Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solved Difference between DelayedTask and RepeatingTask

Comments in 'Plugin Development' started by AndrewBit, May 7, 2016.

1. AndrewBit

AndrewBit Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    AndrewBit4
    I think that the title says all.
    I usually use RepeatingTask and AsyncTasks, but I never used a delayed task, and that's why Idk at all how it works..
  2. CrazedMiner

CrazedMiner Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    CrazedMinerYT
    A repeating task repeats the onRun function within the Task class after the set amount of ticks have passed, this is usually used for mini-games and timers as a task running every 20 ticks (every second) is easier to manage. Delayed tasks are only executed once after the set amount of ticks have passed and are usually used for clearing data from arrays or other delayed actions.
    Primus and AndrewBit like this.
  3. Legoboy0215

Legoboy0215 Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    Legoboy0215
    It's a 'delayed' task.
    Primus likes this.
  4. AndrewBit

AndrewBit Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    AndrewBit4
    Wow, so useful.
    Thanks!
  5. CraftYourBukkit

CraftYourBukkit Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    CraftYourBukkit
    Well it is kinda useful:p
    The tasks get executed once with a delay of x ticks
  6. Primus

Primus Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    PrimusLV
    Names of of the classes isn't self-explanatory already?
    Legoboy0215 and Thunder33345 like this.
  7. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    A PluginTask is a subclass of Task. A Task object can always be scheduled with the scheduleDelayedTask or the scheduleRepeatingTask function, but there doesn't exist something called "DelayedTask" or "RepeatingTask". A Task can be scheduled repeating after it is scheduled delayed.
    However, an AsyncTask is totally different. An AsyncTask is not a Task. There is a function scheduleAsyncTask with a similar name, but scheduleAsyncTask has totally no relationship with scheduleDelayedTask or scheduleRepeatingTask, and AsyncTask has totally no hierarchical relationship with Task.
    An AsyncTask is an object that is passed to the AsyncPool for running on another thread later. You can't do this with a Task. Similarly, you can't schedule a delayed task with an AsyncTask. A Task is synchronous, and an AsyncTask is asynchronous.
    You already have doubleplusungood understanding on tasks if you consider "RepeatingTask" and "AsyncTask" as similar things. The former is nonexistent, and the latter is totally irrelevant.

Also refer to this post: https://forums.pocketmine.net/threa...-is-the-alternative-for-it.17331/#post-164782
    AndrewBit likes this.
  8. AndrewBit

AndrewBit Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    AndrewBit4
    No, that is why I asked. I don't want have an idea of how it works, I want know how it works as well.
    This is explanatory: