Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The end of PocketMine-MP?

Comments in 'General Discussion' started by aliuly, Apr 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDeibo

TheDeibo Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    TheDeibo
    Its about "The End of PocketMine" which is totally different to PocketMine. ( Reason, People think PocketMine will die, although I know it will not.
  2. Primus

Primus Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    PrimusLV
    Sorry for off-topic: You sound like my mom.
    freshkitty and minebuilder0110 like this.
  3. Vaivez66

Vaivez66 Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    If the new generation could still continue the story of PocketMine, PocketMine will not die in the hands of those forks...

P.S: You forgot to close the parenthesis
    Muqsit and TheDeibo like this.
  4. TheDeibo

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    TheDeibo
    IKR....
    Its so big it doesnt yet have an ending xD
    Vaivez66 likes this.
  5. amiremad

amiremad Active Member

Minecraft User:
    amir107
    pocketmine is still less laggy and have better rpeformance than those forks

but those forks have more features
  6. Primus

Primus Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    PrimusLV
    Those forks are like: Oh, thats good, I like it add it. Mmm, I saw this somewhere lets add it. What about that? Alright lets add it. Thats awesome, lets add it.

Then they go around saying hey did you know using our fork you can make mobs to walk
    luca28pet likes this.
  7. TheDeibo

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    TheDeibo
    yes those forks do have more features, but are too buggy to even think about adding to PocketMine. Too buggy and too laggy
  8. Muqsit

Muqsit Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Muqsit
    I can't tell which fork you're talking about, but the one i'm using is way better than the official repo in performance, features and everything! There are still some pocketmine-related bugs that haven't been fixed. Pull requests that fix the bugs haven't been merged since ages.

> Those forks aren't buggy at all! Except for ima...
    ImagicalGamer likes this.
  9. Primus

Primus Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    PrimusLV
    [​IMG]
    Survingo likes this.
  10. aliuly

aliuly Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    As I see, there is not much innovation going on with PocketMine. However, I do think @Intyre focus on the basics (specifically upcoming 0.15 protocol updates) is indeed the right approach. I do consider detrimental that the plugins section of the forum is so badly maintained. I understand that staff have a right to live their own lives. What I don't understand is why there are no new people being added to the staff ranks. I think if we had more people helping reviewing and approving plugins, things would probably get better.

Which brings the point that currently the official PocketMine team is quite small. Only four members, which is probably too small for such a popular project. But then again, since @shoghicp was the main code developer that worked fine. Now that @shoghicp does not have enough time to work on PocketMine, it should be a good time to review how the team is organized. I think he should take a role more similar to what Linus does for Linux development, where most the code comes from other developers (unless he doesn't have the time to do that either).
  11. Primus

Primus Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    PrimusLV
    By drawing parallels with @shoghicp's life I know how he feels and from that I can say he sees no reason to come back here. He have left this all up to @Intyre and he needs to know that we are right with him, @Intyre don't be #OneManArmy sooner or later you'll find out it's impossible.

My nation's proverb
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this all is because of @Intyre. We won't even be here (on this thread) if there wasn't those 'awesome' forks. Third builds were made because of PocketMine target audience childish ideas which PM didn't want to complete and of course thats just logical thus I haven't met any smart 12 year old being.
    And here where those forks come in and say yeah thats awesome lets do what you say, that's not how things get done.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  12. TheDeibo

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    TheDeibo
    Actual fact. That fork is buggy too. So are the other well known forks. I have tested them, and by comparison, PocketMine is still dominant.
    Muqsit likes this.
  13. Muqsit

Muqsit Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Muqsit
    G****y*, as an example, has got alot of features with a smooth style of coding. I can already think about the fact that working Item Frames, Cauldrons, XP, weather, bukkit commands, (command selectors, setblock, fill, summon etc), working enchantment tables, brewing stands, potions, splash potions etc would never be coming in PocketMine (not any soon). Not criticizing or blaming anyone, but this community really needs to hire 'SOMEONE'.

Someone who HAS time to spare.
    Someone who understands and wants to help the community grow.

Now if I question -> 'Why is the official software buggy af and not the forks?' I know everyone would answer something really stupid and duplicated as 'Oh, PocketMine isn't meant to be used for production.' And I absolutely agree with that.
    At least don't fire back on those forks who are trying their best (and when I say this, I really mean their BEST) to implement each and every bit of MCPE's latest features in.
    And as of now, 95% (fake calculations, but probably accurate) of the servers use this specific software for...production! There are hundreds of production servers (LifeBoat etc) using PocketMine.

"Not a production software? Well lets just wait until someone codes it all the way
    Waits an eternity
    "?

Everyone knows how the forks started -> Pull requests weren't being merged, even the important ones. Even the forks are a part of PocketMine. You can't just eliminate @shoghicp's coding in any part of the forks. I don't understand why it could ban a person now. It is, in no way advertising. It's just showing the community your skills in a more organized manner. But I might partially have to disagree with this on the basis of the people who seek help while using a forked repo.

There is a reason why the devs are leaving PocketMine, it's mostly because you can't contribute anything to this community at this time. The chances of your contributions getting accepted are far too less. So, it was a good thinking to start an unofficial repo.

I really like how far this software has reached, even after being coded in a foreign language but oh, the features (Not criticizing again, but i've made a PR for taiga biomes that hasn't been checked upon by the staff yet. I don't know what's there to be against each and every newly added feature.)!
    -

From my comparison, if you merge about a half of all the pull requests that have been made on the official repo, the official repo would still turn out to be buggy.
    > The forks aren't buggy in no way. Trust me when I say this. Try joining a server maybe? /version is a default command. IM and G****y* have done their best in fixing lots of PM-related bugs. Just look at IM's stars on GitHub. It's already half of the official repo!
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  14. PolarKing

PolarKing New Member

Minecraft User:
    PolarKingMCPE
    I agree with this. I see so much hate for the forks on this community; I feel that this is unwarranted for. With progress halted for the most part on the main PocketMine-MP branch, there isn't much one can do except fork the repo and make their own changes. These forks are, although containing a couple bugs, stable enough to be used on production servers, and of course, there are extra features.

My main point here is that we as a community should stop criticizing the forks, and we should rather focus on how we can improve our own software. If this message appears to be aimed at a specific person, that is completely unintentional. This is merely my opinion and standpoint on the current situation that PocketMine-MP is in.

I do not believe that PM will die, as long as changes are made. As for the forks, I applaud them for their work; however, I do respect the work of Shoghicp and the original devs of PM just as much as I do for the forks.
    Muqsit likes this.
  15. Vaivez66

Plugins:
    Shall we blame someone for these problems?
  16. basprohop

basprohop Active Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    basprohop
    I personally blame @shoghicp for his lack of public involvement. And don't give me some bull shit excuse of him being too busy, if he's not busy enough to make money off PocketMine (through BuySellAds) he sure isn't busy enough to hop on maybe once a week and answer any questions or interact with the community or even once a month, heck I assume he has days off at work doesn't he? His GitHub is fairly inactive, this is why this community seems dead. The ones with proper power/management abilities don't give a shit themselves.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    Legoboy0215 likes this.
  17. Vaivez66

Plugins:
    Yeah, as we know, Shoghicp has his own life, he is a human, but he has a job to continue this project (PocketMine) as well...
  18. aliuly

Plugins:
    The problem I have with the forks is that none of them have been able to form any sort of meaningful community. Only imagicalmine has a forum for example, but even that is closed for new registrations. So users wanting to discuss and just hang out have to do it in the PocketMine forums.
    Legoboy0215 likes this.
  19. MK500

MK500 New Member

Minecraft User:
    MK500
    Let's all get along.

The core team is awesome. The forks are awesome as well.

The core team is very focused on stability. They are making sure protocol changes are properly supported; and probably have Shoghi's ear to help in this regard. It's like Ubuntu's LTE strategy. Core code should be the most solid; but the focus isn't new features.

The forks are iterating quickly. They generally fix major bugs in a few hours and deal with pull requests within a day or two. They have an extremely active set of dozens of developers. New features are being added multiple times per week. This is awesome. Without this we would be going 3 to 6 months between feature enhancements. Remember?

The projects don't compete, they COMPLEMENT each other. Yes the forks "merge" code changes from the core project; as they should. It's critical stuff. The core team should also be willing to look at the forks in a broad way to see what experiments have worked out. Then they can merge code from the forks into core as appropriate -- when it meets the high standards of the core team.

This kind of setup is a perfect example of how Open Source can do things impossible in closed projects.

Also, it makes a lot of sense for the core project -- PocketMine-MP -- to manage the discussion and plugin areas. It would be even better if it became OK to talk about all of the forks here as well -- maybe in their own sections of the forum. Yes there are problems caused by API divergence, etc., but the best way to reduce this is to have more open collaboration and communication.
    Jazzwhistle, freshkitty and Vaivez66 like this.
  20. aliuly

Plugins:
    I think we need to address two main areas, the first is around the development model that PocketMine-MP follows, and the other is the community that is build around PocketMine-MP.

Around the development model, this needs a serious look at. As it is, right now it is only @Intyre doing everything. I think it is time to expand the team a little bit. Perhaps adding two more developers to the team. I don't know how those developers should be recruited, but that is something that needs to be resolved quickly. If @Intyre were to decide to move on (or due to unforeseen circumstances he were not be able to contribute any more) the project will definitely be dead. Of course, as with any team, there has to be some organization on how the team would work, but that would largely depend on the team itself.

Around the community, this is mostly build around the forums. I think again, additional staff needs to be recruited. There hasn't been any new staff added, while we have been people leaving left and right. Nothing against them, and it is part of life, but losses need to be recovered. Once the staff is available, we would need to solve the plugin repository situation, but also, if we consider the forks as "friendly", then we should welcome them, perhaps creating a discussion area for forks.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.