Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question So is pocketmine dead now?

Comments in 'General Discussion' started by Creeperface, Sep 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creeperface

Creeperface Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    CreeperFace
    Is pocketmine really dead? Forum moderators said they're hiting new devs and plugin reqiewers but how is it now?
  2. EntirelyQuartz

EntirelyQuartz New Member

Minecraft User:
    EntirelyQuartz
    @iamadpond told that they're recruiting a new team, but it doesn't seem really clear to me.
    PocketMine was semi-alive thanks to @Intyre, and looks like he left when iamadpond told that he's trying to keep this alive.

I don't know if it's real at all, his last connection was in 22th August... EDIT: He joined again today
    Do you think that @iamadpond's idea will save PocketMine... or just kill it?
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    Creeperface and XShockinFireX like this.
  3. EdwardAllington

EdwardAllington Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Edwardthedog2
    That is a very good question. The latest commit to the PocketMine Github repository was by @Intyre on June 21st. PocketMine is open source, and anyone can contribute, by forking the repository and making a pull request. However, that doesn't really help when no developers are active to review and accept them, now does it? I've been told that PocketMine is dead, and for awhile, I didn't want to accept that. But when you look at the facts, it really is dead. A month ago, I had no clue why @iamadpond wanted to change the name of PoketMine-MP, but now, when you think about it, it's really obvious. With the huge lack of updates, PocketMine has lost its reputation. It used to be, that between all of the MCPE server software, PocketMine always came out on top, in terms of stability. I thought PocketMine would always be around, as it was the first, and for a long time, the best. But now... it's dead. Will PocketMine be forgotten, or will its name remain famous, for being pretty much the only reason why other server software exists? That is what I personally wonder.
  4. Primus

Primus Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    PrimusLV
    I'm turning down on PocketMine.

I am only here because I have no other place/community to be.
  5. Ragnok1234

Ragnok1234 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Ragnok123
    I'm want to. Ge**sys, im**icalm**e, cle***ky etc. were created because they didnt believe, that pocketmine is live. If they want to create their forks better, they will made this at github.com/PocketMine/PocketMine-MP. We must invite creators and another peoples from this forks.
    archie426 likes this.
  6. archie426

archie426 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    archie426
    I have had contact (private) with intyre in the past week (phew), I havent seen iamadpond for a bit now (although i have become randomly inactive)
  7. fycarman

fycarman Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Fycarman06
    You can invite everyone,but if nobody accepts pull requests,the project is always dead. (Actually there are 40 open pull requests on pm). This is the reason why some people created their own project based on pm's code.
    EdwardAllington likes this.
  8. Jazzwhistle

Jazzwhistle Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    Awzaw
    Interestingly, and maybe partly thanks to the recent inactivity on PM's github... the best spoon seems to be trying to do the right thing, and has become a fork :)
    archie426 and dktapps like this.
  9. archie426

archie426 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    archie426
    I have noticed this as well
  10. dktapps

dktapps Active Member

That is my doing. PocketMine's future should not be in shoddy spoons. I respect @iamadpond 's idea, but since it is apparently going nowhere... I decided to change the future myself.

Most of my team members were against the idea, because of the amount of work they envisioned it would involve, instead suggesting things like converting G****** into a fork. My answer: it is not worth the time. The time would be better spent rebuilding from the current PocketMine-MP codebase.

For anyone wondering why waste my time with PHP, my answer is: it is familiar, the server software already exists, and functional. Yes, PHP is slow. Aw, shame. But who knows what the future may bring? PHP5 -> PHP7 changed everything. Future PHP will bring compilers. That may change everything all over again.

Building an alternative software from scratch would take years, especially to bring it to the level that PocketMine is currently at. People want custom servers which have proper features NOW, not in 5 years' time. Also, there are myriad people who know PHP, know the PocketMine API, can develop plugins for it, etc., everyone can customize things the way they like. That's one reason I like PocketMine so much.

I'm sick of the horrible mess that G****** is and all of the idiots who have turned it into the mess that it is. C****S** is no better. This time, it's getting done right. There has never been a notable true fork of the project. I think it's sad that the only known variants are all spoons. It's time to change that.

The future is open. Anything can happen. I said it in another post: if you do things right, things can only improve.

Maybe someday, if somebody does come back to the ashes of PocketMine, Phoenix can be merged back into PocketMine.

Also, message to any staff reading this: apologies from iTX for the fools who keep posting issues at the PocketMine-MP repo for spoons.

IN OTHER NEWS: Retweet! https://twitter.com/iMCPE/status/780004836196622336
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  11. archie426

archie426 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    archie426
    I just noticed it on github. Why are these people doing this? What is more they are completely spamming the repository! It is not your responsibility though. You do not need to be sorry in my view.
  12. SamGamgee55

SamGamgee55 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    SamGamgee55
    Yes PM is sadly dead
  13. Survingo

Survingo Active Member

I say the opposite
  14. archie426

archie426 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    archie426
    Well, not really anymore, thanks to dktapps. :)
    ImagicalGamer likes this.
  15. SamGamgee55

SamGamgee55 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    SamGamgee55
    True dat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.