Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a server core worth it?

Comments in 'Plugin Development' started by Hotshot_9930, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Hotshot_9930

Hotshot_9930 Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    HotshotHD
    For those of you who don't know what a server core is, it is one plugin a server runs on that contains all of the features of the server.
    I myself created one and have been using it for months.
    My question is, is it actually worth it? Are their any performance differences than if you were using separate plugins?
  2. CraftYourBukkit

CraftYourBukkit Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    CraftYourBukkit
    Much better than having everything as a seperate plugin, at least in my opinion.
    Hotshot_9930 likes this.
  3. Brutus

Brutus New Member

The truthful answer is that there is a negligible difference in performance. This is just scientific fact.

The real difference is organizational, and the benefits/deficits of organizational differences are much more vague and controversial. There is no clear winner. If it works for you, and your code is easy to maintain, update, and deploy over extended periods of time, then it is good. If the alternative is better for that, then the alternative is good. Do what works, because it will not make much difference in performance.

Personally, if you are creating all of your code yourself or with your own team, I think it makes sense to do it in the same core plugin. It is just easier to manage and update. That is how I would personally do it, but both ways are workable.