Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion The state of Pocketmine.

Comments in 'Forum Discussion' started by iamadpond, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iamadpond

iamadpond Banned

Minecraft User:
    iamadpond
    The Captain has left the ship..
    Prologue
    I'm writing this to address the status of the community. After coming back one day, reading @PEMapModder farewell message and the philosophy tied to it. He highlighted several issues in the community, to which I'm going to give my opinions on.

Beginnings

I joined the minecraft PE community around early 2013/2012/2011 [I can't remember at this point] after being shown a video by a friend of a early attempt by Shoghicp to get his serverside software working [Mainly just a connection proof video]. The magic in my eyes was the good old client certificate that everyone had to install at one point. It allowed a centerlized server listing to be useful to players. This was around the time Mojang was trying to capitalise on hosting servers for people, too which previous code was already in place for Shoghicp to take advantage of.

At the start of this whole era, only a handful of servers ever existed for the potentially hundreds, or thousands of players that would discover Pocketmine each day. Along with my friend, we were fortunate enough to be able to put some money together to buy a VPS, [a modest one at that] and host one of the very few servers at that time. Infinity Server Network [If you remember that name, you can call yourself a veteran at this point]. We discovered a cute little way to promote our server on the early listings by investigating why there was servers always at the top of the list. We found that if you have a server reporting back with 0/0 players, it would always be at the top xD. Shoghicp found out and banned the servers we made at the time. Fun times that was.

ISN died following the huge influx of servers onto the Pocketmine, and partially to blame by switching to windows. Which kinda screwed with my head having been with linux for the months ISN was up. After we died, The pocketmine forums was initially setup, and I alongside Eggster was assigned global moderator. The forum was at its strongest, having great input from the pocketmine team, and the community who wished to help each other with their own goals.

Exodus

Things become a little shaky after this point. Minecraft was just bought out by Microsoft [They were and still are a company who was always behind the trend of the market they so desperately wanted to pursue. Circa Skype, Linkedin, Zune]. And Shoghicp was hired by Mojang as a full time minecraft PE developer. The community was still strong at this point, but a problem was soon about to eclipse.

The rate at which new members joined, and the rate the asked questions overtook the capacity for genuine and skilled members of the community could deal with them. This resulted in a deficit of community members with able skills to answer.

[​IMG]

Where the blue line represented skilled community members, and the red line(s) represented new members with huge amounts of questions. If the red line shifts up, that means community members with skills were leaving [and they did due to the huge sprawling community we had] and so less questions were being answered. Supply > Demand

TL; DR Skilled members left, questions pilled up, no one answered. Community became a "taking" community rather than a "giving community. Only focusing on their own issues and projects. No synergy exists.
    People realised this, and decided to go and create their own communities and projects to which they could provide better support and hence have more users using their offspring of the pocketmine code. Which led to a community schism.

What Now?

Based on the amount of money pocketmine gets in donations, and the existing staff. I estimate the community to survive for about another 1-2 years to the delight of some people. However, you cannot ignore we are dying, and will continue to unless this trend stops.

What can we do?

I encourage those who have forked the pocketmine project, to look inwards and help revive the project again. You may want to have your own control over a project [But lets be honest, you arn't even giving pocketmine credit anyone even though you are using it's code], but if you want your project to ever live past a year of use. You need to contribute to your foundations, IE Pocketmine. I don't know much about who has access to the Pocketmine Main branch, or even who is even working on it. But it's being really clear that one update might permanently break the software as no one would be updating it. Intyre can't update it forever and may very well stop at a future date, and with no one to watch out for it. It'll die forever. So please, if you are actually competent and not a server host who feels they are up to it "Just because", give Intyre a shout to help him out.

The Future
    Currently we are in the works of hiring a new development team to take on the project alongside the original pocketmine-mp team from the past. We are currently working on recruiting new staff and plugin reviewers.

Happy coup d'etat.

STAY TUNED.

