Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Newcomer here, firstly a thankyou...

Comments in 'General Discussion' started by oviano, Sep 5, 2014.

1. oviano

oviano New Member

Minecraft User:
    Oviano
    ...for creating PocketMine-MP. I've chucked $100 by way of a donation and to do my bit to hopefully keep things ticking over and show my appreciation.

So I've setup a server on a Mac Mini so that my 6 year-old daughter and her five cousins, spread across four locations, can play together. It was all going well until there was a mini falling out over invading each other's space, so there is a temporary ban in place at the moment for certain individuals until they learn a bit more respect for each other's virtual property!

Anyway, I noticed a few glitches relating to the lack of Mobs, and after a little bit of searching have realised that these aren't implemented yet in Creative at least. Just wondered if there is a rough ETA for that to be added?

The other main thing I've noticed is sometimes my daughter finds she has to repeatedly try the same action to make a block 'stick'. So for example, she might be laying carpet blocks, she'll be covering the floor quickly and then for some reason come across a square where she places the carpet and it appears for a short time but then disappears. Maybe she'll have to try a few times before it finally sticks. I can't seem to find a pattern as to when it occurs. It doesn't ruin it by any means but a few times she has said "Daddy something strange is happening"!

Anyway, keep up the good work and thankyou again!

Oliver
    DaveJukes likes this.
  2. tnpxxsheepdog

tnpxxsheepdog Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    TNPXXSHEEPDOG
    Welcome to the community! Many people host servers for their parents and that is awesome!

Mobs require the implementation of a lot of stuff. It isn't simple. Right now there are a lot of bugs in line before mobs, as far as I am concerned. Arrows were just added last week, so we are getting there! I would guess within the next month we will see mobs pop up. Remember that creative does not have mobs anyway, they can still be spawned in though.

Regarding your other issue, that sounds like a computer problem where your hosting machine is not keeping up with the resources that PocketMine needs. It also can depend on internet connection although it sounds like the server and your daughter share the same connection. Plugins and internet speed play a factor in this as well.

My suggestion is to buy a $10/month VPS from digitalocean.
    TheRealJ2KK2J likes this.
  3. oviano

oviano New Member

Minecraft User:
    Oviano
    Great, thanks for the VPS tip, I'll take a look.

Regarding Mobs in Creative - yeah, to be honest my daughter really just wanted to spawn a few cows and chickens and keep them in a room, I don't think she has high expectations in the way of AI. She'd likely be happy if they just paced around semi randomly. So even just something basic as a stepping stone would be cool especially for the younger kids playing this.

The server is 2500km away from where my daughter plays, and a ping to there tends to be about 80ms. Bandwidth hopefully isn't a problem as the server is on a 80 down/20 Mbps up connection, and where she plays is 8 down/1 up. I kept an occasional eye on the server CPU when three of them were playing it and it was of the order of 30-40%. This is only a dual core i5 Mac Mini though so maybe I'm expecting too much!
    ZenCloud and Jon like this.
  4. tnpxxsheepdog

tnpxxsheepdog Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    TNPXXSHEEPDOG
    The connection sounds great and the latency seems fine. The only thing I could think of is that the computer cannot handle the process. I have always been a lover of VPS and recommend it to pretty much everyone. Home computers can be as powerful as you want, it's all about the internet speed, NIC, and router speed if over wifi!
    ZenCloud likes this.
  5. MTXRooster

MTXRooster New Member

Minecraft User:
    MTXRooster
    I have young ones who play.. 4, 9 and 11,. and what I did (though not as big an issue with the two older) was divide up the world and give each their own region, outlined on the ground with s specific block. First thing that came to mind when I found this project was, "Ohh, someone needs to write a Residence plugin like the PC edition" :) Keep those little kiddos building in their own area, lol ;) But seriously though, the outline method has worked 100% of the time so far. Fingers Crossed..
  6. oviano

oviano New Member

Minecraft User:
    Oviano
    Heh nice one.

It's amazing how important it becomes - my daughter won't think twice before destroying a construction she deems as ugly if it's too close to her own stuff.
  7. MTXRooster

MTXRooster New Member

Minecraft User:
    MTXRooster
    Yeah, I can also see it being more challenging when there's people from outside the house (family or not) building stuff.. That whole, "hey, is this yours", "nope" okay destroy factor starts coming to play. Went through that on the PC. heh: )
  8. oviano

oviano New Member

Minecraft User:
    Oviano
    Yep, when they're in the same room they can at least fight it out verbally but when you've got my daughter destroying things that her cousins made 2500km away the night before, or vice versa, requires a different level of handling as instead of arguing it just becomes a prolonged tit-for-tat.

It seems to have settled down for a while now, I think the harsh lesson has been learned that if you destroy X's work then X may well destroy yours, and while this might induce tears, a tentative status quo seems to have been established.

Not quite the blissful co-operation I had in mind though!!!