Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For What Reason do People Get Banned?

Comments in 'Forum Discussion' started by Jag, May 15, 2014.

1. Jag

Jag Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Jag
    I see that a number of contributors occasionally get banned, so I wanted to inquire about the rules and expectations of posting here.
    What are common reasons people get banned for?
    Are people banned for accidents and nooby mistakes or only intentionally malicious activity?
    Are bans permanent and/or can the poster get back in.

Not that I have any intention of getting banned myself, but as a regular reader its not immediately obvious why some poor chap appears have been banned.
    Cheers,
    Jag

edit: that should be "Reasons" in the title, not reason
  2. Anton Magsino

Anton Magsino Active Member

Minecraft User:
    MinecrafterPH
    I have one reason.
    - Some people ask for something not applicable for PocketMine or MCPE (a couple of times).
  3. shoghicp

shoghicp Staff Member PocketMine Team

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    shoghicp
    People usually get banned for doing things like not following the posting rules (there are a few README threads per forum, if not, consult parent forums / descriptions). We have a warning system in place that bans people automatically with the corresponding amount of time. Warning points can accumulate, but they also expire. Other people just come here to troll, or get into fights. You will see a lot of people creating new accounts just to harass people here (and trying to get good people outside of the forums), that's the same old banned people that has sent me threat emails (or even called me IRL!)
  4. Darunia18

Darunia18 Staff Member Sectional Moderator

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Darunia18
    So to add onto what @shoghicp said, there's lots of times that people are only banned for a few weeks or months, while other times it is forever. Other accounts get banned quickly because they are secondary accounts made because their first was banned. It's a complicated system, but it all makes sense in the end. Sometimes people do things that I never expected them to do, and it's a bit sad, but one thing I learned early on in dealing with any community is that you have to follow through with everything and show no favoritism (which I have a hard time with sometimes, but so far haven't done such on here, because I usually don't have to deal out too many warnings).
  5. Tiemo2000

Tiemo2000 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Tiemo2000
    Like me? Can i get banned for requesting plugins?!
  6. Anton Magsino

Anton Magsino Active Member

Minecraft User:
    MinecrafterPH
    That's not what I meant. What I meant is that people request for plugins that cannot be made or be applicable for PocketMine or MCPE.
  7. DA_Swagnemite

DA_Swagnemite Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    DA_SWAGNEMITE
    Or the people that create billions (or at least seems that way) of one thread requesting colored chats when theyve been told by tons of people its a client side thing and cant be done XD
  8. iksaku

iksaku Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    iksaku
    Also by creating malicious plugins, tryin to spoof downloads, send a to review a lit of times a plugin that was refused, spam, keep annoying to other people or moderators, ask for OP via comments or PM, spam (again) because they want to apply to Plugin Reviewers, Moderators (Sectional or Global), they wanna be OP in @shoghicp's server (that it's private xD) or in @williamtdr's one... And the most common... Trying to evade bans, sometimes people get a temporary ban (Ex. 1 hour) and they wan't to enter the forums, so they create another account to enter, the forums detect that it's the same IP address from a temp. banned user and maybe he get a Beautiful LifeTime Ban provided by the system.
    A lot of things can give you warning points, I got a warning point last December... But I receive it one month ago :p that was weird
  9. LDX

LDX Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    I got temp banned for telling some guy I didn't like his coding style. :p
  10. DA_Swagnemite

DA_Swagnemite Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    DA_SWAGNEMITE
    XD I didnt even know people could get banned for that kind of thing. I thought it was just the more important stuff like what @iksaku said. XD
  11. LDX

LDX Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Well, it gave me a warning point. But you only need two to get banned for a week. x.x
  12. jerlegoman

jerlegoman Active Member

Minecraft User:
    jeremy647
    If you READ THE RULES you will see!!! BUT IF YOU DONT YOUR DOOMED! DUN DUN DUUUUN!:confused::rolleyes:
    Taha_The_Hacker and LDX like this.
  13. HostingItAll

HostingItAll Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Console
    *Decides to behave :)*
  14. andre_the_gamer

andre_the_gamer Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Andre_The_Gamer
    Guys try understanding this

Ban = Not following rules, Or to constantly do something wrong over a period of times

Hope this helps :)
  15. PEMapModder

PEMapModder Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    I didn't see any rules about bumping threads and I got banned for it. I didn't see any forum rules for using GitHub as a forum and I got banned for it.
    LDX likes this.
  16. Gamecrafter

Gamecrafter Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Well then they should add it! I find it very annoying when a random guy makes an account and bumps a thread that's three years old!
    Devin5411, LDX and Taha_The_Hacker like this.
  17. andre_the_gamer

andre_the_gamer Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Andre_The_Gamer

HERE'S A QUESTION FOR YOU:
    For what reason do you ban people on your server
    Psst... Its the same as forum