Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PocketDock Deploy (deploy.pocketdock.io) - Deploy your OWN PocketMine Server Like the Pros!

Comments in 'General Discussion' started by Humerus, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Humerus

Humerus Staff Member Plugin Reviewer

Plugins:
    Hello people of the forums world,

@shoghicp added this to the pocketmine.net homepage! You can head there and checkout the different install channels and have the ability to install PM directly to DigitalOcean! Just click the channel you want to install, press the PocketDock tab, and proceed with the size you want!

I am Humerus. I like to think of myself as an avid supporter of PocketMine and the PocketMine community, as shown through the different projects I have contributed to in order to simplify the creation and management of PocketMine servers for all. Now, why does this matter? This matters because I am coming to you guys with a new service, one that aims to change the way people manage their PocketMine server(s).

[​IMG]

Today I am coming to you with a new project I have worked on the past few days, PocketDock Deploy. PocketDock Deploy (PDD) is a service focused on allowing someone to deploy their own PocketMine server quickly and easily. I also don't agree with the methods of many of the hosting facilities out there today, so I decided the best thing to do was give the power back to the players. In previous projects I've worked on (such as PocketDock Instant) I aimed to remove the hassle from creating PocketMine servers for users. The problem with that specific idea was that it wasn't sustainable. Yes, we (@Brandon15811 and I) were able to support quite a few users who pretty much had unlimited access to their own free instant server (people could install plugins, use the console as if they were sitting in front of the screen, and modify files in a quick and easy way) oh, and if I didn't say it before, it was FREE. This was revealed to be an expensive task for us (students who up until that point coded for some freelanced reasons, but mostly stuck to the open source scene). PDD aims to be different though. The idea is to give the user the ability to pay for their OWN server. I'm not saying a hosting company that shares server resources between 15-20 different PM servers, I mean the ability for a user who doesn't have any (or is wanting to learn some) Linux knowledge to be able to create their own VPS with a PocketMine server installed without having to pay for any other management fees. You only have to pay for the price of the VPS from the provider (DigitalOcean in this case).

Now, onto the things that PDD aims to do. PDD pretty much allows the user to click a button with the settings they want to start their server with, signup or login to the VPS provider (DigitalOcean) and start a Linux server within minutes (the fastest test I did clocked it at about 55 seconds [which is the amount of time DO says it takes for a server to be ready :)]). PDD then levies the DO API and will have installed the selected version of PocketMine, and a plugin that I also created (PocketDockConsole) to allow the user to quickly and easily manage the server. That being said, the server is still ENTIRELY owned by the user. They pay the amount for the server directly to the provider, and don't have to pay ANYTHING for the server provided by PDD. If they want to delete any data on the server (let's say they decide to login and do rm -rf /) that's all them. If they want to change up how many servers are running on the system, go ahead, the VPS is YOURS. PDD just makes it easy to deploy the server and manage it.

The best part about this whole system is that you have total control. @iamadpond wrote a pretty good post about how to manage your own system, but I realize how that may be a bit too verbose for the layman. That being said, this system aims to allow you to get into that verbosity if you want to, again IT IS ALL UP TO YOU.

Here's how the currently application works (btw, this will eventually be open sourced):
    • User goes to http://deploy.pocketdock.io
    • User selects what they want for their server (what PM version, the size of the VPS [the bigger the size, the better, but also the more expensive], and the datacenter for better latency depending on one's location/targetted audience)
    • The user then clicks the button (now there is an option down below, it is the option to allow us to redirect you to DO's site using our referral code. This does not charge the user anything, but instead gets us both some extra money credits from DO for the server (you get to run the server for 2 months free, and i get to keep this server up for free). IT HELPS SO PLEASE LEAVE IT CHECKED, BUT BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS UP TO YOU, IT IS UP TO YOU! :)
    • User is then redirected to DO to either login or signup (the entire process uses oAuth in order to ensure that it's as secure as possible, meaning PDD NEVER SEES ANY OF YOUR PRIVATE ACCOUNT INFORMATION, WE DON'T NEED THAT STUFF ANYWAY
    • Once login is successful, PDD levies the new tokens to create the server according to the selected parameters
    • User is then redirected to the site where there is a loading icon that will continuously refresh the server's status and notify the user once it is then ready
    • Once ready, the user will be moved to the console page. There they will see the server ip, the port, the password, and the PocketDockConsole management console
    • Now the server is ready for you to customize as you please :)
    Sounds pretty simple, right? That's because it is :)

