Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for new server setup for kids

Comments in 'General Discussion' started by ulizama, Oct 14, 2015.

1. ulizama

ulizama New Member

Hello,

I'm fairly new to the community, and I've been looking into server creation, hosting, because I have to daughters which are Minecraft fanatics so with my wife we decided to start monthly meetings so kids could spend time together while playing.

We were able to get space on the local Planetarium and on the last meeting we got over 80 kids. What I did that time is get 8 servers, flat maps, so they could go in in teams of 10 and start creating stuff in them. Overall it was a success the kids had a blast, though we did stumble on some issues which i'll mention in a bit.

The plan was to just keep the servers for a month and then move on to other things. But kids got really invested in what they did and they kept logging in and playing in their world. The problem is that we have 8 really small servers, so I want to do it right and do a single server with all they need to play. And that's were I need some advice from you seasoned players :)

The idea is to get a big enough server to handle about 80 concurrent players, but there are some things I would like to have to avoid issues:

1. I would like only approved players to be able to login to the server. Is this possible with the whitelist command?

2. The server is mainly to be used in creative mode, they are able to go in build stuff etc. Now, in previous events we have had the issue of "destructive" players. Players that go in and set off Dynamite or set everything in fire. Is there away to remove that capability? If not, is there a way to detect this kind of users to be able to ban?

I appreciate all your advice on this.

Thanks!
    Taha_The_Hacker and Legoboy0215 like this.
  2. GmWM

GmWM Active Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Hello!
    I like when others do Minecraft stuff for kids. I just enjoy it!...

I think I can help you, so you will get your problems fixed.

1. You can add the players username in the white-list.txt file, in order to prevent others from joining the server. After doing this, only players that are written in the whitelist will be able to join your server.
    For the white-list to work properly, you need to enable whitelisting in server.properties.

2. You can use a plugin, which bans the access to TNT or cancels the explosion.

Please let me know if I helped and don't forget to keep us in touch with your server!
    Thanks - GmWM
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Legoboy0215 and KubixQ like this.
  3. Thunder33345

Thunder33345 Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    Thunder33345
    well yes for the first issue i prefer to use whitelist and simple auth(so on one can change their name to login) to turn it on use /whitelist on or for more complicated method
    use pure perm with simple auth
    1 rename the default group to untrusted(keep it default)
    2 add the perm "-simpleauth.register" "-simpleauth.login" to untrusted
    3 add a new group name trusted
    4 add simpleauth.login simpleauth.register to trusted
    5 to allow someone to login/register /setgroup <playername> trusted(caps sensetive)
    even tho for now simple auth is very unstable

for the preventing tnt use the plugin ban item
  4. KubixQ

KubixQ Active Member

Minecraft User:
    KubixQ
  5. Thunder33345

Minecraft User:
    Thunder33345
    they have dirfrent perm node (or maybe none which in that case will never work)
    well does it work?(alteast do you try)
    second the ban item can ban tnt flint and steel water bucket lava bucket etc
  6. ulizama

ulizama New Member

Thanks for all the replies I really appreciate it.

I'll be testing the plugins. Since all the kids are using the latest release of Pocket Editio 0.12, I've been playing around with the latest releases to find a stable enough one. Now I'll test using the plugins you are mentioning.
  7. Thunder33345

Minecraft User:
    Thunder33345
    good luck
    if you have any problem feel free to ask the forum or PM me
    ulizama likes this.
  8. myst02

myst02 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    myst02
    If you need a good server, buy a VPS and set PocketMine up on it.
  9. DunxandMinecraft

DunxandMinecraft Active Member

1. yes in whitelisting
    2. yep, there is a plugin that does that
  10. CavinMiana

CavinMiana Active Member

Minecraft User:
    CavinMiana
    Your a cool dad! :)
  11. Legoboy0215

Legoboy0215 Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    Legoboy0215
    Use LimitedCreative.
  12. ulizama

ulizama New Member

I would like to thank everybody for their replies. Just an update on where we are.