... but his mates shouldn't follow someone off a cliff.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  2. Extreme_Heat

Extreme_Heat Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Extreme_Heat
    Good points made here but I'd say this is something only @shoghicp can fix. There's not enough active people maintaining the repo and that's not going to fix itself.
    archie426, Creeperface and applqpak like this.
  3. iamadpond

iamadpond Banned

Minecraft User:
    iamadpond
    Maybe that's what needs to change, Anyone who was as interested in the project as the likes of @PEMapModder should contact Shoghicp at their earliest convenience to discuss a project takeover/contribution rights.
    Primus, SOFe and applqpak like this.
  4. MCPEPIG

MCPEPIG Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    MCPEPIG
    Genisys and ClearSky (And other so called "forks") aren't even PocketMine forks or forks at all o_O
    MTwinz and Legoboy0215 like this.
  5. iamadpond

iamadpond Banned

Minecraft User:
    iamadpond
    How'd you mean? :) [Side note: The issues with licenses I have these days is people pick the most open source one with good intentions. But some don't realise your name or credits don't usually survive to the project someone creates with your code and your license, resulting in your work simply blurring into another persons work.]
    applqpak and HotFireyDeath like this.
  6. MCPEPIG

MCPEPIG Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    MCPEPIG
    If you go on a fork, it'll say "forked from userororganization/repo", but when you go on ClearSky or Genisys it doesnt say it.
    MTwinz and SOFe like this.
  7. Gamecrafter

Gamecrafter Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    This means that they didn't directly fork it, they downloaded the source from the main source and re-uploaded it. But I noticed some other repos without the "forked from user/repo", while they're actually forked. Might investigate that.
    Licenses are useless, it's up to you to enforce it. :)
    applqpak likes this.
  8. andre_the_gamer

andre_the_gamer Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Andre_The_Gamer
    My opinion is that:

PocketMine-MP should change it license.... "You are free to use, modify, but cannot re-distrubute it.... or upload it... :D
  9. MCPEPIG

MCPEPIG Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    MCPEPIG
    or kill it. :p
    applqpak and Legoboy0215 like this.
  10. Tim // robske Büba

Tim // robske Büba Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    robske_110
    Well, the problem is how should we help the main pocketmine. No-one merges PRs. Shogihcp seems to really have forgotten this community. And I'm not just saying that. Even Intyre pointed out that he/she had no contact to shoghicp since ages. (By the way: I'm a dev from a fork. And i'd really like to help out. But if PRs get never merged, it takes much motivation away.)
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    andre_the_gamer likes this.
  11. iamadpond

iamadpond Banned

Minecraft User:
    iamadpond
    Best to assume @shoghicp Died. He does visit the forums, but he's basically dead. No point crying for him.
  12. iamadpond

iamadpond Banned

Minecraft User:
    iamadpond
    *UPDATE*
    mikemike17347 and applqpak like this.
  13. Tim // robske Büba

Minecraft User:
    robske_110
    nice! (The update)
  14. Tim // robske Büba

Minecraft User:
    robske_110
    And i have a recommendation for a dev team member @dktapps. He is really good, seems very friendly, (and is a native speaker, so commit messages wouldn't look like fixed sth yejwsai)
  15. andre_the_gamer

andre_the_gamer Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Andre_The_Gamer
    I argree, cause i've seems PR's that has a really good point. But has not been merge from time-to-time.
  16. TheDeibo

TheDeibo Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    TheDeibo
    You give a fair point. I seriously think that PocketMine will last longer than 4 years IF we all do our part. I do dread the day that PocketMine-MP closes down, as you said, if this trend continues, then the ending is obvious.

So, let's all do our part, and do what's right, instead of wrong. If you make a mistake, rectify it. There is a simple option on the forum to Edit or Delete your message. Even I (I admit) use them quite frequently. After reading my own quotes, I see myself sometimes doing exactly what @iamadpond described at the top. Others may not see it, but I do. Thats just me saying, Everyone makes mistakes, it takes a foolish-man like me to admit it, but its true. SO like I said, use that handy feature. EDIT and DELETE
    fycarman likes this.
  17. Gamecrafter

Gamecrafter Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    What about the issue of "inactive" staff? People were complaining about this awhile back (couple months ago). Is that issue still as important?
    SOFe likes this.
  18. iamadpond

iamadpond Banned

Minecraft User:
    iamadpond
    Believe me they are not as inactive as you may think, just sick of poking
    a dead horse.
  19. Extreme_Heat

Extreme_Heat Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Extreme_Heat
    Based on what I'm reading here, you're looking to make yet another fork of PocketMine. At the end of the day, shoghicp will be in charge of the main PocketMine GitHub repository and he'll have to add people if they want to contribute to the official repository. This is what I meant by "only shoghicp can fix this".
    applqpak likes this.
  20. iamadpond

iamadpond Banned

Minecraft User:
    iamadpond
    Shoghicp isn't coming back. We're in talks to take over the forums etc, and if failed at that, we'll redirect all members on the forums to the new pocketmine team's forums. The team is like a hydra, if you cut one head off, another will assume its role.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.