Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Pocketmine 1.4 is crap! All worlds ported to LOCAL PE untill its Fixed!

Comments in 'General Discussion' started by cadude75, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cadude75

cadude75 New Member

Minecraft User:
    cadude75
    Yes i said it...and to think i was actually satisfied with 1.3.2. This newest server has got to be the most useless and if it was an object in the real world, it would make a hell of a paper weight or target for my paint-ball gun. I'm finding its a waste of space on my drives compared to what it was in 1.3.2. If this server was for $$$ id be demanding my money back. Im finding running an Ipad instead is more promising....just no mods!

First off, it wont run at all on anything older than Windows Vista where i found Pocketmine was more stable. Now being forced to upgrade my systems to Windows 7 or higher, as discussed all over the forums, its still a piece of horse s***! I get it, PHP took the leap, not you...this is when i would take the plunge and use a language platform that has some balls to begin with!

Why do i have to re-write code to get this thing to run. For a bunch of guys that decided to re-write the code, you picked a hell of a time to do it. And whats even more funny, im also expected to jailbreak my device just so i can revert to a stable 0.8.1? Not an option! Im also expected to have my sons friends also jailbreak there devices. Not an option! Who was the moron that suggested a re-write of a server amongst a major revision release of the client? No brainier/tool move if you ask me.

Not only did your new revision blow up all the time, it also corrupted a perfectly runnable world from 1.3.2. I was forced to use mcpedit to rebuild the world. Once that was done, I at least was able to get the world over to my ipad where its running flawlessly under 0.9.5 on my iPad and away from your crappy server files! It at least seems to be able to host my son and his 5-8 friends. Choppy but its got him something!

Now this is where i am gonna educate you, coming from a worldwide software business that makes 1+ billion per year selling software systems so we all have water, oil, gas and electricity to power this crappy software package. No matter if the software is open or closed source, there are still rules that one should follow to release and support a server application. I can see the forum attacks now that i might not know what im talking about. You know what...i might not know what im talking about, but i do know garbage and works of garbage when i see it. (and the melodrama remark - then dont use it!!! - sucks cause its the only platform and if i had the option, we would have left long ago for said platform if it existed).

1. First off, release a stable build for the version your trying to implement. Last I checked, the production build from MOJANG was 0.9.5 and not 0.8.1. Your stable build remains at 1.3.2 which is not possible with PE 0.9.5. Well it is with some modification but in the end, it just blows up anyways.

Your beta build is just as crappy as your development build. Both are just as unstable as the other. Plus, nothing works. cant place a block, cant move, whats the point! Being forced to debug code is frankly annoying. What i even found more frustrating is a building my son was building, nearly 1/2 his newly placed blocks became air blocks which prevented him from placing anything there at all. Running it thru mcedit corrected that!!! What was interesting is mcedit detected those blocks as Unknown! And this was even before we started to tweak the code to see if we could get it running longer then 5 minutes.

2. Indicate first off you wont be supporting older versions of Windows. Don't expect the alpha and beta testers to figure it out! ...yes it not your fault the os is not supported...its php's....its actually your fault for picking a crap language platform and for not notifying your users on release! Maybe correct your OS support page for 1.4 huh and actually remove XP from the list.

3. Release something that works! Prevent actions that don't work! Don't let users run into faulty blocks of code because the developer didn't complete the function. Code exits when needed to by pass uncompleted blocks so it doesn't blow things up. Prevent users from executing actions like walking, till the function is corrected.

4. Whats more interesting is that your applications inability to remain running, also causes faults in the data files for the world. i suspect your trying to write things way ahead of what your application was coded for...least that what it looks like in the php files once extracted...see number 3. Maybe this has to do with the servers inability to shut it self down cleanly when it has an issue.

5. Since this server appears to be the only real world server solution for PE, till someone reverse engineers the open source and ports it to a decent language bed, you need to set a little more "customer excellence" when it comes to releasing software. In all do honesty, as a programmer and a engineer for General Electric, this software release has got to be number one for the most unplanned releases known to man...and what makes this bad, its open source for pete-sakes.

what you should have focused on was re-releasing 1.3.2 as a release candidate ported to support 0.9.5 so the Minecraft world has something to work with. Instead you released a version unusable in a production environment, even unusable in a beta environment which has the ability to corrupt worlds...worlds that my kid and his friends have spent months on!

