Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion PocketMine Forums Staff

Comments in 'Forum Discussion' started by PixelGuy75, Jan 2, 2016.

?

What do you think should be done?

1. Recruit active staff members while keeping original staff

90.6%
  2. Don't recruit any new staff members while keeping original staff

9.4%
  1. Dinokiller

Dinokiller Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    Dinokiller_
    Back on the topic though, I think although the staff members do have a life, <sarcasm>let's be honest they probably don't</sarcasm>. @shoghicp should surely have about 10 minutes to quickly post an announcement recruiting staff and then have about 30 minutes to check through them all.
    Legoboy0215 and PixelGuy75 like this.
  2. TheDeibo

TheDeibo Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    TheDeibo
    honestly though it seems like a chance for people to mess badly with pocketmine.
    <truth>No one likes grievers on servers.</truth>
  3. PixelGuy75

PixelGuy75 Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PixelGuy75
    TheDeibo likes this.
  4. PEMapModder

PEMapModder Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    Let's first have a look at plugin reviewing.
    The spirit of PocketMine Forums plugin reviewing is not as simple as "the plugin works" "no malicious code". A plugin that meets the standards for an accepted PocketMine plugin has to meet a number of requirements; I'm not sure about all of them myself, but at least I can confirm these (partly from the plugin submission guidelines, partly from what I had heard from staff members), partly from what I believe to be true:
    • The plugin must not contain plagiarism
    • The plugin must be unique - there must not be another existing plugin (at submission) that completely overlaps the functionality of this plugin
    • The plugin should work to an extent to be at least usable and must serve a function
    • The plugin must not contain malicious code
    • The plugin should avoid "hacking" PocketMine or other plugins, e.g. using ReflectionClass to retrieve or modify private properties of other plugins or the PocketMine core
    • The plugin should not break the functionality of other irrelevant plugins (ironically, the CustomRanks plugins by @shoghicp, as an example to the new API, might break other plugins that provide prefixes, but forgive him, it was the first plugin ever made in this API and he didn't realize such thing would happen under the pressure of livestreaming :p)
    • The plugin should not over-function (do things even when it is not intended to) (I found such plugin approved some time in the summer in 2014, but again, forgive them, that was when PocketMine 1.4 was newly released)
    • The plugin should be forward compatible, and should not have the possibility to induce server bugs, and developers should avoid bad practices (although it isn't harshly implemented).
    • The plugin must not be in any ways purposefully encrypted or obfuscated. Nor should it prevent users from extracting it, such as blocking /extractplugin.
    Probably much more than that. Although we have a lot of forum members who can code (or do they just copy code?) and of course know how to test plugins, there are apparently many more things to do when approving a plugin. I believe that a very small ratio of existing plugin developers have enough knowledge to do that.

Now let's look at moderators.
    First of all, seriously are we in lack of moderators?
    It appears to be true. PocketMine Forums has grown in size by a lot since the last moderator selection. Currently, I seem to only see @Intyre as an active staff member who has moderator permission on all sections. Of course, @Falk is also adequately active, but I don't know about other sections of the forums (I only watch the Plugin Development and General Discussion as well as Forum Discussion subforums). Maybe we really need more moderators. But let's say, how many people here are qualified enough? I don't think there are many forum members here who has had enough experience here but had never been involved in any flame wars or violated any rules here, much less being mature enough to independently handle moderator work. I agree there is a lack of moderators, but if it is like what @Dinokiller said to "spend 30 minutes" to select moderators, I believe that must be a very hasty process, considering the size of this forum nowadays.
  5. Dinokiller

Dinokiller Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    Dinokiller_
    Some people like to go on vacation at this time of year. Maybe that's all that's happened?
    Legoboy0215 likes this.
  6. Legoboy0215

Legoboy0215 Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    Legoboy0215
    Nice try, but it's probably not what is happening :p
  7. PixelGuy75

PixelGuy75 Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PixelGuy75
    Bump
    PocketKiller likes this.
  8. MichaelM04

MichaelM04 Active Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Michael
    advertising (EVEN though I didn't is a rule) as you can see

Attached Files:

9. TheDeibo

TheDeibo Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    TheDeibo
  10. TheDeibo

TheDeibo Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    TheDeibo
    These rules are outdated, (and it looks as if was ment for the General Discussions forum, ) but it gives a general idea of the rules.
  11. basprohop

basprohop Active Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    basprohop
    I want to see PocketMine merged into Nukkit :)
  12. TheDeibo

TheDeibo Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    TheDeibo
    isnt nukkit java?
  13. PEMapModder

PEMapModder Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    That will basically mean that the community we are having right now will be phagocytized by the MCPC community, which is very different by nature than we are right now. At least this is somewhere where people who want to do things slowly and casually, rather than quickly, stressfully, urgently and competitively, stay.
    The community needs time to digest new things. Microsoft is already stuffing us full of new features. We don't need anymore catalysts to completely get ourselves completely catalyzed.
    jojoe77777 likes this.
  14. archie426

archie426 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    archie426
    If you do a skype or other messaging interview, it might work. PS. How do u get Active and notable member?

Intyre is still active. Is covering up with iamadpond for shoghicp inactiveness.

U do. Also, it has been dicontinued sooo yeah.

Exactly, i can also comfirm that the staff member brandon is back, but in the shadows, however, for now we r just going to have to rely on iamadpond, u (even though u r not staff) and intyre.

Still it is forked or whatever u want to call it. If u want to insult PocketMine u can leave ur fork, because if it wasnt for pocketmine they wouldnt have existed.

No i prefer PHP. Even Minecraft PC is switching off java. (Just to let u know im not a coding expert, so i dont undersand everything)

Hes only just come back from holiday. Thats when Jenkins was down before (Its like its always down!) Now it is down again.:mad:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2016
    TheDeibo likes this.
  15. archie426

archie426 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    archie426
    Well, maybe we shouldn't have too many staff, look at what happened to ImagicalMine (not the staff conference bit but maybe as well)
    https://www.imagicalmine.net/community/threads/imagicaltom-was-fired.1607/
    I wonder if any Pocketmine staff have ever been quietly fired, never seen any.

Is it me or is this thread quite old (Here we go again, I am going off topic) even aliuly and PEMapModder I didnt find it since like ages. Although I was in a spot of inactiveness then.

If new staff are going to be added and the old staff are still going to be kept, why not create a new rank called Junior Dev. Not as high as people from PocketMine team but they still are developers. Obviously, I am not voluteering to take one of these positions. But I'm sure you could find some willing to help PM veterans. It is just an idea
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  16. Magicode

Magicode Active Member

Minecraft User:
    PokemonHero101
    I am positive they (the staff) still check the forums, and I am positive they work hard to bring you PM, but I think you underestimate how much it takes to Staff this community (and all its crap posts as well) and code the PM software for all of these rapid fire MCPE updates. These people have made so much, and yet I am always so surprised that people are so ungrateful. Instead of "Thanks Staff" it's criticism. I would invite all members of this community to Thank the staff, not pester them, and be reminded that the Staff code the software, and you guys use it, so don't treat them like you can do their job better than them.

I am also positive that a plan is in place for Pocketmine, and the staff are working on it. If everyone has a little patience while they get this figured out and work together as a community to achieve success (because what success really comes from bugging the staff???) we can make this better for everyone.

As for plugins, check the spoiler;)

Make a Github repository! That's what I do. :) You can link to it if you want and people can go there and download it. If you want to take it a step further, you can even compile a .phar and put it in the GitHub folder create a release for it and people won't even have to compile it themselves :D
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2016
    archie426 likes this.