Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Stop the fire from spreading

Comments in 'Forum Discussion' started by PEMapModder, Jan 18, 2016.

?

Do you agree?

1. Yes.

91.7%
  2. No.

8.3%
  1. PocketKiller

PocketKiller Notable Member

that is so true, (im 10 also)
  2. TheDeibo

TheDeibo Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    TheDeibo
    He Was 10. How he's 17
  3. Legoboy0215

Legoboy0215 Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    Legoboy0215
    A human being, with the right mind and right heart can do anything.
    applqpak and PocketKiller like this.
  4. Hotshot_9930

Hotshot_9930 Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    HotshotHD
    It's true that age does not matter. But let's be honest here, most 10 year olds don't have a mature mind.
    Of course their are lots of mature kids out there, but the majority Is immature.
    I'm not stereotyping, but this is reality and it's the truth.
    applqpak, TheDeibo and PocketKiller like this.
  5. TheDeibo

TheDeibo Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    TheDeibo
    yet another wise quote, but this time from Legoboy0215. :)
    Legoboy0215 and applqpak like this.
  6. PEMapModder

PEMapModder Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    The point I was making was against spammers, not people who make mistakes accidentally.
    I never suggested that they should be banned.
    One needs to be responsible for what he posts. But fine, we all know that there are human mistakes.

I am suggesting that people who answer without even knowing what they are talking should be discouraged. Not banned or what. Maybe just something like "dislike", a "downvote", or any forms of discouragement other than a completely separate reply that may appear many posts behind and readers won't see it. For example, some people see somewhere we can get a level object by $event->getPlayer()->getLevel(), then they start posting that everywhere, even if irrelevant.
    As a matter of fact, I would tell you that all these months I had been fighting the fire. I am pretty sure that I had changed how this community goes. If I didn't visit this website at all, we may now be seeing a community of entirely different culture, maybe even a world of code copiers. If you say to "wait for the professionals", I would tell you that many people have their own fire extinguishers at home. When the fire is still small, we have to try our best to stop it from spreading. Maybe the fire from the cooking oven just burnt the paper next to it. Instead of running away and telling everyone to evacuate and wait for firefighters to come and put out the fire, take out the fire extinguisher yourself and put out the fire. It is a small fire, after all. If you are watching closely enough, the fire wouldn't be big enough to be uncontrollable.
    And about that, I consider myself to be at least half professional. Why mention the Report button? The whole thread is about making people who post ridiculously wrong and irrelevant replies be liable for what they posted. Why click the Report button? Clicking it won't turn a wrong answer into a right answer, or delete the wrong answer. The Report button is for reporting posts that are against forums etiquette/rules, not for people that are posting wrongly.
    And there is one simple rule. If you don't even know what you are talking about, don't even post at all. You are telling people to use $this->getServer()->getDefaultLevel(), but why default level? You wrote that just because you saw someone else saying that to "get a level" in another thread, and you don't even know why. You are telling people to use $this->getConfig() instead of using new Config() because I mentioned about the hazard of using $this->config in another thread, but you don't even notice that the author was trying to use Config as a database, not a configuration file.
    And this is different from misunderstanding. For example, recently someone thought that $level->unload(); $level->load(); would reload a level. This is what it appears to be true if you read the documentation, but it is actually not true. But at least you have done some research by your own and you at least think that you know something about it, and you are willing to accept that this function isn't for reloading a level when you are told about that.
    They are two different things, posting answers wrongly and posting ridiculous answers.

In case you are wondering, "you" refers to nobody specific here.
  7. Legoboy0215

Minecraft User:
    Legoboy0215
    You know, better ask some staff for a 'Firefighter' badge :)
  8. TheDeibo

TheDeibo Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    TheDeibo
    offtopic: i am a young firefighter (Fire cadets)
    minebuilder0110 likes this.
  9. TheDeibo

TheDeibo Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    TheDeibo
    A fair point.
    All i was doing is showing the other side too. :) (Politics is everywhere)
    with everything, they is always a positive, AND a negative. you just got to know how to balance it. Thats just life.

(Im also using "you" to no one specific)

That science quote may seem irrelevant to some people, but I think it fits in perfectly to the conversation.
    That quote includes everything i mean.
  10. Legoboy0215

Minecraft User:
    Legoboy0215
    We can tell people to learn. And nice metaphor there. I like how you compared the situation with fire. Who would like to sign up for this firefighting?
    TheDeibo and PocketKiller like this.
  11. PEMapModder

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    Note that there is a condition behind that - action and reaction force work on two different objects by each other.
    That's actually what's happening. By watching the forums to put out the fire, it has spent me quite a lot of time. I pull the community back from going the wrong way, but I'm being pulled back getting a lot of time wasted as well.
  12. minebuilder0110

minebuilder0110 Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    Apparitional
    What is quite disappointing is that there are far too many people with lighters and deodorants than people with fire extinguishers. I would say, most of the people who are part of this discussion, and few more out there are one of them who can handle the fire extinguishers. But there are far too many fire for them to handle all of them, which is why I think that stopping the fire completely is impossible, unless someone becomes a staff and gives out warnings and etc. However, this will ONLY stop the fire, and the community is going to be extremely strict, which makes it almost impossible for new members to 'blend in'. I can't really think of any method to stop the fire myself.

Also, I consider myself as one of the person with lighter and deodorant, and I am quite disappointed about myself after reading the post.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  13. PEMapModder

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    We are not trying to make the forums strict; we are just trying to make people more responsible.
    Also, this will more do a deterrent effect than actual punishment (unless the answers are apparently irrelevant and people have already reminded the same person many times)
    MichaelM04 likes this.
  14. minebuilder0110

minebuilder0110 Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    Apparitional
    I know. After reminding myself with posts above, I quite like the downvote idea.
    MichaelM04 likes this.
  15. TheDeibo

TheDeibo Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    TheDeibo
    if they was a both option, i would tick it... cus i sort of support both sides.