Has anyone modified any of the latest releases so its at least stable enough to run more than an hr? Secondly has anyone figured out how to port back from 0.9.0 to PocketMine 1.4? Wait...maybe hold off on that last one....dont want to corrupt another one of my sons worlds!

Thanks,

Annoyed by the release of crap software packages.

"Just because your application is open-source, doesn't give you the god given right to release trash. Take some ownership and own this thing and release something that actually works!"
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    LDX likes this.
  2. Dalton

Dalton Banned

Minecraft User:
    DALTONTASTIC
    I love PocketMine 1.4.. The API is so much more powerful and versatile :)
  3. Dalton

Dalton Banned

Minecraft User:
    DALTONTASTIC
  4. Dinokiller

Dinokiller Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    Dinokiller_
    Try Steadfast, it's like 1.3.12, except for 0.9.0 without functionality for 0.9.0 stuff ofc. I'm not sure if it's finished, but you should give it a go. https://github.com/SteadfastMC/Steadfast/archive/master.zip
    LDX and Smarticles101 like this.
  5. Dalton

Dalton Banned

Minecraft User:
    DALTONTASTIC
    Steadfast is awesome but it takes over a minute to connect to a server that's running it, and half of the chunks don't load.
  6. Dinokiller

Dinokiller Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    Dinokiller_
    It works better then PocketMine-MP 1.4 though. :p
    LDX and Smarticles101 like this.
  7. ProjectInfinity

ProjectInfinity Active Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    ProjectInfinity
    You shouldn't run anything older than Vista. Jesus christ people, we live in 2014.
    williamtdr and Dutok like this.
  8. KnownUnown

KnownUnown Active Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    KnownUnown
    It's your own fault for not backing up your sons' worlds. Personally, as a kid, to a grown man working for GE, programming for GE, for God's sake, I expect at least you to have some sense and back up your data.

1.) Go look up Steadfast, it's a temporary 1.3.12 protocol hack for people who like stability.

2.) It's written directly below the file download that it's compatible with Windows 7 and 8 ONLY, along with Linux and Mac.

3.) It's buggy, that's why it's called a "Beta" build.

4.) See #3.

5.) Reverse engineers the open source?! Are you crazy? The source is on GitHub! You don't need to reverse engineer it, just git clone! Here's the command for that, by the way. You'll need Git installed on your system.
    Code:
    git clone https://github.com/PocketMine/PocketMine-MP
    You can of course, alternatively grab it at https://github.com/PocketMine/PocketMine-MP.

That's all I have to say on that matter. As I said before, from a kid to a GE engineer, get your crap together. Backup your worlds. Don't bash proven open-source software for not working. Everyone copes with it, and you should too.

Sure. I readily admit that. I'm a Steadfast developer. It's true that some chunks don't load with Steadfast. We've tried our best to fix it, with multiple complicated methods involving BlockUpdatePackets. They only partially work. It's a client bug with non-infinite worlds, anyway.
    re: Steadfast taking a long time to send chunks, you might as well bash PocketMine itself. We hook into PocketMine methods and convert the chunks to 0.9.0 FullChunk format. Don't like it? Blame 1.3. Plus, you have a grudge against @williamtdr.

We originally intended Steadfast to be a temporary replacement while developers update their plugins to API 1.4. I'm glad you like it, though! :)
  9. Dalton

Dalton Banned

Minecraft User:
    DALTONTASTIC
    I run multiple 1.4 servers that are 10 slots each but are all synced together. It gets rid of lag and provides the new features. 150 slots overall right now.
    LDX likes this.
  10. VonHirst

