Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Donate or Paid plugin section

Comments in 'Forum Discussion' started by Primus, Aug 9, 2015.

?

Should PocketMine team add Donate button for developers or Paid plugin section?

Poll closed Aug 16, 2015.
  1. Paid plugin section.

8.0%
  2. Donate button

72.0%
  3. Both

8.0%
  4. I dont care

12.0%
  1. TigerHix

TigerHix Active Member

Minecraft User:
    TigerHix
    Alright ;) Well, if this is a debate, there are two logical fallacies in your argument of inevitable physical cost.

First, physical cost ≠ overall cost. I have mentioned physical cost of hosting a server as a minor supporting evidence, that hosting a server costs. In fact, the physical cost you are mentioning is only a small proportion of the overall cost. Renting a VPS only cost you a few dollars in recent years (for example, the one I am using, HostHatch, have a 1Gb ram plan at $7/month). And renting it is easy: you pay it via Paypal or your credit card, and you get the SSH root access to the server.

What comes next, is something unrelated on physical stuff. You install dependencies on the server such as vsftpd or mySQL. You set up the access for incoming/outgoing traffic. You set up PocketMine and configure options to get it running. You download plugins and configure them to try to create an integrated environment for your players. You start to get players and you created a Skype group for conversation. Well you have a life, and you have a meeting to attend at your office tomorrow, and its already 2am right now. But players are discontented because of random glitches from the plugins, and you must provide a workaround as a server owner. Next, you start learning coding to try make custom plugins for a better overall experience, and to replace some of the current plugins. Learning how to code certainly takes time, but you have still learnt how to code PHP and have written a basic plugin. But while you think you are settled on setting up the server and ready to deep into coding, players are quoting you on Skype being anxious to let you know that some griefers are making troubles in the game world. You cannot help but connect to your server, and trying to figure out the griefers' IPs in the console log...

Although it is extremely difficult to say what is the true value (in terms of money) of the above behavior, I bet we will both agree, that such behavior brings much cost to the server owner than the physical cost - no matter it is your time or it is your vigour. I know you may argue that such "cost" is not a real cost, as you "love doing it", just like the example of washing dishes. Sure, that brings us onto the next point.

Non-physical costs can also be measured by money. Sounds ridiculous? No, we are applying it every day. Your job. (Or if you are a student, your parents' job, whatever.) The programmers hired by, let's say, Google, certainly loves programming; otherwise they would not have been such level to be hired by Google. Does that mean Google can hire them for free because they love doing the job? I guess I wouldn't need to say the answer myself. Even though you love washing dishes so much - someone got to hire you. If you are only calculating the physical cost here, then programmers would only get the salary with the same amount of money as their electricity bills.

Let me guess. You are thinking, "hey writing plugins is not a job. No one forces you to." That's right, but in essence they are the same. Coding at the office and coding in home all take your valuable time, just like what @aliuly have said, time is more valuable than money. The only difference is, your physical reward from the former is decided by your boss, your physical reward from the latter should be decided by yourself. Many plugin developers including you have open-sourced large amount of your plugins on Github, I respect your work, your time and your choice of making it free. But others have their choices as well, and that's been the point I am trying to raise in this long thread.

Finally, I have to make some supplements for your previous argument, that you mentioned developers can just go to another forum and sell it. While, we are both clear that this forum, is the only place with customer (PocketMine end-users) and vendor (PocketMine plugin developers) accumulated. Compelling the two parties aside is already confusing and frustrating, and such baffling action is also compelling streams of people into other forums. But meanwhile, if someone posted a link to, for example his homepage of his paid plugins, in no doubt the thread will be deleted. Don't you think it is contradictory? Pushing people to other forums or websites, while banning advertisements to forbid people in this forums visiting other forums or websites.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Primus likes this.
  2. Primus

Primus Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    PrimusLV
    KeyBoard warriors :D
    TigerHix likes this.
  3. TigerHix

TigerHix Active Member

Minecraft User:
    TigerHix
    Yeah, that's my side-time job when eating instant noodles. ;)

Just kidding, but if you have witnessed how commercialization including paid plugins have benefited the community, you probably would understand why I am spending hours on the topic.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    PEMapModder likes this.
  4. basprohop

basprohop Active Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    basprohop
    dissss ^^^^^^^6
    TigerHix likes this.
  5. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Notable Member

Minecraft User: