Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion A proposed framework to merge connections

Comments in 'General Discussion' started by PEMapModder, Jan 31, 2015.

1. PEMapModder

PEMapModder Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    Could clients of the same network connect to a local server, and the local server fetches data from the server once only?

Recently, my cousin and I were playing on a server using mobile data from his network provider (I connected to his portable network from his mobile). I found that it was such a waste of mobile data to receive the same chunks from a server twice by the same device.
    So this is what I thought. What if my cousin creates a connection to the server from his device, and then hosts an MCPE server that mirrors information received from that connection to connecting clients? Then this "subserver" only needs to download data (especially chunks) once (instead of twice or more) from the server. Not only does it save mobile data, the server also needs to process less. And then my cousin can connect to his own subserver (127.0.0.1), and I can find that subserver as a local network server since I'm connecting to his portable network (yes, this works when he hosts a "server" by vanilla MCPE, I can enter his worlds if he enabled local server multiplayer and I am connecting to a WiFi that he is using or that he is hosting).

So far all these seem to be possible. The problem is how to make MCPE servers think there are two sessions while it only preprocesses data once. This is possible via a plugin (like BigBrother), but I'm not sure it will actually be implemented such that performance and data usage (of the server, subserver and all the clients) are optimized/minimized.

P.S. Since it is local network connection, no need to worry about subserver-client data.
  2. L3m0nte4_

L3m0nte4_ New Member

Minecraft User:
    lem0ntea_
    Maybe you should take control about network provider's network to catch packets, or you can modify MC:pE to receive 'special' data mirrored by provider. (Latter is harder I think)
  3. DaveCozens

DaveCozens New Member

Basically you want to use bittorrent as the network layer ;)
  4. PEMapModder

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    It feels more sensible for me to broadcast a server and implement a bridge instead.

Also I wonder whether encoding chunks could eventually be avoided.
  5. EvolSoft

EvolSoft Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Flavius12
    Do you mean something like a special VPN?
  6. PEMapModder

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    No, it is like a child server that downloads data once and broadcasts them all.
  7. EvolSoft

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Flavius12
    A VPN is the same thing. It broadcasts all data received from connected computers
  8. PEMapModder

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    Yes, but it doesn't have the important point "receive data from the server only once", because I am talking when servers receive two connections but send data to them as one.
  9. EvolSoft

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Flavius12
    You can do this with pptp or OpenVPN anyway ;)
    You need only to configure settings properly :)
  10. PEMapModder

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    I don't think so. If you do it like that, the server will consider that there is only one player. Unless you send the login packets twice? Then the server will reply twice.
  11. EvolSoft

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Flavius12
    I don't know because I've never tested it. You should try to know if it works ;)
  12. PEMapModder

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    I don't know about VPN, but I know that VPN isn't something that would interpret your MCPE packets, sort them and choose which ones to send and which ones to receive.