VonHirst Active Member

textbook trolling.... this reminds me of those posts in the emulator forums where some guy goes off the deep end because his favorite ROM from 1981 doesn't work. And after the dev put his blood sweat and tears into building the emulator in the first place!! c'mon ppl :)
  11. iamadpond

iamadpond Banned

Minecraft User:
    iamadpond
    You do release this is written by a single member of the community here and he has to also commit to his real life (college). He also has to listen to people like you knock what he can do when he has time. Give the guy some slack. There isn't any freaking API in any shape or form for the pocket edition. You could say the same about bukkit but they actually had a team. This guy @shoghicp is actually developing as he can, carving the new roads needed for this experience. Yea yea, I hear you wave around your GE title, has it actually occurred to you that maybe Pocketmine isn't staffed and funded to give him the metal strength to do it all? NO! A man can only do as much as he can, and in all honestly I think what he does, whether you called it, not saying you did, but paraphrasing ("Bull", "shite", "No brainier") and so forth. It really doesn't f**king matter what language pocketmine uses, and did you ever think that iOS still doesn't officially support java? PHP was a nice cross-platform server side scripting language to let both android and iOS users play together. It also allowed both platforms to host servers on there own device. Which again with java, iOS and partially android wouldn't be able to do. Now everyone's entitled to there opinion, but at least use perspectives when addressing the creators in such a low manner.
  12. codmadnesspro

codmadnesspro Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Codmadnesspro
    You kinda are correct on the releasing unstable versions but it does state "Beta".
    It was very stupid of mojang to keep rushing the updates but hey it ended well in the end and that's what going to happen here.
    You can't say customer as you never really even purchased it, you're lucky to get it free because tbh and being truthfully others who would work on a project like this would charge so count yourself lucky.
    Yes it's annoying that worlds keep corrupting even in 1.4.0 but you have to keep making them world backup's.
    By the looks of it you've said "GE" You should have known to backup the server and that.
    You putting your server out there is like a production so why did you fail to not back it up?

1. Yes it's stupid that mojang brought out the "Official update" for everyone before pocketmine even really got started on. Surely if you want to complain about that mojang are happy to hear the S*!t you come out with.

2. I think you'll find php is much eaiser to learn and can be extended more than java. Yes it's nice to use old operating systems due to them not being as slow as others but thats where linux comes into it. Try linux on your machine :) and you'll be able to use php too!

3. Tbh I don't know what you're talking about as I don't have any of those problem. As i'll say again it's called "Beta" If you looked.

4. To be honest with you i've never crashed pocketmine on 1.4.1. Yes that's right! I haven't, I have many plugins in use without no problems.
    Clearly if you want a so called "Perfect" Server then get linux on your machine or splash your cash on a vps.

5. There's no need to speak no more, you're very ungreatful in the work @shoghicp puts into this. I'll say it again, @shoghicp Could have easily made you pay for it due to the amount of hours put it. You're A "GE"? Grow up, grow some balls.
  13. ProjectInfinity

ProjectInfinity Active Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    ProjectInfinity
    It might not be the most popular opinion here, but anyone who is serious about hosting any kind of game server usually does not use their phone to do so and as such Java is a great choice thanks to the vast amount of platforms it runs on. Oh and Java wouldn't need all the workarounds/hacks required for PocketMine to function in the PHP (scripting) language.
    Dalton likes this.
  14. MTXRooster

MTXRooster New Member

Minecraft User:
    MTXRooster
    Okay, Flameboy AKA Cadude75... First off, in short, READ, and then RE-READ iamdpond's response anove. Much applies and will be paraphrased here again for you.
    Okay, your displeased. Instead of a rant of multiple paragraphs of, yes, I said it, useless information, how bout you tell us exactly what problems you experience. And "won't run on Win Vista (see my next comment) IS NOT a valid issue, and completely untrue.

So many directions to go with this comment. First.. You are aware that both Vista and 7 are incredibly close in terms of design, right? 7 had the potential to just be a service pack for Vista, but due to "issues" with some people upgrading from XP to Vista and users whining, they wanted to disassociate themselves from the "Vista" name. True fact. An expert from GE should know this. Second, you ARE aware that both Vista and 7 will run on systems as OLD AS THE PENTIUM 2. So crying and claiming "IT WONT RUN ON VISTA" is utterly useless information. And guess what. I have an XP rig, a Vista rig, and a 7 rig - And this software runs just fine on ALL of them. I tested it today just to let YOU know. I don't know what problem you are experiencing, but perhaps if you'd let us know, we could get it running on your hopfully Pentium 4/AMD equiv. or up system. Yeah, it's doubtful you'd see good performance on anything less, but I've got a P3 box here right now that I'm not afraid to try it JUST to be able to tell you yeah, it runs, but slowly.

