Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion What do you want from MCPE 0.9.0/PocketMine 1.4?

Comments in 'General Discussion' started by Darunia18, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Darunia18

Darunia18 Staff Member Sectional Moderator

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    Hello. I don't know how most of you guys are, but I tend to watch Minecraft PC, Minecraft PE, Bukkit, and PocketMine development quite closely. Anyways, I wanted to post a discussion and see what you guys want from the upcoming 0.9.0 update of MCPE and the long-awaited 1.4 update of PocketMine.

First off, I want to post everything that is already confirmed for 0.9.0 and PM-1.4 first just so there is no question about that. With the 0.9.0 update, Mojang plans to add larger world sizes, including infinite worlds. The world sizes include Legacy (the current size), small, medium, large, and infinite. The sizes of small, medium, and large are not confirmed yet. Included in these larger worlds are new biomes, including all the ones up to the 1.7 PC update. They have also added in the option to generate caves, tall grass, lava pools, mineshafts, and possibly an MCPE-exclusive structure that replaces the Nether Reactor. For mobs, they are adding villagers, Endermen, slimes, wolves, ocelots, silverfish, and possibly Ghasts. For blocks, they are adding hardened clay, stained clay, red sand, mycelium, podzol, packed ice, granite, andesite, diorite, all the logs, planks, stairs, and slabs for acacia and dark oak wood, jungle, acacia, and dark oak saplings, all the 1.7 flowers, vines, lily pads, cocoa pods, double tall grass, and large ferns. In later 0.9.x releases, they plan on adding a new control system, an in-game skin changer, and possibly boats, in-game music, and a new, organized crafting system.

As for PocketMine 1.4, they are hard at work on adding infinite worlds and all the new blocks and *drumroll* full implementation of mobs and minecarts! On top of this, they are making some big changes to the API to reduce lag and make servers run a lot smoother. This will be the biggest update to PocketMine so far, and it will be pretty fantasic!

Now that I cleared all that up, let me explain to you what I want to see. This will mostly be more multiplayer-based things that I want in MCPE rather than actual gameplay, but you may discuss gameplay/item stuff later.

So from MCPE, I really want to see a better multiplayer system set up. I want Mojang to have an account system so players have to login to join most servers, although some server owners could choose to use "offline mode" and let any player use any username. But I really want an official authentication system set up so that server owners don't have to deal with this issue and plugins that crash and break their server. I would also like to see multi-world support and in-game gamemode switching as well. Another thing that would be really nice is just that the client doesn't load the world automatically, but instead only takes the world from the server so that those weird world-loading bugs don't happen (because those are annoying), and in-game gamemode switching will allow players to switch from creative to survival without needing to be kicked from the server. If this was added, it would allow admins and plugin creators to easily test their work, as well as players to teleport between survival and creative worlds without needing to be kicked and losing their slot on the server. And with in-game gamemode switching, they would have to add nighttime (and all time changes) to creative mode. Now I will discuss some things that would happen outside the servers. Currently when you add a server to your list of worlds, it just shows the name, IP, and port. In this next update, I would love if they added some extra features to this list like if the server was online, how many players are on, how many slots are left, and a simple message of the day from the server, just like with PC servers. It would also be nice if you can edit server info, such as name, IP, and port, later on, as well as move it's location on the list. This next idea is just a bit nit-picky, but it would be nice to have a separate "Multiplayer" tab in the main menu separate from "Play" just to keep servers and singleplayer worlds organized.

As for PocketMine 1.4, all I really want added that hasn't been announced is a permissions system similar to Bukkit's, because PocketMine REALLY needs a permissions system. Every time I think of creating a server or think with a cool plugin idea, I'm always hit with a giant roadblock: I can't limit what my players are allowed to do. I can limit what commands they can use, but I can't use permission nodes to determine what events are allowed to occur and what can't.

Sorry if this post is really long and unorganized guys. If you want me to organize it in more of a list instead of paragraph form, tell me in the comments and I will edit that as soon as I can. Well, I really hope some of you guys have some other ideas, because I'd love to hear them! I've had this on my mind for quite a few months and I really want to discuss some of these things with other people, as well as hear some other features that they'd want to be added, either from a plugin developer's point of view, or a server owner's, or even a player's. I love the PocketMine and MCPE community, and I can't wait to see where else it will go!
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    Elmo, jython234, Spurs_Man321 and 2 others like this.
  2. iksaku

iksaku Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iksaku
    I really want:
    1. Player count for servers
    Spurs_Man321 likes this.
  3. shoghicp

shoghicp Staff Member PocketMine Team

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    shoghicp
    Nice thread!

I'll answer a few PocketMine-MP questions, and other technical aspects about MCPE 0.9.0

We already have added them!

Maybe not the biggest for the end-user, but from the code perspective we have (and we are) rewriting everything. Not all has to be coded from scratch, but has to be edited to work correctly with other things.

