Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Which PocketMine Server Host is the Best?

Comments in 'General Discussion' started by Darunia18, Jan 31, 2014.

?

Which server host is the best?

1. ServerCrate

13.9%
  2. potpotsie

9.9%
  3. PocketServer

14.9%
  4. WoBHosting

7.9%
  5. eDevil

3.0%
  6. Other (post below)

50.5%
  1. Darunia18

Darunia18 Staff Member Sectional Moderator

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    Hello all! I am just wondering: Which PocketMine server host is the best? I'm not just talking about pricing, because I have already calculated that. I want to know about the hosts' customer support, user friendliness, accessibility (such as being able to actually add/delete/modify all the server files), etc. Do certain hosts seem to lag a bit, or seem to go offline/crash frequently or more often than other hosts?

I am just wondering all of this information because I am considering starting up a server within the next few months. I have a PC server host with whom me and my fellow admins really like in all aspects: pricing, customer support, accessibility, and user friendliness. The only issue is that we are not sure if we can host an MCPE server with them. I know it is possible, but we're not sure if they will allow it or not, so I am just looking up some backup plans just in case.

Thank you for your feedback. I am really excited to work on this soon (AKA once the plugin contest ends :p).
    And if you guys want more info on the upcoming server, well...I really don't have much besides that it'll be a sort of "port" of our PC server. I have lots of ideas how I will transfer certain features and plugins, but overall, most will have to be custom-made. I'll probably reveal all the info sometime in March, and currently, the planned release date is Sunday, March 23, 2014 at 12:00 midnight EST (Saturday night technically). Can't wait to reveal more soon!
    myst02 likes this.
  2. PEMapModder

PEMapModder Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    PocketServer seems to be most popular, but it does not have good support of custom plugins, and it deops everyone on crashes.
  3. decado

decado Active Member

Minecraft User:
    decado
    Greetings Darunia and other readers

OK, I currently have servers with 3 or the well known hosts all of which are advertised on the Pocketmine login page.

I'll only comment on 2 of them at this point as I've only had the third a short time and the server is not yet configured or open to the pubic.

Point 1 from the pespective of someone who has been involved in I/T for around 30 years both as a hobby and as a profession.

Customer Service
    ----------------------

Service / Customer support on all of them is poor to awful. As an I/T professional I do NOT do support over facebook or twitter. I expect to do it via email so as to be able to keep and collate records with ease and because I don't want my service issues out there in the public domain. Where my provider does both I expect email support to take priority over social media.

They all seem to have their head around the billing and paypal aspect regards email ... it only falls down on support it seems.

Potpotsie is slightly ahead on email customer service over Servercrate. Potpotsie is simply agonisingly slow at 2 to 5 days response time... Servercrate is a 50/50 chance on whether they will respond at all.

Also I notice all of the hosts are quick with the "blame game" as in "Oh .. we didn't get your support ticket, what method did you use to log it with us?"

I dont really care what method was used, these are channels the hosting company put in place, it's their responsibility to make sure they are sufficiently resourced and attended to. I'm not going to chase you from social media to social media. I'll email my issue and I expect a response in a timely manner.

This has been more of an observation of others interactions than my own as I have a depth of experience of my own to draw on and unlike many other poor MCPE hosts I am able to troubleshoot most of my own issues if I have sufficient access which brings me to the next point.

Server Management / Access
    ----------------------------------

Potpotsie is in this respect pretty well pants which negates their slight edge in customer service and uptime. From my experience so far, in a nutshell amongst the current hosts if the hosting panel is not multicraft forget it.

I want full ftp access so as to be able to choose, upload, update and configure my plugins and server in general quickly and efficiently. This business of "email us your request and we'll install the plugin for you" doesn't cut it.

When my Potpotise server came up I emailed them and even attached my required plugins to the email and it took 5 days for them to respond, I'm not even going to bring a server online publically without simpleauth so that was almost 25 % of my first billing period waiting for the server to be usable.

They have addressed this slightly by now adding about 10 of the most common plugins to their server console and they can be installed and to some degree configured via the console but it is still not really a workable solution. Several of the plugins listed are known to have issues with the later APIs and as we know updates to the best plugins sometimes arrive several times a week. I need to be able to update and configure 3 times a day with ANY plugin if this is what is required and this has in fact happened.

Whether you are talking Multicraft or Potpotise's or others inbuilt plugin search and install ability from GitHub and other sources they also are either just not functional or hit and miss due to compatability and other issues.

Then there is backup, I backup my entire server every two days. I have my own custom map which I reload when I do a map reset .... it's not viable to ask for a backup by email or a map installation that way. Not at the speed the hosts are responding and really not at all because it must often be done out of hours.

No, there's no other way around it. FTP access is a must for any serious server host.

This is the primary reason I'll be letting my Potpotsie server go at the end of the current billing period. Their server managment console is wanting, dreadfully slow to reset the server and very limited in managment ability.