Again, it is clear that you don't know what's going on, and possibly aren't doing something right. You do NOT need to re-write ANY code to get this running, AT ALL. No one expects you to jailbreak your device. If you don't want the development release which WOULD support your apparently currently upgraded device, then yes, you will have to install the previous edition. That's a personal choice. As an Android user, we can install any APK version we want, and do it without jailbreaking or modding our phones/tablets. Sound like your issue with Apple and your lovely itunes store not giving you the freedom you deserve. Guess you've learned your first lesson on why Apple isn't the end all be all company/device so many brag about. As to SOLE FELLOW who is running this project, it's his perrogative to re-write, re-code, re-do any part he wants. As the above poster mentioned, you don't like it, feel free to brand the github and start your own. We both know you won't.

You don't mentioned whether you had these problems with the .8 or .9 (stable or dev) build, so it's hard to field this one. Any time you do something, you should ALWAYS do a backup/archive of your existing data. It is not the dev's fault here.

I'm above garbage talk, and man I'm biting my tongue avoiding making some of the comments you made right back at you. Let me tell you something instead. I run this software 24/7 on a linux machine as my permanent system (I test plugins and whatnot on a windows system). I have a couple young kids who play on it daily and some of their friends who log in from time to time. EVERY ONE of them has a blast. There are some issues, I won't lie, there's no need to. The benefits of being able to run a dedicated 24/7 server, even in a beta/testing stage by far are superior to having only local MP ON the device playing the game. (meaning running the stock game and connecting to it). It's a work in progress. And while I still don't know what your exact problems are (cuz you really didn't say at all), I can tell you I've had a great experience with it, and looking forward to future releases. If you run the dev build, which IMO you should, update it daily, as there literally ARE almost daily updates (which is awesome!)

As indicated the STABLE release, which IS indicated on several pages, IS .8.1 currently. The DEV build is .9 (in terms of which versions covers which release of Official client). Maybe you could use your knowhow to get the world pre-release exclusive code to upcoming versions. Cuz unless you just crawled out from a rock, no one had access to .9 before it was released, which gosh darneed it all, sure does make it hard for folks trying to release servers for previously-unreleased client code. Hmm. Man, it's almost weird how that works, right? Can't release code for something that's not out. Hey! I bet that's why projects like this are a little behind vs. actual client code, don't ya think? This also might blow your miind, so prepare yourself.. But.. (huge pause) The PC edition IS THE EXACT SAME WAY!! There are some PC server communities which are still in 1.6.4!! Oh.. And get this, you'll love it, cadude, even though 1.8 has been out for awhile already, AND WAS EVEN AVAILABLE AS PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE (UNLIKE MINECRAFT PE) they STILL don't have 1.8 custom servers. And gosh, 1.8 has been pre-released for darn near a year, certainly SEVERAL months. So yeah, it's common sense to about everyone that it takes time after a new, major release comes up for developers to adjust and update their code.

FINALLY, you mention an ACTUAL ISSUE, some 3-4 paragraphs into your rant. And the funny thing is... You're wrong. I can place blocks just fine. I can mine blocks just fine. I can move just fine. It sounds to me like you are experiencing either lag/communication issues, or running an on underpowered/mis-configured system, which isn't sending/receiving data properly. I don't have any IOS/Apple devices (shy of a G3 B&W which can't run MC, lol), so I can't say, but I can say works fine with Android devices. So maybe you need to inquire with other IOS users, start a post "Hey ios - can you break blocks on dev build?" and specifiy, for good measure what version client/server you are using, etc.. Cuz again, I can do that on mine just fine, and so can others far as I know. (meaning others on here). You could also tell us what cpu, ram etc your systems build is.

Again, there is no "lack of support of older versions", I don't know where you're getting this from. Worked fine on my rigs, all the way down to XP. PHP has no OS requirement necessarily.

Again, he did. It works. It's not called Pocketmine-MP 1.0 because it's still a work in progress. We, the community, as pre 1.0, pre release users benefit because we get to use something we couldn't code/do ourselves, and we get to help offer input, opinions and advice to the project. For instance I noted an issue with slots while mining. (that was a known issue, but I didn't know that at the time!). Love to know what you're doing that 'blowing things up'.

Anytime a server crashes, be it this or a PC minecraft one, there's a risk of data failure/fault. Well-kept backups are an admin's best friend to prevent data loss, at any level (home user, family server, corporate datacenter).

