Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outdated GeoLocation 2.1

Get there REAL location.

1. DarkN3ss

DarkN3ss Active Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    DarkN3ss61
    Exactly, you can see weather more people form US are joining or if more people from India are joining. This can help you better fit your server to them :) (Just an idea anyway of what you could use it for (P.S Us and India was just an example))
  2. LDX

LDX Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Humerus thought my complaint was about you copying wies' idea. :/ Maybe Anti will see it.
  3. I_Is_Payton_

I_Is_Payton_ Active Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    I_Is_Payton_
    It's not the IP, it's the giving away of location that people are worried about.
  4. I_Is_Payton_

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    I_Is_Payton_
    Other than that, the plugin is great, nice job btw
    DarkN3ss likes this.
  5. DarkN3ss

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    DarkN3ss61
    I_Is_Payton_ likes this.
  6. I_Is_Payton_

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    I_Is_Payton_
    :) No problem, and I can kinda see how this plugin isn't as bad as I thought, considering it does not show the state/province
    DarkN3ss likes this.
  7. DarkN3ss

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    DarkN3ss61
    Yea because that would be giving a bit to much information out and I wouldn't necessarily want others knowing what state i come from, so that's why i only have it showing country :)
    decado likes this.
  8. decado

decado Active Member

Minecraft User:
    decado
    This is a storm in a teacup. Honestly people, I don't play this game and I'm only involved in hosting it because I gave the servers to my kids as their "Training wheel" servers to learn admin skills.

I've been hosting games servers since before a good number of the players of this game were alive and I've been on the internet since it was the ARPAnet. Any game admin who isn't able to resolve the ip and do a reverse lookup of a player in his or her server isn't much of an admin and probably naive to boot.

I have 3 commercially hosted Pocketmine servers now, I am already able to and regularly do ascertain ip addresses of players and further I do reverse lookups in them all the time. If you don't then your professionalism as a games host is in question.

When managing my server I have the client open in Bluestacks on the PC and 4 web browser windows including the web managment page for the server, the player information, the chat console and a reverse IP lookup. Honestly how else do you detect aliased troublemakers whom you have banned under another name? I run a "G" rated operation for this game and enforce it. When someone makes the PermBan list on my servers they go by name and ip.

I host and admin primarily in shooters and have since 1999, I'm actually quite well known in some communities and sort after as a demo and capture reviewer (yes that decado for those of you who play them) and I'm considered old even there. They are a hard crowd but MCPE takes more of my time because of the lack of admin resources, this will need to change if you want to attract serious and professional hosts.

This is simply another tool required for the professional and efficient handling of a games server and it is has long been in use in most other games platforms for years, most quake and mods greet each player in this fashion and the Battlefield series too last I looked. There is NO privacy on the internet, kidding yourself that there is is much like peeing in your pants. It gives you a warm fuzzy feeling but accomplishes little else.

Really ... we openly give out the ip address of our server to every 12 year old with a ping flooder as a matter of course but we can't know their ip to submit a abuse of carriage service report in return? Get a grip LOL. I've had more than one of my servers DDOS'd out of operation and I can tell you I don't sit on my hands.

Access to a game server is not a right and it carries with it the responsibility for a certain standard of behaviour by the player. As an admin it is your responsibility to handle yourself in an ethical and professional manner and provide a safe and abuse / prejudice free playing enviroment.

This tool is totally consistant with that aim.

As mentioned above, privacy is an illusion on the internet, and making young gamers embarking on possibly their first online game experience aware of this is NOT a bad thing.

Good plugin, installing it as soon as I have time.

Sorry for the short story

Regards
    Dec
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  9. DarkN3ss

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    DarkN3ss61
    Not going to quote this because of the size, but Thank you so Much for taking the time out of your day to wright this. I'm sure everyone will now have a much better understanding on what a server owner/admin is really about as well as how this plugin is not invading privacy at all. Again I owe you a BIG Thanks for writing that on this page.
    Dutok likes this.
  10. decado

decado Active Member

Minecraft User:
    decado
    My pleasure Dark

I'm not trying to put anyone's nose out of joint here so please do not take it personally.

