Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question How do the professionals make Hunger Games servers

Comments in 'General Discussion' started by Elmo, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elmo

Elmo Active Member

Minecraft User:
    optrusty
    Ok I SEE LOTS OF AWESOME SERVERS LIKE LBSG, but I am very curious why people don't publish it. Is it because they need to modify core files. Or they need to meet requirments on mobile.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2016
  2. Darunia18

Darunia18 Staff Member Sectional Moderator

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    Servers create minigame plugins for their personal servers. They don't release these plugins so their server can have an exclusive minigame and more players will play on that server because they're the only one with that specific minigame.
    iJoshuaHD and TheRealJ2KK2J like this.
  3. TheRealJ2KK2J

TheRealJ2KK2J Active Member

Minecraft User:
    J2KK2J
    The more people want to play it and have 1 server to go to and other people see a ton of people playing just that server for the minigame there probably gonna work there as* off to get the same minigame running for there server
  4. Tuff

Tuff Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Roboroug2
    CTF for example...
  5. tnpxxsheepdog

tnpxxsheepdog Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    TNPXXSHEEPDOG
    We made our own CTF server. It lasted for a few months then we dumped the project. Too much of a hassle. Perhaps we will introduce another CTF server down the road.
  6. Tuff

Tuff Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Roboroug2
    Did you have a plugin for it? The plugin was no walk in the park to create, our CTF server is running pretty well and is fully automated, not much of a hassle.
  7. tnpxxsheepdog

tnpxxsheepdog Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    TNPXXSHEEPDOG
    We had staff running the games. Now that BCN is a part of the Trinity Group, we hope to make some more mini games. I haven't seen your CTF server, bet it's pretty sweet!
  8. Tuff

Tuff Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Roboroug2
    I am thinking about making the plugin available to server owners who will put it to good use, (my discretion), I based it off of LBSG's CTF, the map we use is a lot smaller and meant more for quick arena rounds.
  9. iJoshuaHD

iJoshuaHD Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iJoshuaHD
    if u had seen his signature, you'll know
    TheRealJ2KK2J and Tuff like this.
  10. TheRealJ2KK2J

TheRealJ2KK2J Active Member

Minecraft User:
    J2KK2J
    still Trinity Group ok amaze
  11. iksaku

iksaku Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iksaku
    it's not that hard to make a hungergames server, you just need to know what do you want, know how to do it ad if you plan to make it public, make it flexible to user desitions
  12. Elmo

Elmo Active Member

Minecraft User:
    optrusty
    Hope you do.... Hope you do.... I like all the original minigames
  13. MTXRooster

MTXRooster New Member

Minecraft User:
    MTXRooster
    Here's what you really need to know:

In there world there are numerous types of people. This is NOT specific to this PM (BTW.. PMS.. pocket minecraft server, just saying..) or any other project. Some people out there dedicate their time to coding apps, API's, software like this, and the plugins for it, and they do it for a variety of reasons. Reasons like the challenge of it (for instance writing a server in PHP!!!), or because someone should do it, or they wanted to see if it could be done, arguably to many, similar, yet different reasons, I assure you. Others contribute (usually) who have some skill, but might not be able to do a project on their own, again, be it something big, like this server project, or smaller, like a plugin for it. Both the experienced and the lesser-experienced do it for the love of the project though and are often both as dedicated as one another, despite skill barriers.

On top of this there is another group, a group who often might have similar ideas in mind (be it the challenge, prove it can/can't be done, etc) but this group isn't as open-minded/sourced about it. Their the group that wants to do something cool, but be in control of it. As you noted this is often because they want to offer something exclusive to their servers or community, and let's face it - If everyone could download plugin 'xyz' no one would necessarily care about server 'xyz'.

It could also be said many players don't give a rats behind about who group created or uses said plugin 'xyz', and are in it for the community value, meaning, a quality server will outlast the one with the hyped-up uber-l337 I coded this plugin 'xyz'. So don't be afraid because someone won't share their code; it is their right, long as they coded it themselves and didn't rip it off from another project.

I watched once a really awesome project for Call of Duty 4. Similar situation, this group created a really hands down awesome mod, but refused to share it. Their servers were unbelievably popular. They were the ONLY ones with a gametype like what they make, and it was fun. Then, years later, after 100's of requests to share the code, even with monetary donations offered, the groups member who held the source code had a HDD failure, and they lost the entire project. (this was during the time of a game update, where the group needed up update their mod to ensure it would work with the latest version of the game).

That being said, there's also 100 stories about groups who got together, wrote some really awesome code, and ended up either being hired by a AAA game company, or had their code purchased to enhance future games. Battlefield is what it is because of a small team who originally just wrote a 'mod' for BF1942.

I'm a fan of open-source, and while I might make little snide comments suggesting others should be as well, I really don't mean any ill to anyone. As others have said.. THEY put the blood, sweat and tears into whatever their project may be, ultimately it's up to them to decide what they wish for their code.

In closing, like I said, you don't have to be the brains behind the operation to get something going. If there's something you'd like to see, start a project up. Get the ball rolling. You never know when someone might come along and think just like you, "Man I wish those guys would share their code, too bad there's no other options" and then bam - They find your project.

One final option - Have you contacted any of them yourself? I have seen people in the past who, say want to run a small server for their kids or something, and they don't want little ones getting on big servers full of just whatever they can't "control" (age appropriate, picking on, teasing, whatever it may be) and after explaining this to some authors, they may be willing to hook you up, or come to some form of deal. I don't think that's your situation, sounds like you just want to host a server that has plugins which aren't available, but for others who read this, it's always good to know you have options. Just be mature about it, don't randomly post "WHYZ WONT YOU SHARE UR FILEZ PPLZ", or other such nonsense :) a

EDIT: I wanted to add there is another circumstance that could arise as well. A server admin who wants feature 'xyz' could also have posted on one of many 'coders for hire' type of forums (or even here) about the project he would like to see created for his server. In most cases, coding for hire is going to cost money. So someone may have been hired to perform the server (creating the plugin) which again, aside of the coders beliefs/intentions, somewhat oblicates the coder to keep the code to him/her self, as well as the server admin not wanting to share the code, cuz, well, he/she paid for it! :)
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  14. Tuff

Tuff Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Roboroug2
    Wow, this is a great overview of this situation. I am more of a closed source type of person, because I want the server I work for to be promoted, (we have a private github account so we are at no risk of losing our code). You may see me take up a lot of plugin requests because I like sharing my abilities and getting better, (though I don't always finish the request, sorry about that). You have some great insight, keep posting!
    mightysun99 likes this.
  15. MTXRooster

MTXRooster New Member

Minecraft User:
    MTXRooster
    Thanks ;) Yeah I've been 'around the block' lots, lol. All sorts of projects from game emu's and scripts to productivity apps, to custom game engines (and the support infrastructure, etc).. Jack of all trades, master of none, but living to have fun. Sorry for the cheezy rhyme lol
    Andrey Nazarchuk and Falk like this.
  16. Tuff

Tuff Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Roboroug2
    Great phrase, hope you stick around, could use a few more people who have been around the block.
    Andrey Nazarchuk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.