Uptime
    ----------

Potpotsie wins this time. The server such as it is is always there and reachable.

Servercrate has a young (read very young) face as CEO. Although I do not know the young man personally from what I can ascertain like many young I/T gurus he's had his moments in the past where his activities may have drifted into shall we say "grey" areas. Youth and folly and all that (Yeah I did it too years ago) . At least this is what has been reported and is easily verifiable to anyone with a quick web search.

Suffice to say that he is not well loved in some quarters and as a result the service can receive periodic DDOS and other attacks. I've had several outages over the last 6 weeks one for several days and in each case struggled to find answers (see support via twitter above). Also there may or may not be some slight flakeyness with his upstream providers going by the comments of his own support staff when you can find their twitter feed (nope still not joining twitter). Also every day or two I experience an hour or two of periodic instability with constant resets. I suspect this may be system work onging but it would be nice to know in advance (see lack of email support feedback above).

When it's up Servercrate is the superior service I have tried so far. When it's not it raises my blood pressure considerably.

Conclusion
    --------------

Most of the Pocketmine hosts I have so far looked into at this stage smack of being a "hobby business" or a young person looking for (playing with?) a future interest in online hosting. Any or all of them could be very good with some genuine market research instead of "I know let's do it this way!" and some serious support.

They might even like to read the above comments as a start

In the end, if it wasn't for the fact that in Australia we pay for all data by the Mb in and out I would just provision a server or VPS in a local data center and run the kids MCPE servers from there. I still might if I can negotiate a deal.

Once again, a short story. Apologies but it's not possible to do the subject justice with less.

Excuse typos and spelling, not the best today and too tired to check

Hope this has been of some help.

I'll update as to the third host when I have some meaningful feedback but they too are a "Multicraft" management console so I am hopeful.

Regards
    Dec
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  4. Darunia18

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    Custom plugins will be very important for my server, although I really liked the looks of everything else I saw from them.

Thank you for this information. I did not know that Potpotsie was a bit complicated on the plugin installation side. I really don't like that about them, especially since my server would require lots of custom plugins and editing/reading of server files quite often, at least for the first month or so.
  5. unerds

unerds Redditor Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    unerds_
    @decado very interesting read, thanks for that.

I've been self hosting for about 8-9 months and I've had to resolve some issues with noise, bandwidth and accessibility - and through all that I had briefly considered paying for hosting.

I managed to reasonably resolve the issues i was having and after reading this - i gotta say - i'm glad that i didn't end up having to go that route.

also, as a moderator at /r/mcpe - we've had a few requests from these hosts to advertise and whatnot, and we've been sticking to a 'no commercial interests' type thing - now i'm a bit more validated in that.

cheers, -u.
  6. shoghicp

shoghicp Staff Member PocketMine Team

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    shoghicp
    Or you can just get an VPS and manage everything yourself ;)
  7. potpotsie

potpotsie New Member

Great insight!! I want to apologize about our support system.... It's finally getting to a 24hr response time! I believe around 85% of tickets get a 24hr reply, with the remaining 15% going NO LONGER than 48hrs at an absolute max :) The custom control panel is still in development, and plugins are now easily installable. Custom plugins will soon be an option as well, I will keep information publicly up to date with Twitter and such! Backups will also be available, along with some other sweet features! I'm sorry about the support issues again, that whole situation is nearly 100% finalized and corrected (now a support email option is available as well)

Some FTP control of some sort is likely bound to the near future, we will keep working on these features! Big changes coming over the next month or so ;)

I would also like to note that the vast majority of users do NOT actually have a dedicated desktop computer. Most of them seem to be younger kids, or mothers trying to help them haha! Because of this, obviously we have geared our panel towards the mobile community. We are working towards a balanced system that takes care of both Desktop and mobile possibilities, once again it shouldn't be long!

Lastly I'd like to thank all of you who posted responses, especially Decado! It's extremely fun and intriguing to read about all of your experiences with the system and to get input, I would have never known about some of these concerns if you hadn't posted them here!

Have a great day all of you!! :)

-potpotsie

DECADO: Send me a PM. I'd like to give you another month totally free! I can see you experienced some issues with support before we began resolving it, and I know that frustrating feeling, nobody deserves that :/
  8. Darunia18

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    I thought it seemed more mobile-oriented, but I'm glad that one exists out there :) Most MCPE-related sites (even these forums) are not compatible with mobile very well. I hope your control panel gets added within the next two months or so, because that'd be awesome! :D
    xktiverz likes this.
  9. Lambo

Lambo Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Lambo
    I use WobHosting, and so far I have had no problems.
    It takes about 2 days for replying to a support ticket, which is fine, and have had %96 percent uptime so far (the server was down for 1 day because of a error in CPanel)

I can also access the server via FTP which is very nice, but I think you can do that with most of the hosts.
    I also got a free SQL database with the server, which is also very nice! I'm not sure if you get that with most of the hosts.

None of my players have been experiencing lag yet, but the server is down right now as we are getting new plugins and maps and stuff...