MCPE in general and Pocketmine in particular are fairly new game hosting platforms and like all the others it will grow and mature as needs and perceptions change. This is normal.

If we, well you guys more than me due to my age, want it to prosper and endure than getting a realistic and professional outlook from the hosting a server perspective is essential.

Mojang are shooting themselves in the foot here without a public release server hosting platform. The community would be in a sad state without Pocketmine and GitHub.

You young guns run rings around me in the ideas and coding fields and my hat is off to you all. Game hosting and admin however .. Been there so long I'm just about retired ;)

Regards
    Dec
    LDX and DarkN3ss like this.
  11. Falk

Falk Staff Member Global Moderator

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Falkirknh
    Very nice plugin! It's worth mentioning your use of an external website, just to keep people informed.
    DarkN3ss likes this.
  12. LDX

Plugins:
    Ok, my turn to write a speech...
    Note to DarkN3ss: when I write a speech, whoever I'm arguing with always loses.
  13. DarkN3ss

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    DarkN3ss61
  14. LDX

Plugins:
    I am in no way implying that this plugin's main feature is a bad one. But the IP address needs to be removed from the /gl command. Whenever someone joins an MCPE server, it was their decision to join the server and give the server owner their IP address. But what if the server has a bad admin? This person trusted the server owner with their IP address, not the admins. Some servers give out free op to anyone who wants it. I would like to petition the removal of a player's IP address from the /gl command. If you are with this petition, either like this post, or say so.
  15. Falk

Falk Staff Member Global Moderator

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Falkirknh
    I'm not sure you understand what an IP is and how it works.
    jojoe77777, Dutok and DarkN3ss like this.
  16. LDX

Plugins:
  17. DarkN3ss

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    DarkN3ss61
  18. DA_Swagnemite

DA_Swagnemite Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    DA_SWAGNEMITE
    Don't get me wrong, I like the idea. I just don't think its safe for anyone besides the person running the console to have access to this kind of thing.
    LDX likes this.
  19. decado

decado Active Member

Minecraft User:
    decado
    Oh young man, that's not a speech. I'm not even warmed up LOL If I can type at 80wpm at my age you need to read faster :D

The player entrusts the server owner and his appointed staff and respresentatives with his ip address (along with the admin of every node his data passes through and the NSA for that matter)

If some servers give everyone op (which leaves me gob smacked) then that is simply incentive to promte professional server admin values and perhaps a reason to re evaluate the default settings of the server software?

What if there's a bad player? (what if? LOL) I'm putting in the money time and effort here for their enjoyment, the playing field should slope in my direction.

The forums admins here have your ip address ... what if THEY are bad people? *gasp*

Opposed to the point of being ready to close down my servers if this sort of facility is not avaiable, it has been on my mind lomg before this plugin came to be.

I suggest you go and do some research on the long used and greatly respected server software "B3" and "Echelon" and see what real server owners expect to be available to an admin or server owner.

Infact, how about a B3 port for MCPE while I am talking to coders? It's PHP based.

Regards
    Dec
    DarkN3ss likes this.
  20. decado

decado Active Member

Minecraft User:
    decado
    Then with respect, you are giving out OP far too easily. If they can't be trusted to place an IP ban what the devil are you doing entrusting them as OP?

Please feel free to check out the primary server I am currently running (Of the 3 I am testing only 2 will remain and this is the most popular) at mcpe.anzacgamers.com:19132 and take note of the automated console message given 6 times an hour "** NO OP GIVEN, do NOT ask**.

What's needed here is not a supression of a valuable tool but a rethink of server admin and OP values.

Regards
    Dec
    Dutok and DarkN3ss like this.