Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Pocketmine 1.4 is crap! All worlds ported to LOCAL PE untill its Fixed!

Comments in 'General Discussion' started by cadude75, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProjectInfinity

ProjectInfinity Active Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    ProjectInfinity
    Sheep mentality is unfortunately all too common.
    Dutok likes this.
  2. LDX

LDX Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    I used Windows 8 for two months straight. It is the worst excuse for a computer operating system I have every seen in my entire life. Windows 3.1 was better than Windows 8. I must admit, however, that it would make a good operating system for phones. Now quit getting off topic.
    Darunia18 likes this.
  3. ProjectInfinity

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    ProjectInfinity
    Not really off topic. One of OPs points are that PM is crap because it doesn't support ancient operating systems.

Either way, your opinion is uninformed. Anyone with technical insight knows that Windows 8 is a very good operating system. It's UX is debatable and while it is very good for touch enabled devices, it does not fare too well on the desktop, this does not make it a bad operating system.

Windows 8 is far better than Windows 7, if you don't like the UX. Cool, you can change that. But as a OS it is better.
    And as for saying Windows 3.1 was better than Windows 8 is stupid, you're 14 years old. Windows 3.1 came out 8 years before you were born and as such you don't have any experience what it was like using it back in the days.
    Dutok and wies like this.
  4. LDX

Plugins:
    My grandma gave me her Windows 3.1 a couple years ago.
    PEMapModder likes this.
  5. ProjectInfinity

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    ProjectInfinity
    And I can run Windows 3.1 right now virtually. Does that mean that I have experience with what it was like using it in 1992? No. Can I say it was a good OS if I did not experience what it was like at the time? Debatable, but I don't think so.

A operating system can be good for it's time, and later be considered terrible because we always move on to better technologies.

So because I got a Macintosh Classic a few years ago, does that mean I suddenly know all about how great it was?
    PEMapModder likes this.
  6. iamadpond

iamadpond Banned

Minecraft User:
    iamadpond
    I swear to god if someone mentions java when the actually pocket edition isn't even made in f**king java. What is java now? A new buzzword to make everything better ? -_- Not everything has to be in java just because the game was made in it, and only the PC edition. You could honestly use python of all languages if you really wanted. Since you've listed the many great things it has over php, let me list a few reasons why I think php has over java itself.

-It's not a strict typing language
    -It's actually fully cross platform (If you were to go as far as include iOS)
    -It's the good old out anywhere for great results language
    -As said above, it's not a strict typing language like HTML. Meaning it works with whatever is written, and you can sonetimes easily see the flaws in the code during runtime unlike java which only runs if you "crossed your T's , and dotted your I's" Forget a bracket , colon ? You never know where you went wrong. Sure php might have more work arounds needed. But at least I like to see what I've done rather than look at a blank compiler pulling my hair out over a line of code.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    LDX and wies like this.
  7. PEMapModder

PEMapModder Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    • The reason why I like server software (BlockServer) in Java is because it is a strict typing language and with less "undefined behaviour".
    • Java is used on 3 billion devices (although not all can run a server software) including (source http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/9870/do-3-billion-devices-run-java):
      • 1.1 billion desktops
      • 930 million runtime downloads each year
      • 3 billion phones
      • 31 times more Java phones ship every year than Apple and Android combined
      • and others that you won't run a server software on
    • Java uses less memory than PHP. Look at these two examples:
      • PHP:
        $array = array();
        for(
        $i 0$i 100$i++) $array[] = "a";
      • Code:
        // Java
        char[] array = new char[100];
        for(int i = 0; i < 100; i++) array[i] = 'a';

So obviously Java uses less memory than PHP.
    • Eclipse is an excellent free IDE!
  8. ProjectInfinity

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    ProjectInfinity
    This was hard to read because I expected someone with a Global Moderator rank to sit down and research a little before typing out inaccuracies.

Firstly let me counter by saying that IntelliJ, the best IDE has a free version. Also any IDE will show you syntax error while writing it. You assume that people use text editors when you should never use them, even for PocketMine.
    PEMapModder and Dutok like this.
  9. PEMapModder

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    Global moderator rank just tells you he blindly follows PocketMine and PHP and he is a killer of the non-believers of PHP. No offense, @iamadpond.
  10. LDX

Plugins:
    PEMapModder likes this.
  11. PEMapModder

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    Dutok likes this.
  12. Dutok

Dutok Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Dutok
    Oh, wow. Most of your points are opinion or totally wrong. :confused:
    iJoshuaHD likes this.
  13. sekjun9878

sekjun9878 Staff Member PocketMine Team

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    sekjun9878
    This is a "discussion" about 1.4's fragility. If you want to discuss about different languages and operating systems, please take them to the off-topic section.
    LDX and PEMapModder like this.
  14. iamadpond

iamadpond Banned

Minecraft User:
    iamadpond
    This has gotten off topic very fast, and be aware I wrote them minutes after I woke up, so that's all that came out during writing. I see both sides of the argument but if shoghicp is comfortable with php, them let him be. Pocketmine isn't the only server utility but it's the most detailed at the moment.
    PEMapModder likes this.
  15. iamadpond

iamadpond Banned

Minecraft User:
    iamadpond
    I haven't called you out and disrespected you in any shape or form. What gives you the reason to ? And no I don't assume anything as I have not given evidence to support such claims. Maybe you should take a less hostile and provocative approach to correcting my early morning post.
    LDX likes this.
  16. Elmo

Elmo Active Member

Minecraft User:
    optrusty
    Some people have compatibility issues like UEFI and GPT(Thats me)
  17. PEMapModder

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    PEMapModder
    This is because most compilers show errors when compiling errored classes!
  18. jython234

jython234 Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    jython234
    Thank you for defending my software, @PEMapModder.
    PEMapModder likes this.
  19. ProjectInfinity

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    ProjectInfinity
    I'm also quite interested in BlockServer as I will admit Java is my favourite language for several reasons. ;)
    jython234 likes this.
  20. williamtdr

williamtdr Staff Member PocketMine Team

This topic has gone amazingly far off track. Wow. But it's done now, so I might as well contribute what I can.

PHP is an awesome language for getting stuff done. There's a saying of strict-type languages, such as Java and C, that one has to "know everything to write anything". When I want to crank a project out for a hackathon or to prototype an idea, do I really want the computer misinterpreting my code because the actual value was "3" so therefore my comparisons to 3 all were false? No, that slows one down a ton. Now, once one gets more experienced as a programmer, strict typing isn't as much of an issue because you're used to writing good code. At that point, PHP has the === comparison operator for conditionals so you can tighten up the screws when you want and see what fails. Occasionally, code will be misinterpreted as a result of PHP not doing strict-type checking. But the same applies to code that is strict-type checked, like the numerical example. It's certainly not a perfect language by any stretch (if you need this reinforced, @shoghicp can tell you some horror stories or you can spend some time reading this). And the alternatives for server-side processing for web content aren't great either. Javascript, and by extension, node.js has huge consistency issues.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.