As above-stated, it's already open-source on github. Surely as a programmer and a engineer for General Electric you are familiar with what that is, and how it operates and should thus have the knowledge within to understand a lack of necessity in the aforementioned reverse engineering necessity. As far as the language, I won't necessarily argue that point as much, I was shocked to find this runs with PHP, but also think that's the reason it likely won't support mobs, as I think it would be, or it will be incridible to see php do something like that, something that pretty much every other server emulator out there would need live running code and cpu cycles to calculate etc. I do understand why he made that choice though, being that you can run this on pretty much ANY operating System, ANY hardware device, long as it has the cpu power to process. But yes, I too wonder if it had an actual binary system how much more powerful it would be. (albeit much more difficult to be a truly cross-platform solution like it is now).

There comes a point in EVERY project where re-design is not only critical, it is essential for the survival of the project. Most coders/teams often hit a point where they realize there were so many better ways to write somethings than what they did. As a programmer and engineer surely you've been in that position yourself. At some point, for the greater good, those changes to the core must be done, allowing things to run smoother, faster, be more reliable, and most importantly, be more future proof, allowing for easier content flow down the road as Minecraft PE client (in this case) also evolves. The clients do the exact same thing, which often is a roadblock for server projects like this. The studio responsible for the client often re-writes code for networking, which in turn means every server project must be altered to ensure proper function, even is something worked perfectly before, a slight client update could ruin the entire server software. As an engineer and programmer you should know this.

Has anyone modified any of the latest releases so its at least stable enough to run more than an hr? Secondly has anyone figured out how to port back from 0.9.0 to PocketMine 1.4? Wait...maybe hold off on that last one....dont want to corrupt another one of my sons worlds!

I don't feel in any way, shape or form that there is trash here. That's your right, and your opinion. I suggest, as I mentioned above either something is wrong, your machine isn't configured right, or isn't powereful enough, or there is an issue with IOS connectivity. Without more detail from you it's impossible to determine. However, I will tell you it actually IS anyone's right to release "trash". Anyone can put up anything they've done at any time, and at any stage. It IS their right, in fact. You yourself mentioned, you don't HAVE to download it.

Now that we've both gotten our rants out - How'z about you get in-depth with what's not working so we can iron out the issue and get you having a better experience here with this project! :)

MTXRooster
    GlaciercreepsMC and LDX like this.
  15. Dalton

Dalton Banned

Minecraft User:
    DALTONTASTIC
    I think the moral of this thread is that PocketMine is completely free, therefore our expectations aren't allowed to be above and beyond. They try really hard but we pay them $0 so we have no room to complain about the time it takes to develop the software. We do absolutely nothing to contribute, so this post is irrelevant.

**Tip of the day: Instead of complaining go contribute on Github.**
    LDX likes this.
  16. LDX

LDX Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Are you seriously comparing Windows XP to Windows 8?? Windows 8 is like a bathroom rug for Windows XP.

:+1:

@shoghicp has put more code, effort, and hard work into PocketMine than you've probably done with anything in your whole life.
    VonHirst and PluginMastered like this.
  17. TheRealJ2KK2J

TheRealJ2KK2J Active Member

Minecraft User:
    J2KK2J
    Beta builds are clewrly in beta and have bugs also If your so unhappy with Pocketmine go code your own mcpe multiplayer client after you realize how hard it is to do you might appreciate what this community is doing and how hard people work to add stuff in to make it work. Not everything is a 1 shot perfect software.
    LDX and Dalton like this.
  18. PluginMastered

PluginMastered Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Flexa33
    Some people just don't understand how hard its is to rewrite a software. WE ARE IN BETA. And look into steadfast if you like 1.3-12 stablability.
    TheRealJ2KK2J likes this.
  19. Dalton

Dalton Banned

Minecraft User:
    DALTONTASTIC
    I tried using Steadfast for my server network and honestly it wasn't worth it.. Trust me.
  20. PluginMastered

PluginMastered Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Flexa33
    It works with most people i downloaded the zip and tried to run it but nothing seemed to happen. And if that doesn't work then don't sweat it and have pacience were at beta 8 in like 1-2 weeks we might have a stable build with most bugs fixed.
    LDX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.