Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Release PocketMine-MP 1.6dev-1266 is now available!

Comments in 'PocketMine News' started by Intyre, Dec 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PEMapModder

PEMapModder Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    Firstly, a large amount of code was copied in ImagicalMine. It was started by copying Katana and Steadfast stuff into PocketMine. It is hard to convince myself that someone who copies the removal of TextFormat::ESCAPE and thinks it is related to the auto updater, is able to update PocketMine protocol support all by himself.

Second, I did not make assumptions. You can simply have a look at MCPETransfer. It is a minor project in ImagicalCorp. Actually, nothing about it has been developed at all except that they changed the name and a few minor changes in the text (and some of them are actually wrong). And then this repo got 11 stars, while the original repo that MCPETransfer came from got 14 stars, and I pretty much believe that nobody (or very few) would star a repo fork that only changed the name without starring the original repo.

Third, I never made assumptions that they created accounts to star the repo. I have written a simple script that analyzes the stargazers of ImagicalMine, as you can see from my Twitter. They were registered on multiple different days in random pattern, and the distribution is statistically normal. I never accuse anyone unless I am sure about it and have concrete evidence for myself to believe so. The distribution of register dates of stargazers of ImagicalMine only shows that they MAY be asking people to star the repo, or MAY NOT. It is more likely that they have crazily advertised it everywhere, which from what I have seen from @k3ithkfng's activity, is very likely.

Fourth, I do not want to start a war, and if I were to, I hadn't fully started yet. I am only targeting individual acts related to ImagicalCorp that I could not tolerate not to practise my freedom of speech because it was too unacceptable, but I did not target against the whole ImagicalMine or ImagicalCorp at all. If I did, I had only done so against @k3ithkfng himself, but I am OK with other members of ImagicalCorp or ImagicalMine project itself. Have you ever seen me telling people not to use ImagicalMine?

Fifth, ImagicalMine didn't invoke me. It was @k3ithkfng's act that invoked me. For example, last night, someone linked me to a tweet by @k3ithkfng a few days ago:
    This led to my strong repulsion. PocketMine-MP is a large project with 82919 lines of PHP code inside, with countless hard work inside, and with a lot of bug fixes and logic implementations whose difficulty could not be reflected by ImagicalMine. What about ImagicalMine? I am not saying that it is a worthless project. Actually, it contains 95624 lines of code - it may be more than PocketMine, although I am not sure about the quality. I don't doubt the functionality - as we all know, ImagicalMine has a lot of functionalities, as well as a lot of bugfixes for protocol updates (which I found a lot of them to be copied). But I would not doubt that ImagicalMine has its value, although I consider it to be immoral, both in terms of how it was promoted and its respect to authorship of the PocketMine Team and other contributors to PocketMine-MP.

Sixth, I have no reason to specifically turn against ImagicalMine. Actually, I am involved in the construction of the redstone system in ImagicalMine, behind the scenes - for example, it was me who suggested the current way to detect pressure plates efficiently. I am also involved in ImagicalMine, where Why would I turn against ImagicalMine when I myself am involved in coding it? ImagicalMine indeed contains cool code, but it is ruined by poor management among collaborators - it would not have a bright future in terms of API, if it continues like this. Why would I turn against it or be provoked when a project that I had provided support to got popular? Did I react like this when RedstoneLamp got a bit more popular? Did I react like this when MiNET is popular? No. I have logical reasons behind everything I do. I may occasionally act due to impulsiveness, but if I do something continuously for days and weeks like this one, you can see that I have thought a lot over it. Furthermore, if you look back at the earliest Gitter chat logs or ImgicalMine, I started out by trying to pull them back to what is more appropriate, although we eventually could not cooperate due to conflicts of values on @k3ithkfng's way of promotion.

Seventh, I condemn the inadequacy of acknowledgement in ImagicalMine. PocketMine is a project based on PocketMine, we all know that, but sometimes I feel that they try to conveniently forget the fact. But fine, OK, as long as they mentioned it in the README, it is acceptable to me. But then they also copied code from other places, such as Steadfast2, Katana, and including my own fork of PocketMine that is not merged into PocketMine, so it would not be considered as part of PocketMine, and probably more although I am not sure. Yes, ImagicalMine contains original code, notably the redstone support in it. But it is also full of code copied from other repos. Yes, I am still fine with copying code, but in the prerequisite that you understand the code. I can't accept it when you copy the code blindly. Just take a look at this commit for example - ImagicalMine developers (OK, some of them, not all) (OK, one of them, and it is the founder of the org) copied the patches from other projects without proper acknowledgement and without even understanding. This is an especially hilarious example, but it is surely not the only one (although this is the only one I paid more attention on) because I don't watch every commit at ImagicalMine, but we can logically deduce that if there is such a commit that can make me yell WhataTerribleFailure, there is definitely other ones, probably less hilarious, but this reasonably should not be a very extreme case. Acknowledgement doesn't matter to them, like Katana? Look at ImagicalCorp's tweet.
    I support open-source free software. As long as a project is free and open-source, it has its own value to me. But I urge developers stop the act of unacknowledged or under-acknowledged plagiarism and inappropriate advertising like how ImagicalCorp did. I wanted to write more, but it appears that it is meaningless to humanity that I spend all the time writing this. Thank you for your careful reading.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  2. zombie_Power

zombie_Power Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Zombie_Power
    Yes, I do understand parts of your controversy against the founder, however, the developers , who haven't actually "copied", worked their ass off to create, some of the best features working in a MCPE server. If you have a look at the Redstone implementation developed by a bunch of developers, you will see, how hard they worked to get at this stage.
  3. PEMapModder

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    Did you seriously read what I wrote? I am involved in the redstone implementation too. Of course I know that. I said I was not against ImagicalMine, only against how it was promoted.
    I would also like to point out that I am not starting war here. If it is a war, lands will be destroyed and many people will be affected, i.e. if you start a war, you are forcing everyone to pick a side. I probably simply got forced to start the gun fire with @k3ithkfng, but that's not a war.