TL:DR: I made a service called PocketDock Deploy (http://deploy.pocketdock.io) that allows ANYONE to be their own host without having to use their own home computer and port forward and all of that garbage. It's free to use, and all you pay for is the hardware cost. It's quick and easy, and the way I see it, better than all other alternatives. It's your server, use it how you want to, have as many players as the hardware can handle, and all you have to do is pay the price of the hardware

Here's some License stuff because I'm a student that is too poor paying for really expensive school and not enough time to deal with being sued:
    THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
    IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
    FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
    AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
    LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
    OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
    THE SOFTWARE.

If this is in the wrong place, leave it in the wrong place. Just, just do it.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    nfgamermc, Quinsrainz, pomee4 and 6 others like this.
  2. basprohop

basprohop Active Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    basprohop
    Cool idea, although 502 error after your application receives a response from DO
  3. Humerus

Plugins:
    Just tested this and it seems to be working fine.
  4. shoghicp

shoghicp Staff Member PocketMine Team

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    shoghicp
    When I saw it I decided this is what the community needs :)

You retain control of your server but you still get a management panel. Could it get better?
    Dutok and imnofox like this.
  5. kennethgomad

kennethgomad New Member

Minecraft User:
    kennethgomad
    yea good point humeros and thanks Shoghicp:)
  6. kennethgomad

kennethgomad New Member

Minecraft User:
    kennethgomad
    but only problem is this may be abusive for some propose thry going to make 1-20 server?
  7. kennethgomad

kennethgomad New Member

Minecraft User:
    kennethgomad
    also humros its it good idea for you to make an android app an easily to make ? as if i loud to give my statement
  8. kennethgomad

kennethgomad New Member

Minecraft User:
    kennethgomad
    itjust suggestions
  9. xXCyrerXx

xXCyrerXx

Minecraft User:
    iAnonymous28
    It says 5$ a month :0 is it free?
  10. Falk

Falk Staff Member Global Moderator

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    Falkirknh
    The service is free, the server itself costs money.
    xXCyrerXx and HotFireyDeath like this.
  11. Gamecrafter

Gamecrafter

Plugins:
    Well I'm glad you explained that to them, because earlier there were like 10 of them assuming it was free servers. :rolleyes:
    iJoshuaHD and HotFireyDeath like this.
  12. imnofox

imnofox New Member

Minecraft User:
    PocketMines
    Wow, this looks great.

May I suggest putting the supported MCPE version by the Stable/Beta/Development options? Seeing as the stable/betas currently supoort 0.10.4, that may cause some confusion otherwise :p
    HotFireyDeath likes this.
  13. xXCyrerXx

xXCyrerXx

Minecraft User:
    iAnonymous28
    I dunt understand..so i will pay?
  14. HotFireyDeath

HotFireyDeath Notable Member Plugin Developer

Plugins:
    Minecraft User:
    HotFireyDeath
    Basically, yes.
    xXCyrerXx likes this.
  15. xXCyrerXx

xXCyrerXx

Minecraft User:
    iAnonymous28
    :3
  16. xXCyrerXx

xXCyrerXx

Minecraft User:
    iAnonymous28
    So how do i pay?is there a free on the first month xD?
  17. imnofox

imnofox New Member

Minecraft User:
    PocketMines
    You pay for every month through DigitalOcean, using a credit card or Paypal.
  18. Humerus

Plugins:
    Thanks for the suggestion, I just added it!
  19. iamadpond

iamadpond Banned

Minecraft User:
    iamadpond
    Well if it's good enough for the homepage, it's good enough for sticky @ General Discussion.
  20. xXCyrerXx

xXCyrerXx

Minecraft User:
    iAnonymous28
    w8 so after i create server i will pay or at the end of month? :3