the moment I think the best solution for me will be finding a provider that uses Multicraft. My main two requests at the moment is the ability to select the right plugins for the server I want to have and then to be able to keep them updated as new versions are released. Then of course being able to locally backup my content is especially important after putting in several hours of laying out the maps/worlds.

Thanks again.
  11. I_Is_Payton_

I_Is_Payton_ Active Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    I_Is_Payton_
    Try NodeTree, you get full FTP and awesome network speeds to run PHP. ;)
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  12. I_Is_Payton_

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    I_Is_Payton_
    As you know, I'm the CEO and I run my php minTTY apps pretty fine on my lowest specs server.
    We are currently dropping the price from $8 to $4. All users will have SSH, SFTP, ect.
    And a smooth memo, B/W, and RAM usage panel hope you choose your hosting service wisely :)
  13. I_Is_Payton_

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    I_Is_Payton_
    All of our servers are secure and they aren't just for MCPE. ;)
  14. magister

magister New Member

I use pocketmine. I have not tried the others.
  15. I_Is_Payton_

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    I_Is_Payton_
    Duh, we all use pocketmine, but MCPEBukkit is comeing, this is just like Bukkit and PythonMCPC ;)
    LastHunterKid likes this.
  16. HostingItAll

HostingItAll Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Console
    I would like to throw our our services to host .... Http://HostingItAll.com. I can setup your server on our actual servers for MCPE that includes an administration panel for your server, or for the more advanced users I can rent you a VPS for your server.
  17. Blubbll

Blubbll Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Blubbll
    ß
    Well, the GameServers are ovrpriced/ expensive, what about the VPS?
  18. HostingItAll

Minecraft User:
    Console
    Our rates are cheaper than most providers such as servercrate, and potpotsie. VPS depends on your needs.

Submit a ticket at:
    http://customers.hostingitall.com/submitticket.php?step=2&deptid=1
    with your needs and I can get you a quote.

VPS do not typically come with a control panel for MCPE however TCADMIN can be installed for directly from their website to manage this for you.
  19. HostingItAll

Minecraft User:
    Console
    In the future we are hoping to allow 4 hour trials of our services... however we still need to implement some systems to prevent one-use to ensure there is no abuse of it.
  20. iksaku

iksaku Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iksaku
    I really recommend you a dedicated server, with a Huge Bandwidth xD