If this is a gun fire, though, I wonder where the first gunshot came from. I have never been against ImagicalCorp itself, because it is unfair to its good developers like @aodzip. Otherwise, if it was a war against ImagicalCorp and I want to maliciously damage it, I would not have reserved and passed the IRC channels for ImagicalMine.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    DunxandMinecraft likes this.
  4. Tee7even

Tee7even New Member

Minecraft User:
    Tee7even
    All I want to say is: of course there is a lot of work put in ImagicalMine, but if it will continue like this (copying code without even understanding what it does, closing issues because they are 'irrelevant' and so on), then no good.
    PEMapModder likes this.
  5. PEMapModder

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    How could you expect a guy who copies without understanding that text format had nothing to do with auto updater to understand the importance of standardized code style?
  6. Tim // robske Büba

Tim // robske Büba Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    robske_110
    Standardized code style...
    First of all EVERY PROGRAMMER HAS HIS OWN CODING STYLE...
    So how to standardize everything?
    LDX likes this.
  7. Tee7even

Tee7even New Member

Minecraft User:
    Tee7even
    Well then have a load of code with all those "own styles" of "programmers" involved in a big project. Is it hard to read code not written by you? So code standards and a lot of other stuff exists to make things easier. Of course, everyone prefers one specific style, but a normal programmer can write in any style for a bigger reason. Some people may not understand this, while not being involed into a massive development or other work with more than one person. The problem of people like @k3ithkfng is not being able to understand this and that they perceive criticism like personal insult.
    PEMapModder likes this.
  8. PEMapModder

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    Do you think it is better for a novel to be written in partly American English partly British English partly Australian English, or in one dialect?
    LDX likes this.
  9. Legoboy0215

Legoboy0215 Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    Legoboy0215
    Partly everything is cool ;)
    zombie_Power likes this.
  10. Tim // robske Büba

Minecraft User:
    robske_110
    Understood.
    I wouldn't fit in such a project yet...
    I started developing about 1 year ago, so i think i need more time...
  11. Tee7even

Tee7even New Member

Minecraft User:
    Tee7even
    Back to my topic, if we look at PM contributing stats, we can see that almost all the code is written by Shoghi. Other devs did very not much compared to Shoghi. And that's why PocketMine seems to be almost dead without him.
    upload_2015-12-31_22-44-4.png
    Why? Practice shows that there are developers who would like to contribute to PM development. Shoghi only took repo moderators or what?
    reidq7, Legoboy0215 and PocketKiller like this.
  12. PEMapModder

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    No, they are all PocketMine Team members. Sometimes they don't write code directly, but they help on things like research or bug fixes behind the scene, sometimes. Also, just less active.
    Also, they do commit, just not major. Just see how @Intyre resumed PocketMine development after @shoghicp is AIA.
  13. Samueljh1H8sLag

Samueljh1H8sLag Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Samueljh1_
    anyone else getting a crash when you switch worlds?
  14. Samueljh1H8sLag

Samueljh1H8sLag Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Samueljh1_
    lmao they even stole the homepage
    pgmann likes this.
  15. TheDeibo

TheDeibo Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    TheDeibo
    Not just that...
    ReadTheDocs,
    http://get.imagica.blahhhblahhhh form http://get.pocketmine.net
    jenkins ( yes, read their docs, links page
    Also, I believe that everything they copied, go allong the lines of whats inside of the spoiler!
    Copy > Paste > Change PocketMine-MP to ImagicalMine

Honestly, put both docs side by side, and you will see, they are almost completely identical. It's like they can't be bothered to write it all by scratch, and not steal anyone else's work / ideas.

Fair enough... if they want to look identical to PocketMine, but they don't need to copy.
    Its a fake link. #NoAdvertisingFTW

Also, how dreadful looking... they are using a free domain, so most likely, they are using a free host too. Most free domains do not allow Mass Mailing, so if they are going to have a forum, a project like might require mass mail. I know the free host I use for personal use, they would suspend the website, and delete it, WITHOUT NOTICE.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    Samueljh1H8sLag and PEMapModder like this.
  16. Intyre

Intyre Staff Member PocketMine Team

Minecraft User:
    Intyre
    archie426, PEMapModder and TheDeibo like this.
  17. TheDeibo

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    TheDeibo
  18. Tim // robske Büba

Minecraft User:
    robske_110
    Right let's talk about WHY THE HE---
    I mean
    Why is the jenkins server down?
    And the https (SSL) Certificate of the pocketmine forums broken?
    TheWhiteTyger likes this.
  19. TheDeibo

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    TheDeibo
    LDX likes this.
  20. Tee7even

Tee7even New Member

Minecraft User:
    Tee7even
    Yes, I understand that they are helping with other things. I just think there must be more devs writing code to not let PM "die" like this when one of them decides to rest.
    zombie_Power likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.