Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Management strategies for dealing with griefers + dynamic ip addresses

Comments in 'General Discussion' started by unerds, Jan 14, 2014.

1. unerds

unerds Redditor Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    unerds_
    hey so, i just want to migrate this discussion over to this new section!

Basically, i've had a few griefers on the Worst Server Ever that can easily evade their /banip simply by waiting out their IP expiry/reassignment period.

Just wondering if any among us has any ideas for mitigating this issue.

Obviously, we don't enjoy the security of a paid account type system like PC Minecraft - so banning usernames is USELESS.

banning IP addresses is effective in many cases (most cases i've come across actually)

but those with dynamic IP addresses can easily get around this (often without any knowledge as to why, which is kinda hilarious)

i've thought of this as a potential solution. i think it would be workable in some instances, as long as we could approve a specific IP within that subnet, so at least we could green light someone on a static IP within that range...

admittedly, i'm not 100% certain on how that works, what the protocols and limitations are for dynamic ips, subnets and such actually are.

out of the 6 or 7 griefers with dynamic ips that i've had to deal with, 1 of them did share a subnet with a perfectly legitimate player, according to my console logs.

so 1/6 .... 16% - not terrible odds, but also not very great... especially not for those who get blacklisted for no apparent reason.

however, if that 1 person's IP was static, we'd just ban the entire subnet, and approve their ip within that range.

it might be worth some further investigation, maybe there are clearer patterns for dynamic ips or some other means of recognizing it.
  2. SpiderPig

SpiderPig Active Member

Minecraft User:
    SpiderPig
    I'm working on a plugin for this!
    unerds likes this.
  3. unerds

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    unerds_
    hey that's awesome!

i have a test server if needed...

though we'd also have to find someone with a dynamic ip in order to really give it a go.
  4. SpiderPig

SpiderPig Active Member

Minecraft User:
    SpiderPig
    The plugin I'm making will have a tool for dynamic ips
  5. unerds

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    unerds_
    curious, would it allow for whitelisted IPs within the subnet range to connect?