Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

README New Posting Requirement. [READ]

Comments in 'Plugin Development' started by iamadpond, Jul 23, 2016.

1. iamadpond

iamadpond Banned

Minecraft User:
    iamadpond
    Effective 23/07/2016

All code related questions posted in this subforum must show one of the following:
    • A past attempt,
    • A unsuccessful past attempt,
    • Some extremely basic attempt at the problem,
    Failing all the above, a poster must show a basic understanding of the problem to get help from the community.

Simple questions like "How do I get player name in a area?" that doesn't include anything else but that question should be and will be ignored and or locked.

I really encourage members to link this post to topics they feel are violating the above.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Falk, CrazedMiner, applqpak and 7 others like this.
  2. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    In the end we will turn the forum into StackOverflow format.

Flag -> Should be closed... Too Broad: There are either too many possible answers, or good answers would be too long for this format. Please add details to narrow the answer set or to isolate an issue that can be answered in a few paragraphs. Wow! We have to answer every kind of "area" since we don't know what you are talking about! There are multiple types of "player name"! There are multiple definitions of "get"! We even need to explain how to use the result we "get"!
  3. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    archie426 and applqpak like this.
  4. AndrewBit

AndrewBit Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    AndrewBit4
    Lol, this is not the right side dude
    applqpak likes this.
  5. asters

asters Active Member

Minecraft User:
    aster
    You should attract more users to PM forums.
    All you do is to make sure that nobody dare to post here!
    " How to get a player name in a world?=> i think this question is legit , but from your rule , it will be ignored"
    Note! Not all users are adults , some are kids who wanna experience something new (programing).

Anyway , i speak my mind , if u wanna ban me , go ahead.
  6. PocketKiller

PocketKiller Notable Member

Most are kids and others are adults...
    and, don't you know the meaning of a Rule?
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  7. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    We don't need to attract more users to PM forums. Users are not money. There is no reason to try to attract more users. Actually, there are already too many users here, especially low-quality ones.

This is PocketMine Forums, not PHP forums. If you have problems related to PHP, go to StackOverflow.

I don't think that question is legit. You may look for threads and find how to get started, and you can, from very simple examples, find out solutions to that. If you are asking something quite rarely used, I think it is OK, but for such trivial questions that we have probably seen a million times here, we really don't need any more of them.
  8. asters

asters Active Member

Minecraft User:
    aster
    Ok , as you say! And i dont think that StackOverflow help you with PocketMine API.

*Walks away slowly*
  9. EschieEsh

EschieEsh Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Escherion
    *Cough cough*, she never said that
    archie426, SOFe and dktapps like this.
  10. asters

asters Active Member

Minecraft User:
    aster
    Is this question about php? Or API?
    Idk if stackoverflow Reply to this -___- !
  11. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    This question can be very easily answered if you have the proper knowledge that a legitimate plugin developer should have. You just need to have some basic patience and induction skills and browse the existing questions around the forums. You may not get your answer immediately, but you will learn a lot along the way, making good use of time rather than wasting the time of others.
    Actually, @PEMapModder's StackOverflow account is under my control and it's going to get 1500 reputation to be able to create a pocketmine tag soon :p
    See also: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/bukkit
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    17bhata likes this.
  12. asters

asters Active Member

Minecraft User:
    aster
  13. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    That's not my main point. I was saying that most questions asked on this forum are due to lack of PHP knowledge, which should go to StackOverflow instead. If you seriously have questions related to the API, they should not be such simple meaningless questions. The example, "how to get player name in area", actually only requires three things in the API (Player::getName(), Level::getPlayers()/Server::getOnlinePlayers(), Player::getX()/Player::getY()/Player::getZ()), and one important concept in PHP (you need to know how to define an area, then compare them using PHP operators). The three things in the API are very generic that you can find them out using the simplest Google Search query. If you cannot clean your problem into these clear steps, it is the problem in your programming skills, not in plugin development. PocketMine Forums is not generic programming forums. These problems that originate from extremely poor programming skills do not need to be here. PocketMine Forums does not have the responsibility to be the place to teach newbies.

Fine if you want to allow newbie questions. What we don't want are questions that don't show any effort of very basic attempts, or at least any understanding in the problem from the programming perspective. Congratulations that you have broken down the problem into getting player name in an area, but please break it down further, otherwise you still don't understand the problem.

