Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pocketmine 'Server Packs'

Comments in 'Tools' started by rdococ, Mar 15, 2014.

?

Do you like my idea

1. Yes!

63.6%
  2. It could be improved.

18.2%
  3. I don't understand.

13.6%
  4. No.

4.5%
  1. rdococ

rdococ New Member

Minecraft User:
    rdococ
    My idea is that server packs would be a set of plugins and worlds that can be used to improve your server's experience.

Basically, a server pack is a folder containing a subfolder full of plugins and one full of worlds.

You install a server pack by deleting your main plugin and world folders (or moving them away) and copying the server pack's subfolders' to the main directory.

Now you would be able to play with the server pack's configuration, possibly improving your gameplay.

I did make a small server pack but it is not ready yet. But basically, it added a few features from Minecraft PC.
    64FF00 likes this.
  2. Darunia18

Darunia18 Staff Member Sectional Moderator

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    I don't know if I fully understand how it adds some MCPC features, but other than that it sounds pretty cool! :D
    64FF00 likes this.
  3. IJustGotNewSocks

IJustGotNewSocks New Member

Minecraft User:
    IJustGotNewSocks
    I think they meant the certain server pack held plugins that offered some features from PC version.

All-in-all it'd be handy to use and not to mention neater.
    64FF00 and Darunia18 like this.
  4. decado

decado Active Member

Minecraft User:
    decado
    I think it's a fine idea

I've been hosting since late last year and it's literally only tomorrow I will be turning on the last plugins and enhancements to get the server to it's optimal. I now have 29 plugins operational and sweetly co existing but as you can imagine it took me a while to find the combinations that work together, play nicely with the last API and just give the general result I wanted.

But there's always a but isn't there?

There are a lot of plugins that have configuration specific to the server that they are in. *If* you were to bundle up the whole lot and present it as a "Server Pack" then there would be quite a number of files needing to be edited to work in the server in which it is installed.

I'd be prepared to do it but the 3 concerns are

1. It's going to take a while to put the pack and the required editing instructions together

2. I think it almost inevitable that some hosts are going to find it doesn't work for them due to differing hosting configurations and I'm not sure how you could offer support in those situations as after all, in the end we only know what works for us and

3. With MCPE 0.9.0 and Pocketmine 1.4 just around the corner is that level of effort justified when odds are most of it will not work with the new versions?

I've stopped even developing my server custom map any further for fears it's going to be wasted effort.

Once the new software comes out it may possibly be worth looking at again.

Regards
    Dec
    64FF00 and Darunia18 like this.
  5. KnownUnown

KnownUnown Active Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    KnownUnown
  6. PEMapModder

PEMapModder Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    Like the android installer?
  7. Jag

Jag Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Jag
    Hi Dec,
    Would you mine sharing your list of plugins that play well together? I am currently struggling with my list of plugins because many seem to cancel each other out. For example, I can't get any of the chat plugins to work and that is something I would really like to be able to fix. Thank you.
    Jag
  8. PEMapModder

PEMapModder Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    Look at my new thread at the general forums.
  9. Hexxah24

Hexxah24 New Member

Minecraft User:
    Hexxah24
    It could be improved by bundling all plugins and worlds out of the box, but add the core in. Essentially, add PocketMine, Like it's never been set up.
  10. HostingItAll

HostingItAll Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Console
    We have setup our system to do so, however we have not implemented it for users yet, one click mod install and map installs. The only problem is the number of new plugins and how they behave with others.