It is partially in :)
    A Bukkit alike basic permissions system will be implemented, not to remove the permissions plugins, but as a common framework for them and other plugins. If you are moving from Bukkit to PocketMine plugin development, you'll see that the Alpha_1.4 has lots of similar core things (like the Event API and Permissions API). We have also "removed" all the ******API.php files and moved them to a better place.

We have got to spawn players, move them, and being spawned/despawned depending on the chunk they are in. This was the first step. Now all the Entity core methods will be written, so we can spawn other entities.

Now, for MCPE 0.9.0

THIS is going into 0.9.0. I don't know about the GUI, but Johan is implementing it to be fully server-side. This means that everything will be managed by the server side now (PocketMine). I don't know if we will be able to move the selected hotbar slot, but everything else will be easier to be sent by the server.

Yes. This is going into 0.9.0. The client doesn't rely on the seed anymore to pre-generate the world. MCPE 0.9.0 includes a big protocol update, for example, FullChunkDataPacket (compressed :D).

Well, I asked Johan about this (between other things in this post, but I won't tell about them ;)), and the problem before was that StartGamePacket changed the gamemode correctly... But generated the world again and caused weird bugs and ghost terrain. Since new chunks are not generated, it might work directly :)

This is already into PocketMine-MP :D

This was already asked to Johan before 0.7.6, and he said that if he had time before 0.9.0 he might implement it. I reminded that to him a few weeks ago too ;)
  4. jerlegoman

jerlegoman Active Member

Minecraft User:
    jeremy647
    I did here from mojangs mcpe 9.0 update page that their adding boats and wolfs
    Spurs_Man321 likes this.
  5. Darunia18

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    Thanks for the reply! :D Everything I keep hearing about makes me more and more excited for 0.9.0 and 1.4! You never get to hear some of the technological side of the updates from Johan or Tomasso's Twitter, so it's nice to get a confirmation from someone who has a bit of direct contact with them :D
    Spurs_Man321 likes this.
  6. Darunia18

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    I would also like to add some other stuff I want to see: It would help a lot if we had custom messages for when a player is kicked from a server, when it's full, when they're banned, etc.
    Spurs_Man321 likes this.
  7. shoghicp

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    shoghicp
    Yep, that also was on the wish list I sent. It *might* get implemented
    Spurs_Man321 and Darunia18 like this.
  8. iksaku

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iksaku
    Wow! MCPE 0.9 and PMMP 1.4 will prove that MCPE can be at the same level of MCPC... either using phones :D
  9. Men'o'Gang!

Men'o'Gang! Ban Evader Banned

But that means in 1.4 the old plugins wont work anymore? and are they still php? is the update going to use plugin in Java and PHP? or can it load old plugins of API 11 and up? i hate that if taht happens
    Spurs_Man321 likes this.
  10. Darunia18

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    It will still only be PHP, but the API will be more like Bukkit's. And as far as I know, Most (if not all) plugins will need a rewrite, but it shouldn't be too much work. The update really is necessary though to achieve the level of awesomeness from many Bukkit plugins! :D
    Spurs_Man321 likes this.
  11. shoghicp

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    shoghicp
    Plugin developers will like it :) (maybe not when they have to adapt them :p)

It is more debuggable, you can do things from anywhere (not saving the server objetc/long object paths anymore), it is faster, event data is known beforehand, and they can be cancelled/forced/changed easily.
  12. Darunia18

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    As long as you guys actually finish the documentation on the wiki, everything will be a nice and semi-smooth transition :)
    Spurs_Man321 likes this.
  13. KnightRider

KnightRider New Member

Minecraft User:
    KnightRider
    Great News!!! Can't wait for functioning MOB support :)
  14. iksaku

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iksaku
    I can't wait for it... I think that I will stop trying to learn the actual API and wait until 1.4 xD
  15. Darunia18

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    Oh @shoghicp I just thought of something else! So with the addition of minecarts in 0.8, they added the sitting animation to players. I'm not sure if this is possible with MCPE, but some Bukkit plugins are able to give players that sit animation when out of minecarts, having plugins like chairs or riding any mob they want, etc. So, if it's possible, are you going to add anything in the API to give players an animation at all, or would we have to try and figure it out the hard way? And I guess sleeping is an animation as well, so would that be possible too? Or would the client not allow this to happen at all?
    Spurs_Man321 likes this.
  16. Men'o'Gang!

Men'o'Gang! Ban Evader Banned

yea i think so too!
    Spurs_Man321 likes this.
  17. iksaku

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iksaku
    xD
    Spurs_Man321 likes this.
  18. shoghicp

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    shoghicp
    There is a packet, SetEntityLinkPacket
    I'm sure that it allows to attach any entity to another entity
  19. FireStar

FireStar New Member

Minecraft User:
    FireStar
    They should add EVERYTHING in minecraft computer version to MCPE.
    Spurs_Man321 likes this.
  20. iksaku

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iksaku
    That isn't a very easy task for the Mojang team neither for PocketMine Team :p