Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better Info for 1.4 vs 1.5 Plugins?

Comments in 'General Discussion' started by Jazzwhistle, May 25, 2015.

1. Jazzwhistle

Jazzwhistle Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    Awzaw
    Hi,

Would it be possible to have better separation/information in the plugins listings so we know at a glance which plugins are 1.5 only, which are 1.5 and 1.4 and which are 1.4 only? At the moment it takes a lot of checking to find which can be updated on 1.4 servers, and which updates do not apply to 1.4 servers...

Thanks
  2. aliuly

aliuly Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    That would be good. The problem I had is that 1.5 is still a moving target and under heavy development.

So for example I test a version under a recent 1.5 but a couple updates later it may break.

I can't really do 1.5 tests myself and I have some friends do that.
  3. EvolSoft

EvolSoft Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Flavius12
    It's written on the top of plugin page. There is a label with "For PocketMine-MP: etc..."
  4. Jazzwhistle

Minecraft User:
    Awzaw
    True, but some plugins say "updated for API12" and are backwards compatible, others are not. For example, it takes actual testing to find out if purechat latest version (still says API 1.9.0) compatible with pureperms for 0.11.0.

So to know which plugins I can update on 1.4 servers we have to open the page for each and every plugin, and sometimes even test.

Also when I get update notifications, for example, I don't know if the update applies to my 1.4 servers or not.

Surely there could be a tag so compatibility is visible in the plugin list?

Thanks
  5. PixelGuy75

PixelGuy75 Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PixelGuy75
    When a plugin is updated, just look at the description in the updates tab on the page for the plugin. The author will usually say if it was updated to 1.5
  6. Jazzwhistle

Minecraft User:
    Awzaw
    They do usually yes, but they often don't say if it's backwards compatible or not
  7. Jazzwhistle

Minecraft User:
    Awzaw
    All I'm saying is that with 8 servers to update and different plugins in each, it would be very convenient to have a way to see at a glance which ones I can update for each pocketmine version.
  8. PEMapModder

PEMapModder Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    Probably because the developers don't bother to test or cannot test.
  9. shoghicp

shoghicp Staff Member PocketMine Team

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    shoghicp
    If plugins are updated correctly, they'll bump the required target API version so old servers will refuse to load them.

Anyways, 1.5 is backwards compatible with plugins that use the API properly. Plugins that use Reflection or parts that are not versioned will have issues, as I said before.

After 0.11 is released the first 1.5 beta will be released. That means fixing the API 1.12.0 to what is in that beta, making releases that target that version more reliable (also, not a lot of things will change before the beta, except adding new stuff)
  10. Jazzwhistle

Minecraft User:
    Awzaw
    Thanks for that information Shoghicp, very helpful as always :)

There must be quite a few of us running PM 1.4 servers praying that 0.11 comes out when we have some free time... Everyone is going to update their clients instantly, so when it happens, we will have to move to PM 1.5 just as fast.

I've tested a direct migration with the 1.5 dev builds and it does seem that the majority of plugins will not be a problem, but it does feel somewhat daunting to know I'll have to upgrade so suddenly on live production servers!
  11. LDX

LDX Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    You should have been there when PocketMine 1.4 came out...
    Darunia18 and PixelGuy75 like this.
  12. PEMapModder

PEMapModder Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    And what is that thing about pocketmine\entity\Human skins? I guess that is something that is part of the API.
    Double post. And someone still likes it...
    LDX likes this.
  13. shoghicp

shoghicp Staff Member PocketMine Team

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    shoghicp
    Skins and its API are part of API 1.12.0, which has not been finished yet. Due to changes on how MCPE works, we added an exception that does not break clients. Otherwise, plugins would crash clients and not know anything.
    this is something like the change from EntityMoveEvent to PlayerMoveEvent.

And double post due to bad network conditions :eek:
    LDX and PEMapModder like this.