PocketMine is not a profiting company that does every shameless thing like Microsoft to try to attract more users.
  14. asters

asters Active Member

Minecraft User:
    aster
    Not allowing to mention forks , is what it do(I wont give u any user graawr)!
    Pocketmine forums wanna just to act highty and mighty.
    And i agree with you at one point!
    But what if you dont find in forum what you need?
    (get players in a world was just a example)
    Then you need to ask !

Some just dont wanna to check documentation , or they dont know how to apply it!
    But if users are really punished for asking about API , forum will die becouse u need to:

Effective 23/07/2016
    All code related questions posted in this subforum must show one of the following:
    • A past attempt,
    • Some extremely basic attempt at the problem,
    Or you are a better human? I remember just how noob i was wen i started , almost 2 years ago!
    After i saw server crashing , i didnt join pocketmine (some forums about a program in dev , are full of frustrated kids) , but after i saw that , the newbyes are not laughed at , and the nice reply, i was encouraged to join!
    Then i saw , the reallity , Staff , was like some .... idk ... maybe inactive, and the "nice" reply was from plugin devs!
    I had so many issues , just too many server sided crashes! And after some months , i finally found out , what forks mean, and i was at peace. I will never use pocketmine , for a real server!
    (i really wanna see a top server using pocketmine -___- )! And i learned a little , about api, with my php skills (very low) + PocketMine API , i can now make plugins! And i plan to fix myself the plugins, if devs will be inactive!

//And from comments , i see (just some not all) , users who wanna to act inteligent ,maybe they get sellected as staff , to brag on theyr servers "Look im pocketmine staff...etc.." , and act like they are some big shots!
    In some comments i saw no logic !//

Why im so harsh?
    1. I wanna see active devs working on pocketmine(idc about reasons)
    2. I wanna shoghicp , to make clear , the future of pocketmine , what he wanna?
    3. Fix PocketMine Main Issues , i bet there are a lot!
    4. Insult forks , after u got a working server software (at least stable, we idk about features , we can do plugins for them xd)!

So if a Noob see this.... Run dude!
    Google Search Pocketmine forks !

And if pocketmine dont wanna to keep noobs here , please tell them about forks , dont act like they cant live without you! I see many users who ask about pocketmine , installation , etc... , fails , or other things!

A fork is a lot , a lot , better than pocketmine!

I wonder ... If pocketmine die , will forks die too?

If you read this , you got a lot of spare time to to read the whole post xd!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2016
  15. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    I thought we were talking about the Plugin Development forum. How is it related to installation?
    We are not banning anyone for being noob. We just don't want to exist, and might even officially ignore them by locking. This doesn't mean banning.
    I never said you can't ask questions about the API. By simple we mean "FAQ", which means this question is most likely already answered if you knew to further break it down.
    I don't know why you want to ask PHP questions on PocketMine Forums. This won't help you in any ways. You should go to StackOverflow where there are way more people to answer you.
    I don't know whether anyone is trying to be mighty, or trying to demonize forks (@Intyre said: they aren't even forks!), but for myself, since I am in no ways affiliated with any PocketMine forks (@Intyre said: they aren't even forks!), and therefore I don't care whether people come from or go to the forums by other PocketMine forks (@Intyre said: they aren't even forks!). I just care our own business on PocketMine, and that's all. We can't control other people. Even if someone invented a way to modify PocketMine and make it hack the NASA satellites to crash into all nuclear plants in the USA, we can't do anything either. Why keep thinking about these forks (@Intyre said: they aren't even forks!) then?
    archie426 likes this.
  16. asters

asters Active Member

Minecraft User:
    aster
    Effective 23/07/2016
    • This =====>{A past attempt,
    • Some extremely basic attempt at the problem,}
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2016
  17. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    And so? Even as a newbie you have the responsibility to make some attempts. At least you must show attempt that you have done research looking at the forums. Of course, if it is completely impossible to attempt anything, no one will blame you. I don't think anyone is enforcing these rules so strictly at all.
    archie426 likes this.
  18. archie426

archie426 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    archie426
    Pocketmine is NOT FOR PROFIT. You have to have rules, or the forums would be in a HUGE mess
    Blabla likes this.
  19. Blabla

Blabla Active Member

Minecraft User:
    The_Beast_Inside
    Actually, yes, forks will die too if PocketMine isn't been taken care of. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but every fork of PocketMine was in trouble when MCPE updated to 0.15, it was @Intyre who made the saving commits on PocketMine.
    archie426 likes this.