Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question MCPE 0.9.0?

Comments in 'General Discussion' started by tnpxxsheepdog, Jan 18, 2014.

1. tnpxxsheepdog

tnpxxsheepdog Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    TNPXXSHEEPDOG
    So the new release of PE is coming soon, a few more weeks. I have a few questions for the DEV team and basically anyone that wants to weigh in.

Question 1: Will Pocketmine MP have infinite world support? Can server owners use their existing worlds? How will plugins become affected by the new update?

Question 2: What is the turn-around time to get a new version of pocketmine up that supports the next version of MCPE? How much work does it take to upgrade to a later version and how many bugs are there on first release.

Question 3- Say the new client update came out. Will players be able to connect to a 0.8.1 server? I doubt this but I haven't owned a minecraft server in quite a long time, especially since MCPE is written in PHP.

Just a few questions that I have. When I had my PC server, I always tried to find out more info about the next update to prepare (upgrading a PC can be an absolute nightmare in some cases, plugins break, worlds break it's terrible.)
    DarkN3ss likes this.
  2. shoghicp

shoghicp Staff Member PocketMine Team

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    shoghicp
    Maybe not in a few weeks, but in a few months. But that is for the Mojang Team to decide :).

Answer 1.- YES, it will support infinite worlds. I don't know how, and I don't know if old worlds will be compatible. Also, plugins will be mostly unaffected if they use the API correctly, only the ones that generate worlds or only use positive coordinates will be affected. Also, they will be able to lift the coord. limits.

Answer 2.- We try to support it (at least partially) as soon as possible, on the development releases on Github. Since a few MCPE versions, we are in contact with Mojang. We get pre-release builds, so we can change things slowly and easily, and we can ask questions. We also report protocol and internal bugs ;). Because of the closed pre-release beta program of MCPE 0.8, this was made easier.

Answer 3.- If there are protocol changes (that will be), NO. Part of the update includes changes on how the client/server communicates with each other, so that breaks the compatibility with older versions.

If you want more info, you can check the development progress over Github, or join the IRC on #pocketmine or #mcpedevs. We tend to talk about a lot of projects when there aren't new versions, but it centers around the new version once a new one is available.
    DarkN3ss, Lambo and iJoshuaHD like this.
  3. Darunia18

Darunia18 Staff Member Sectional Moderator

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    Just to add onto what @shoghicp said, if you want any more information on what Mojang plans to add, it can be found on the Minecraft Wiki. Not all of these features will be added to PocketMine initially and may take awhile, but it is nice to know what the future holds for both MCPE and PM :D
  4. tnpxxsheepdog

Minecraft User:
    TNPXXSHEEPDOG
    Yes I love systems like Pocketmine and Bukkit, they are very cool!
    Darunia18 likes this.
  5. Lambo

Lambo Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Lambo
    And MCPE isn't written in PHP ;)
  6. Darunia18

Darunia18 Staff Member Sectional Moderator

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    They have really given me the ability to have fun the last two years almost and have really inspired me to continue (attempting to) pursue computer programming/coding. Plus, I've been able to meet so many fun, cool, and unique people through these services, such as just about everyone here on the PocketMine forums and so many people from helping my friend run a Bukkit server for the last year and a half :)
  7. TheMoDragon

TheMoDragon New Member

Minecraft User:
    TheMoDragon
    It's made in C++
  8. tnpxxsheepdog

Minecraft User:
    TNPXXSHEEPDOG
    Sorry I'm a noob. I thought a lot of it used PHP though?
  9. TheMoDragon

TheMoDragon New Member

Minecraft User:
    TheMoDragon
    No PocketMine uses PHP while MCPE uses C++