Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soak test reveals smelting to be broken.

Comments in 'Plugin Development' started by WillotheBlessed, Sep 1, 2015.

1. WillotheBlessed

WillotheBlessed Active Member

Minecraft User:
    will
    I have an issue (as stated before on this forum) that smelting seems to take abnormal amounts of time. I finally decided to really narrow down the issue, and found a soak test can possibly be giving us a hint how this is a problem.

Step 1: Remove all plugins
    Step 2: Start the server, let it run for 15 minutes with only one client.
    Step 3: Smelt some iron, timing it.

If the iron takes longer than 10 seconds there is a problem.... Usually at around 15 minute mark, it takes 30 seconds to smelt a single piece of iron.

Please any hints as to how this could be happening, would be great. I am getting 20 ticks per second. It is a 4th gen i7, running on a Windows machine, with very little else running on the machine, so I do not believe this is an issue with lag. I am running Build #1258.

Thank you in advance for any hints or solutions to what could be causing this.
  2. Creeperface

Creeperface Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    CreeperFace
    hm very interesting, but you should move the thread to another forum :)
  3. PEMapModder

PEMapModder Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    Timings report?
    xFlare and Creeperface like this.
  4. WillotheBlessed

Minecraft User:
    will
    You aren't going to believe this... a new Windows 10 machine with a next generation i7, and less apps, is running the game at 10% greater serer load than my i7 on my 4th gen i7 laptop. Both laptops, that's likely the biggest issue here.

The funny thing is, the Windows 10 machine can smelt perfectly fine, despite running slower 10% slower.

Here is a timings report with 4 players, but it doesn't matter, 1 or 4 players, the smelting still is attrocious.

http://timings.aikar.co/?url=12241055

I give up on this problem.
  5. PEMapModder

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    I think it may be related to level ticking rate. But what we can confirm is that PocketMine has an issue.
    Primus likes this.
  6. Primus

Primus Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    PrimusLV
    Set debug level to 2 in pocketmine.yml and i'm sure you'll see that PocketMine changes the level tickrate.

And if you look carefully inside pocketmine.yml you'll see that you can adjust it.
  7. WillotheBlessed

Minecraft User:
    will
    Thank you, I see a host of messages about re-adjusting the tickrate. I'm just not certain what this means, if anything.

Also, why would smelting be the one thing not happening? I assume other issues could be there, like if I tried to grow something?

I can't imagine that not having an SSD would really affect the way my game runs... but everyone seems to be suggesting it. Is there something about the way the server runs that requires an SSD?
  8. PEMapModder

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    It is a PocketMine bug. Furnaces should tick thrice if your level ticking rate is 3.
    jojoe77777 likes this.