Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion The state of Pocketmine.

Comments in 'Forum Discussion' started by iamadpond, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Extreme_Heat

Extreme_Heat Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Extreme_Heat
    Companies does tend to take these things seriously, sometimes even being one-sided. Take CraftBukkit for an example, there doesn't have to be any legal proceedings as they are legally obligated to take action in trademark/copyright issues as per U.S. law (Github/Curse were U.S.-based). This is why you see people really picky when it comes down to legal issues. Nobody saw that coming thus it triggered havoc in the PC server community.

Will note that most people working on MiNET do so privately on their own agenda (admittedly, I'm apart of that!). Inevitable when people want to advance it for their own cause. MiNET's community is fairly small and limited to for the most part developers running their own servers as there's a high knowledge barrier and complicated setup procedure that only works properly on Windows :p
    applqpak likes this.
  2. iksaku

iksaku Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iksaku
    I'm not referencing MiNET software itself, I'm talking about their comunity, which is a pretty great community ;)

Knowledge barrier and limitations are only for new individuals willing to use it, but nothing that anybody can not surpass ;)
    applqpak likes this.
  3. Extreme_Heat

Extreme_Heat Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Extreme_Heat
    By "community" I was referring to the people that use MiNET. Of course people can pass the knowledge barrier, but your average Joe looking to make a PE server isn't going to be able to a pass them ;). Setting up VS, compiling it, and then changing a config file with no documentation is hard for most people. Plus the "how do I download plugins" part which I get asked a lot with people using MiNET :p.
    applqpak likes this.
  4. TheDragonRing

TheDragonRing New Member

Minecraft User:
    TheDragonRing
    I know my word may not count for much when it comes to the final outcome... But my opinion is just that we need to keep PocketMine alive, and if we can't do it under the PocketMine name (can't manage to contact @shoghicp): then move the community and the project somewhere else under a different name. Then once @shoghicp shows himself and it's possible to contact him we can move the updated project back into the PocketMine repo and the community back to the PocketMine forums/name. Any determined person could do this, it just requires support from a whole lot of other people, enough money to buy a domain (usually $16 per year or cheaper, pretty easy) and a small amount of coding knowledge or website management knowledge (which doesn't take too long to learn) and you can either hunt out good free forum softwares, or find a way to raise enough money to buy a copy of XenForo or some other good forum software. Thanks @iamadpond for getting this kickstarted though :)
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    applqpak and Dog2puppy like this.
  5. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    This is what every PocketMine derivative says in the beginning. And now?
    This is why there are so many PocketMine derivatives. Guess what, this half post sounds like explaining why so many people made PocketMine derivatives.
    applqpak, TheDragonRing and Potato like this.
  6. dktapps

dktapps Active Member

The difference is that the derivatives, as you call them - a lot of the people who have made forks THINK they are good enough to fill PM's shoes, and they are not - a lot of them are self-proclaimed "devs" who are little more than kids with a little bit of programming knowledge.

Look at Genisys, ImagicalMine, ClearSky - they all copy (or in the case of IM, copied) developments from each other, and also from PM. They do have good parts of their own, but they sure aren't up to quality standards with PM. And there's no denying that if they didn't have @Intyre fixing up protocol updates for them every update, that'd be the end of them. Who do they look to when an MCPE update hits and everything suddenly won't work? PM, of course.

I'm not trying to imply that everybody who works on forks is like that. I'm a Genisys dev myself. What I am trying to say is that too many of them were spoiled by such "devs". I spend a lot of my development efforts at Genisys cleaning up other people's mess.

I disagree. I disagree a LOT. That would be the requirement for any shoddy, poor-quality fork, such as any of the 18446744073709551616 existing forks. To bring PM up to standard, it needs the absolute best people working on it, and no less.

PM sets the bar. PM has the devs who really know what they are doing. And that's why I think this new generation of PM, whatever it may be, WILL be better than any of the forks - because it will have the REAL devs working on it, the ones who actually know what they are doing.
    Blabla, Mat, applqpak and 1 other person like this.
  7. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    I think this statement is not neutral enough. Objectively, there are indeed some able developers, although they unfortunately chose to work with self-proclaimed developers who know almost nothing. Just to give an example, the basic redstone mechanism they implemented is not something that normal people can do.

My point is, unless you have the legitimacy of being the official, unique or at least the distinctive continuation of PocketMine, you have no difference from those derivatives. They can't survive if they are all rubbish like what you described.
    applqpak, 17bhata and dktapps like this.
  8. dktapps

dktapps Active Member

That's what I meant. But too many of the forks have been spoiled by such self-proclaimed developers. That's a trap that new PM must not fall into.
    applqpak and luca28pet like this.
  9. dktapps

dktapps Active Member

You're right, and I've edited that post down a little.
    applqpak likes this.
  10. Primus

Primus Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    PrimusLV
    Maybe let's make a poll, we are community after all. @shoghicp obviously doesn't care. Just make decision already.
    Survingo likes this.
  11. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    [​IMG]
    applqpak and Dog2puppy like this.
  12. CallumDouglas

CallumDouglas New Member

Minecraft User:
    Callum9966
    Maybe @shoghicp is dead
  13. 17bhata

17bhata New Member

Minecraft User:
    Deathstroke
    Assuming that there isn't a robot posting his Twitter posts and that everyone at Mojang is ignoring his death, he is not dead but simply ignoring this project
  14. CallumDouglas

CallumDouglas New Member

Minecraft User:
    Callum9966
    I think we should do a poll over what the community thinks
  15. Muqsit

Muqsit Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Muqsit
    A little off topic from what you all are discussing, I've always wanted the "Plugin Developer" tag next to my name on this forum. Hope we get a reliable Plugin Reviewer...some day....soon.
  16. Legoboy0215

Legoboy0215 Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    Legoboy0215
    Sorry if I am late, but doesn't shog work for Mojang? If he supports PocketMine, eh... Wouldn't he get fired from his job? I am not saying what he is doing is right, but would anyone here would sacrifice your job just for a side project you made 3 years ago? I wouldn't.
    applqpak, TheDragonRing and SOFe like this.
  17. TheDragonRing

TheDragonRing New Member

Minecraft User:
    TheDragonRing
    Guess both of those are true :/

Sometimes I just wish things like this were simpler...
    I completely agree. When I said:
    I meant for setting up a website etc, sorry about the confusion.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    applqpak, 17bhata and dktapps like this.
  18. Magicode

Magicode Active Member

Minecraft User:
    PokemonHero101
    Well, I have been watching the PM forums for about a year now, and this topic finally made me join. @shoghicp probably isn't here for a good reason, lets leave it at that. What we really need to do is find out what we are going to do with Pocketmine. That's the main question this discussion is supposed to answer right? Let's focus on that and not on where @shoghicp went. We should figure out what the community wants to do, and build a basis of how we should best do it from there.
    Blabla, applqpak, dktapps and 4 others like this.
  19. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    I'm sorry to make this off-topic post, but purely out of curiosity I found that your first post is about running PocketMine on Raspberry Pi 3.
    applqpak and TheDragonRing like this.
  20. 64FF00

64FF00 Active Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    64FF00
    Very noice... I guess this is the end of PocketMine
    applqpak, Muqsit and SOFe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.