Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Source Plugins

Comments in 'Plugin Development' started by linuxboytoo, Sep 18, 2013.

1. linuxboytoo

linuxboytoo Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    linuxboytoo
    I would like to start a conversation around open versus close sourced plugins. I notice a lot of plugins are being compiled to PMF with no sign of the source. While I understand wanting to protect your plugin I think that it stifles innovation. While the documentation is ok, real world examples go a long way toward teaching others. There is also something to be said for collaboration between multiple people. All the plugins I've submitted I've added the github link as well. I encourage people to propose changes through a pull request.

Ultimately I would like to encourage all plugin developers to open their source, help others learn, and start being comfortable with collaborative coding. KevinWangs plugins are another good reason for open sourcing plugins.
  2. wies

wies Notable Member

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  3. linuxboytoo

linuxboytoo Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    linuxboytoo
    But we shouldn't have to reverse engineer people's plugins. People need to change their mindset and start to have an attitude of collaboration. On that note I did see your plugin before and it's super cool and amazingly simple :)
  4. wies

wies Notable Member

Yes but if they see that it's so simple to decompile a plugin they may think it's not worth protecting it.
    And I compile most of my plugins to pmf too to make it faster.
    but I will always publish them on github too