Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the difference between Survival and Adventure as well as some other comments

Comments in 'General Discussion' started by Justmike, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Justmike

Justmike New Member

Minecraft User:
    J70
    Ok, this might sound like a stupid question and I would have thought an easy one to find the answer to but it hasn't been. Can someone please explain to me the difference between survival and adventure gamemodes? I personally don't play minecraft, but I set up a PMCE server to educate my son and his fellow second grade scouts on networking. Of course they love it, but I'm quickly learning that the is a gap in communication between my 42 year old vocabulary and their 8 year old vocabulary.

We started with a private LAN party and now I have it properly configured for accessibility over the internet on a CENTOS server. Things are going well but I'm interested in making it a bit more advanced interaction besides just everyone getting on and wacking each other.

I've seen some references to a base economy structure with Jobs and purchasing from chests so if someone has links or if there are threads of specific value in expanding the game exprience I would greatly appreciate some direction.

On a personal note this server is working like a charm, although I've had a few crashes and still have those logs but I'm not sure exactly where or how to post them out. Speaking of logs is there any concern about not clearing the consul log file. Finally I love the plugins being in PHP always good to keep those skills fresh.
  2. Darunia18

Darunia18 Staff Member Sectional Moderator

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    I'll be happy to explain some things to you!
    Minecraft is usually played in either survival or creative mode, survival where you gather your resources, build your base, farm, etc. In creative, you have access to every item and in an unlimited amount. Recently, a third gamemode has become popular known as adventure. With this, a player has a health bar like in survival and can kill other players and eat food to regain health, but cannot destroy blocks, only place blocks they are given. This gamemode is primarily used for something called "adventure maps", which are maps pre-made to include necessary items and usually consists of puzzles, a story, "parkour" (which is just fancy talk for trying to jump from one elevated block to another without falling to reach a goal), and other varied types of gameplay. Adventure mode is also used for minigame servers. If you would like to know more minigame information, just let me know, but I'm not sure if you would need that information. So, I'm guessing you'll probably want to stick with survival or creative mode for the most fun.

As for these add-ons, they are known as "plugins". There are a large number of plugins and most should be very easy to set up. It is as simple as downloading it, dropping it into your "plugins" folder in the server directory, and it will be up and running the next time you start the server. To use most commands, a player is usually required to be set as on "op". I'm not sure if you're familiar with that, but all you need to do is add the username in the op list txt file in the server directory or in the console, type "/op username" and replace username with their in-game name.

One last thing I would like to mention is that some plugins and even some built-in commands are very powerful and can allow a player to cause mass chaos if not controlled well, so if you want to allow these kids to be able to use some commands useful to them but not be allowed to shut down the server, delete files, etc, I would recommend getting the plugin "PermissionPlus". It is easy to install and you can easily allow or deny access to certain commands. There are three built-in ranks: admin, trust, and guest. New players are automatically made guests and you can make yourself an admin to have complete control right in the game. It has some commands already in the .yml file that you can set to true/false for certain commands, but be sure to add in any commands that are included in any other plugins you download and set those to true/false as well.

I hope this all helps. If you have any other questions, be free to ask and I'll give you as much information as I can :)
    Gurubashi, Falk, xktiverz and 2 others like this.
  3. shoghicp

shoghicp Staff Member PocketMine Team

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    shoghicp
    As for the crash logs, you can report them on the Github repository, on Issues
    https://github.com/PocketMine/PocketMine-MP/issues

Upload them somewhere and link them in one Issue
    Darunia18 likes this.