We are getting ready for the next event in a couple of weeks. We got a big server to hold 60 players, and I have it running a stable version of PocketMine for 0.12. I have installed PurePerms, and after trying several plugins which were recommended here, I settled for the LimitedCreative one which does exactly what I wanted.

My daughters and I are still settling on the dynamic for the next event, originally I was thinking of doing pure Creative Mode as we have been doing, but the girls would like to do survival or maybe even PVP.

I'm leaning towards doing something like Creative Mode so they build their homes, etc, and then after x time change the game mode to survival. I'm not too sure about PVP, but maybe that's just me worrying to much.

Any ideas?
  13. Thunder33345

Minecraft User:
    Thunder33345
    well if you want to allow them to change gamemode try do "/setgperm <the group name(case sensitive)> pocketmine.command.gamemode" so they can change their gamemode currently there no way to mass change gamemode

about PVP it can/may cause some fight especially if there not so mature kids(not saying there are just if they ware)
  14. ReverendMilo

ReverendMilo New Member

I'm a dad doing the same thing. I have a hosting plan through hostingitall. this shows you the current plugins I have installed and configured:

Code:
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    [16:14:53] [Server thread/INFO]: Starting Minecraft: PE server version v0.12.1 alpha
    [16:14:53] [Server thread/INFO]: This server is running PocketMine-MP version 1.6dev-28 "[REDACTED]" (API 1.13.0)
    [16:14:53] [Server thread/INFO]: Loading Slapper v1.2.5
    [16:14:53] [Server thread/INFO]: Loading AdminFun v1.0.0
    [16:14:53] [Server thread/INFO]: Loading PurePerms v1.2.2
    [16:14:53] [Server thread/INFO]: Loading SimpleAuth v1.7.1
    [16:14:53] [Server thread/INFO]: Loading RealTime v2.1.1
    [16:14:53] [Server thread/INFO]: Loading EssentialsPE v1.1.3
    [16:14:53] [Server thread/INFO]: Loading ManyWorlds v2.0.3
    [16:14:53] [Server thread/INFO]: Loading SimpleAuthHelper v2.0.4
    [16:14:53] [Server thread/INFO]: Loading SimpleWarp v2.1.0
    [16:14:53] [Server thread/INFO]: Loading SimplePortals v0.0.3
    [16:14:53] [Server thread/INFO]: [PurePerms] Set data provider to YAML.
    [16:14:53] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing level "world"
    [16:14:53] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing level "flatland"
    [16:14:53] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing level "nether"
    [16:14:53] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing level "pvp"
    [16:14:54] [Server thread/INFO]: Default game type: Spectator Mode
    The slapper plugin lets you create entities that the kids can interact with.
    Add adminfun and essentialspe to extend the functionality of the entities you create for them with slapper - (change gamemode, kits, make the entities say random crap, pretend herobrine joined the game, give them nausea, run commands, etc.)

manyworlds + simplewarp + simpleportals allows you to make more than one world with portals going between the worlds, like a pseudo hub.

Use the pluggins pureperms + simpleauth + simpleauthhelper to lock the world down, manage permissions, and keep random trolls away

The plugin realtime allows me to make the netherworld always night, the flatland world real life world time, made my pvparena always day, and my hub world is set to normal minecraft time.

I set it up so that new users are set to spectator mode when they register. Until my kid tells me who they are, they are stuck in the user group which I have set to only spectator permissions. If my kid knows them, I promote them to a group called "player" set in pureperms that allows them to create and interact with slapper entities. If they are a close friend, I promote them further to a group called owners that allows them even more commands.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  15. PEMapModder

PEMapModder Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    I just realized that this thread is by a high chance asking kids how to set a server for kids :p
  16. PocketKiller

PocketKiller Notable Member

LEET.cc is the best solution for kids :p
    Dog2puppy likes this.
  17. ReverendMilo

ReverendMilo New Member

HotFireyDeath likes this.
  18. PocketKiller

You are a cool Dad/ and this topic is useful. :)
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  19. Primus

Primus Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    PrimusLV
    You meant this topic is useful ?
    iDirtPlayzMC likes this.
  20. PocketKiller

Yeah.