Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PM Variants on GIT, why not join forces?

Comments in 'General Discussion' started by meetloaf13, Feb 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meetloaf13

meetloaf13 New Member

Hey guys, I've been following different PM variants on Git, like ClearSky, bukkitPE, & the like. All have great devs running them, and each product is great.

Why not have everyone join forces and make one variant to rule them all? Seriously though, everyone I've talked to has been great and brilliant. Is there really a need to make competing servers?
  2. PEMapModder

PEMapModder Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    The one variant is official PocketMine. Others can't even come up with (or they don't want at all! Maybe they just want to substitute PocketMine!) an API design that allows plugins made for them and for PocketMine separate-able, and won't be accidentally used on both versions with one version not supporting them.
    applqpak and Addisonep like this.
  3. meetloaf13

meetloaf13 New Member

I know I'm probably toeing the line here, but the other variants have merit and are updated more frequently. They work MUCH better out of the box. I'm no DEV, but I do understand the importance of APIs be compatible, and I agree, having different APIs and the like makes the whole PM landscape a mess.

IMO, if all of the DEVs could come together as a DEV team, we'd be months ahead of where we're at now. Instead, each third-party Pocketmine DEV is fixing the same issues, quashing the same bugs, and attempting to optimize the same slowdowns separately. In short, not that I don't appreciate it, in the grand scheme, quite a bit of wasted effort, no?
    EmeraldGem585 likes this.
  4. Addisonep

Addisonep New Member

Minecraft User:
    Addisonep
    Some of those have bad code... Who wants PocketMine to be written in bad code?
    Muqsit, applqpak and Vaivez66 like this.
  5. PEMapModder

PEMapModder Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    Because users only know about features. They don't know about good code.
  6. meetloaf13

meetloaf13 New Member

{devil's advocate} ...what good is good code if it doesn't work optimally and without hours of useless tweaking?

the point remains, if the Devs would join forces, we'd have a much better server.
  7. TheDeibo

TheDeibo Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    TheDeibo
    well, that depends. One dev could have different ideas to the original dev. hence, major clash
  8. meetloaf13

meetloaf13 New Member

Fair point, no doubt this happens. Or we could be civilized beings and hash it out and not get butthurt =]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.