Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Common sense

Comments in 'Plugin Development' started by SOFe, Jul 29, 2016.

1. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    There are occasionally meaningless quarrels on the forums due to lack of specification, which seems redundant to people who answer many plugin development questions every day. In this wiki I will list some assumptions if not specified. Everyone is welcome to edit the wiki under the condition that the editing is not turning to flame wars.

Link to wiki: https://github.com/SOF3/forums-common-sense/wiki/

I request this thread to be sticky, since it shall be useful to many future readers.
    This is not posted in Resources, because this thread is meta, not academic.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  2. AndrewBit

AndrewBit Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    AndrewBit4
    Thank you, this thread will be really useful for newbies and veteran users trying to improve their knowledge.
    applqpak likes this.
  3. Tim // robske Büba

Tim // robske Büba Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    robske_110
    good thing!
  4. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    Please star the repo if you support the initiatives, the content of the wiki, or the wiki itself.
  5. Magicode

Magicode Active Member

Minecraft User:
    PokemonHero101
    This will be a great help. I recommend linking to this when common sense seems to be running low in your local, neighborhood threads!
    SOFe likes this.
  6. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    Traffic reveal.
    traffic.PNG
    Ironic: 45 visited the main page, 22 and 24 visited this wiki before I finished it (was an accident that I posted this thread before finishing them), 21 tried to look at the main repo and saw nothing. Only 6 people really tried to read the Terms and Abbreviations.
    TheDragonRing and Survingo like this.
  7. TheDragonRing

TheDragonRing New Member

Minecraft User:
    TheDragonRing
    LOL (how did you get the traffic list????) I was one of those 6 - You actually learn a lot by reading the Terms and Abbreviations page :p
    EdwardAllington likes this.
  8. PocketKiller

PocketKiller Notable Member

9. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    Traffic is private to the repo's owner. I actually don't know why it should be kept secret.

Just asked on the #github IRC channel. No replies so far.
  10. TheDeibo

TheDeibo Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    TheDeibo
    I got to say its interesting, but I also have to say, by sharing that link, you have also broken a rule of the forum. Its common sense that you also take a look at this link (Its a internal link, that isn't advertising. https://forums.pocketmine.net/threads/rules-what-where-why.17238/)

Also, i have got to point out, you posted it under "Plugin Development" Which by far is the wrong place to put such a subject. This should be in the
    "General Discussion" area. Yes, although it does have references to Plugin Development, I do not think it should he here. The first reason,
    Here is a helpful quote from @iamadpond.
    So, in simple terms... Its easy to put it in the wrong section. (Although there was references to Plugin Development)

But apart from all that, I honestly think that that was a project well spent. If you had copied all the Code Environment into PM Text form, or even inserted it in as an object (From Gist to PM - all you need to do is add the GIST link, and PM turns it into text. See the top link of this post for an example) then that would surly make a Sticky post for Plugin Development.

And your Terms and Abbreviations link (GIST'd like above) would surly be pinned in the HELP Category.

I hope you don't see this as a form of negativity, it is simply that I felt I needed to share some pointers. :)
  11. MyNameIsTriXz

MyNameIsTriXz Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    MyNameIsTriXz
    I dont get this thread, why should you create a whole (wrong placed) thread for newbies to explain them shortcuts of words better? First of all, things like Dev, OP and many other things are common sense shortcuts, things you get pretty easily by thinking or looking at the word or even heard it outside of PocketMine. The next thing is that only a tiny amount of users will read the GitHub page. So that's why this thread is useless, because it won't have any visible effect to the forum shortcut usage or whatever. And it won't be used that much by newbies. And it is also in the wrong section as Deibo said. That's just my opinion.
    TheDeibo likes this.
  12. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    On the other hand, you can view this as semi-rules for the forums, and we indeed have rules threads in this forum.
    Have a look at this. https://github.com/SOF3/forums-common-sense/issues/4#issuecomment-238084970
    TheDeibo likes this.
  13. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    On the other hand, from some perspectives, @iamadpond's thread about a new name for the revived version of PocketMine can be considered as advertising as well, because I really don't see how it is different from some potential person who wants to start a project like ClearSky and asks people what the name should be like (everyone just says the same thing that they want to revive PocketMine, under a different name, and then as it goes on starting its independent forums, version tracking, plugin APIs, blah blah blah), except that it is started by a moderator.
  14. TheDeibo

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    TheDeibo
    Fair point.
    Forums allow people to share their opinions, and I respect.

After thinking it over quite a lot, I might add your Common sense link to the rules post. (The pinned one). The reason why I have had a change of heart, is because it's not the sort of advertisement that's looking for payment or just be attention, it's the sort of link thanks useful, and a reference.
    So, with your permission, can I edit the Rules thread to contain the common sense link?
  15. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    The wiki is licensed under the Unlicense, in the public domain. You can do anything you want with it ;)
  16. archie426

archie426 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    archie426
  17. TheDeibo

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    TheDeibo
    updated the Rules - What? Where? Why? page.
    It now includes COMMON SENSE. This should be handy to decrease unwanted forum spam, etc.
  18. archie426

archie426 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    archie426
    Good. Thanks. The reason i havent noticed was because was just getting link from alerts.
  19. Primus

Primus Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    PrimusLV
    I was one of them :D
    TheDragonRing likes this.
  20. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    Good, at least we now have 22 unique visitors for the actual pages ;)
    TheDragonRing likes this.