And, I only pay $13 per month for all of that + a dedicated IP (which I find is very cheap)

Overall, I am very happy with them.
  10. Darunia18

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    That's a pretty nice deal! I just have a couple more questions about their services. 1. How much harddrive space are you given to use? 2. Do they seem to have any restrictions on what plugins you put onto your server or do you have some freedom on that part? Thanks for the reply! :)
  11. tnpxxsheepdog

tnpxxsheepdog Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    TNPXXSHEEPDOG
    Buy a VPS from a company. The MCPE hosts set server slot limits for whatever reason...
    LastHunterKid likes this.
  12. 99leonchang

99leonchang Staff Member Sectional Moderator

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    99leonchang
    I agree with @tnpxxsheepdog VPSs are better for hosting PocketMine servers.
    Unfortunately, it requires a moderate level of linux experience.
    Hosting companies offer good deals on VPSs and some hosting companies have amazing response time, even so far as responding to a support ticket in less than 5 minutes!
    Anyways, best of luck on finding a good server host.
    LastHunterKid and tnpxxsheepdog like this.
  13. iJoshuaHD

iJoshuaHD Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iJoshuaHD
    shared web hosting can run pocketmine?! woot! :O
    LastHunterKid and LDX like this.
  14. 99leonchang

99leonchang Staff Member Sectional Moderator

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    99leonchang
    Nope, @Lambo meant wobhosting
    LastHunterKid and PEMapModder like this.
  15. decado

decado Active Member

Minecraft User:
    decado
    Hi Potpotsie

Been meaning to reply but keep getting side tracked.

Thanks for your answer and it does you credit. I did in my O.P. focus on the negatives of the hosts and perhaps could have highlighted more positives and I will say that I do see you out there promoting and supporting your host more than any of the other heads of operation which is good.

I will also agree with a comment by one of the other posters that for the average MCPE player (under 15 and managing from an IOS or Android device with a few standard plugins) your service does tick most of the boxes. It *is* quite simple and this is what most players would need.

It only starts to become a little wanting for the more serious hosts and they are in the minority at this stage for this game.

Bugs with a new system and company are to be expected and it's good to see the issues are being addressed.

At this stage I will not put you to the trouble of the free months hosting although the offer is greatly appreciated and reflects well. The only reason for this is I am standardising my MCPE server managment method and as it is I do really require ftp access. The turn around for some of the more exotic plugs is just too fast.

As soon as you have it implemented I will sign up again for another month and give it a work over. Your prices and value can not be faulted so it's not like it will break the bank.

All the best for the future

Regards
    Dec

16. Lambo

Lambo Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Lambo
    1. I'm not sure exactly how much space I have... but it's plenty! At the moment this is what is says:
    HTML:
    Memory: 0% (127.84 MB)
    2. I'm pretty sure you are free to edit whatever you want. You have complete access over the whole server. + if you have 2 servers hosted from them (or more) and you connect to the server's FTP, you can modify all of them! :D
    LastHunterKid likes this.
  17. Darunia18

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    Thanks for all the replies you guys! This has really helped me understand all the hosting aspects of the PocketMine community a lot more, but I have talked to my fellow administrators and we have decided that we will be using a VPS for this, as we have found some really cheap VPS servers and will have the freedom we would need to use custom plugins, fix issues ourselves (for the most part), and access all our files to easily maintain it.

I am quite disappointed to find out some of the negative aspects of these hosts, but I know some of them are just starting up their business and are working towards some very nice goals :)
    decado and Lambo like this.
  18. decado

decado Active Member

Minecraft User:
    decado
    I hear you Darunia

Any host that uses the Multicraft managment engine generally lets you have 99% of the access you have with a VPS and the web based managment makes certain aspects of managing your players and doing lookups etc actually easier than if you run your own from scratch but you are still at the mercy of the hosts down time and how many other servers they are running off the blade which will change how your server performs.

Besides, the geolocation and alias plugins givr you a lot of the extra functionality as far as user managment goes.

I actually provisioned a VPS today, 3Ghz CPU, 2Gb RAM, 50 Gb disk space etc. It's not what you'd call cheap by U.S. standards either as we pay for all data here but in terms of reliability and being able to use it for other functions as well it made sense in the long run.

I may maintain Dadongs Dungeon for some months but my primary server will be growing over the next few months on the VPS. I always have more users than slots so this one will be a whitelisted one for sake of my blood pressure lol

Regards
    Dec
    Darunia18 likes this.
  19. iJoshuaHD

iJoshuaHD Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iJoshuaHD
    My server got ddosed and I thought pocketmine is hard to be ddosed, I really nneed a new host thats more a little secure annd can mitigate some attacks. Its bs people keep ddosing server for nothing. It is stupid.
    LastHunterKid and xktiverz like this.
  20. ZacHack

ZacHack Staff Member Sectional Moderator

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    _ZacHack_
    There's very little you can do to stop ddosing and very expensive. Some hosts are secure though