Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion How to Make PocketMine Servers More Family-Friendly

Comments in 'General Discussion' started by Darunia18, May 5, 2014.

1. codmadnesspro

codmadnesspro Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Codmadnesspro
    Im planning to make a "Bad word" Warning plugin that when you say a rude or offensive word you will be warned. The next time you say something bad you get perm banned. Just so they don't bypass it by changing their username it will use their ip to identify them. Users then would apply to be unbanned and asked to apologize to the user that was offended by. If servers cared more about their users they would have added something like this ages ago.
  2. Darunia18

Darunia18 Staff Member Sectional Moderator

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    The problem with this is that plugins are per-server, and also how would you communicate that to the parents? If it was a client side mod, most people don't know how to install mods on their devices, and when most players are on iOS, I'm sure they don't want to jailbreak it.
    Smarticles101 likes this.
  3. codmadnesspro

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Codmadnesspro
    The way I see it is when you purchase the minecraft pe app the parent should know. The only way I could think to get the parent to know you use bad words is when you access the minecraft pe app it should make you login to minecraft.net and they should take a parents email and their child's email if they have one. The minecraft pe app should monitor it and if any offensive words are said they are sent to your parents notifying that their child is offensive.
    iJoshuaHD likes this.
  4. Falk

Falk Staff Member Global Moderator

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Falkirknh
    Don't Mojang accounts require birth dates?
  5. Darunia18

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    They do.
  6. codmadnesspro

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Codmadnesspro
    Can't remeber I don't think they do.
  7. Tiemo2000

Tiemo2000 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Tiemo2000
    Everyone who is younger than the minimal age is doing itself much years older, always. Like a shootergame for 18+ everyone plays it and some are just 8 years old
  8. 99leonchang

99leonchang Staff Member Sectional Moderator

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    99leonchang
    Playing on external servers doesn't require an account.
  9. Falk

Falk Staff Member Global Moderator

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Falkirknh
    Not now but more and more will be logged in to use Realms as it is released.
  10. shoghicp

shoghicp Staff Member PocketMine Team

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    shoghicp
    I asked for external authentication before. Remember the Twitch panel they did? (The one where they misspell my name). There was a question about adding external auth to external servers. Jeb said that it was a question for the Realms team. But having something that only external servers will have... It's not their priority.
    Darunia18 likes this.
  11. iJoshuaHD

iJoshuaHD Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iJoshuaHD
    how about in PC servers? they likely support external servers in MCPC. Most external servers in MCPC uses the Mojang Acc to authenticate likely you dont need to register anymore because you have logged in already in your Mojang Acc in the Launcher except to Servers who Allows pirated players (people that ripped off mcpc) to join their servers and require a /login or /register feature.
  12. Darunia18

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    Even though they aren't going to add an authentication thing soon, I do have an idea how it can work, as well as fix another issue we don't like. There should be something so that when they first download the app, you are required to make an account, whether or not you'd play realms or external or what. From there, it requires a Mojang account and then younger players need to ask their parents, who are given the option to enable/disable chat, allow joining of external servers, maybe even the times they're allowed to play the game (like they're denied access after 10pm), and, my favorite, enable/disable the joining of servers using data (which is disabled atm so kids don't use their parents' data without their knowing). As for a way we can add something without Mojang's work, well I'm still thinking of something.
  13. iJoshuaHD

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iJoshuaHD
    TBH, in my Opinion, this wouldnt work out the best unless Mojang wouldnt be greedy enough to support Non realm servers other than their own OFFICIAL Server Realm. I think this is just their "alibi" for us to think that the kids players protection are their priorities to NOT support the non realm servers. Think again for the MCPC servers. Do you think all players in the MCPC servers are teens or adults? Uh uh, most of the players are Kids and most likely, all of them are not monitored by their parents or such. Most of the kids are likely to tackle and engage with badwords and unnecessary things for a kid to know at his current age.

And to add up in the suggestion, whats the purpose of the Login Minecraft thingy in the settings if we couldnt use it to authenticate ourselves? All they have to do is make the Launch screen more like the same as the PC version where before you could play, you login with your account. once your logged in, you can access the servers and stuff the app offers. while if you cant login in the launcher, you have the option to click Play Offline or whatever just to play minecraft alone yourself. I know THIS IS VERY POSSIBLE. If they cant do some more like this, they are greedy just to keep Pocket Realm server for their own appetite aka business to earn more bucks which likely wont happen IF they really care about their customers.
  14. iJoshuaHD

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iJoshuaHD
    wow, i guess this is settled.
  15. unerds

unerds Redditor Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    unerds_
    ...i don't know about any of this really...

if the main issue is that younger players will be exposed to so called 'offensive language' via in game chat - sure mojang could implement a word filter or whatever in the client, but anyone and everyone could still write whatever they want in enormous block letters in the sky.

nothing can prevent that.

ultimately, i take a very liberal approach to offensive language... not everyone will agree, but hear me out:

it's typically used as a means of expressing frustration, and whether i say F*CK or FUDGE, it means the same thing - whining about the usage of one and not the other is simply crying about semantics...

suggesting that one should say NEITHER and not express their frustrations is ridiculous... it's going to happen, it's only human. so get over it.

similarly, i could say to someone "I F****D your mom", or i could insult them just as well using words that people wouldn't necessarily consider *bad* like "I made love to your mother aggressively and it probably hurt but she liked it" - and so what's the difference?

both phrases are equally insulting... one would get caught by a word filter, the other wouldn't, and is probably MORE insulting due to the descriptive nature of it.

so what now then?

censoring words is pointless, censoring people based on some kind of history of abusive behaviours makes more sense, but how is anyone going to do that?

IP Blacklist? ripe for abuse.

even on realms, you could ban my FREE username, but i can just make another one and carry on just the same... there is no recourse for any of it.

just my 2¢.
  16. Darunia18

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    The thing with Realms though is that it's a whitelist, so whoever owns it has to invite you to join their Realm. And if you're kicked out, there's no way back in without another invitation ;)
  17. iJoshuaHD

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iJoshuaHD
    thats why it would be intuitive that mojang should make mcpe start launcher like the pc one where you login before you could play online servers. if they cant login with their account, they would be given an option to play offline instead but they will be given the permission to play servers in local wifi or something. it would make things easier to ban these people because if they are banned, there mojang account will be banned on our respective servers and they cant just use another name at all. whats the purpose of the login thingy in the settings if we cant use it authenticate legit users? overall, it would be easy for mojang to track players account and if someone report their account for being offensive or something, mojang could do something about it.

about creating another mojang account, i guess that would be a genius thing for a kid to make more accounts but i think mojang could do make some server checks where you cant create another mojang account with the same ip address OR with the parents permission or the parents will make an account for their kids.

likewise, we somehow cant prevent this because their are other kids these days that are smart enough to bypass some of this things like making an account form, activating their account via email and so on. but this would prevent abusive players from being abusive.
    Darunia18 likes this.
  18. codmadnesspro

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Codmadnesspro
    The only real answer to is to just not let them play it xD
    Darunia18 likes this.
  19. iJoshuaHD

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iJoshuaHD
    I think this is just their "alibi" for us to think that the kids players protection are their priorities to NOT support the non realm servers. Think again for the MCPC servers. Do you think all players in the MCPC servers are teens or adults? Uh uh, most of the players are Kids and most likely, all of them are not monitored by their parents or such. Most of the kids are likely to tackle and engage with badwords and unnecessary things for a kid to know at his current age.
  20. Tiemo2000

Tiemo2000 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Tiemo2000
    I am owning my own server and im 14 years old thats ok right? Make it 12+ or something