Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion A new name.

Comments in 'General Discussion' started by iamadpond, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jazzwhistle

Jazzwhistle Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    Awzaw
    This discussion reminds me of countless musicians who spend all their time choosing a name for the band instead of gigging.

I still don't understand why a new name is needed, whose idea it is, whether or not the pocketmine team agree... and even if that is the case, it can be done at a later date. What we need now is action, not more debate.
  2. dktapps

dktapps Active Member

+1 << 64. Very well said. The longer we sit here quibbling about names, the longer it takes to get things done. PM has a lot to catch up on. Shoot first, ask questions later.

I suggest PocketMine-MP2. (I'm joking, probably)
    archie426, XShockinFireX and ZedCee like this.
  3. archie426

archie426 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    archie426
    I completely agree. I am probably going off topic but, We all need to put our knowledge together and come from forks back to the original code.
  4. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    This is probably what this whole business about new name is about:

Ok now we have just defeated Eurasia with the aid of our ally Eastasia. Congratulations, our troops. Oh guess what, we have just defeated Eastasia with the aid of our ally Eurasia. We have always been in alliance with Eurasia, right? Oh people of Oceania, Eurasia threw that bomb pad-printed "Made in Oceania" into our capital city! We need help from Eastasia to get revenge!
  5. dktapps

dktapps Active Member

I don't understand how the analogy applies, but this situation is getting stupid, and the thread seems to have run dry of useful ideas.
  6. archie426

archie426 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    archie426
    Maybe we need the people from forks to help us. I mean they should help the original project. I mean if we go, they go. What is more they are a lot of compettion. Thanks for doing it yourself though.
  7. dktapps

dktapps Active Member

The forks/spoons/editions/whatever you want to call them - aren't about competition - we are about picking up the mess that PM left behind and making use of it. I would gladly work on PM itself, but right now I'd be wasting my time. Remember, that's why this thread was started - to find a name for PM's future generation.

(I currently have several open PRs to PM to fix various nasty bugs.)

This thread has completely deviated from its intended topic. I'm done wasting my breath here.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  8. Ragnok1234

Ragnok1234 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Ragnok123
    Here CAN'T be any new pocketmine logo/name etc. when shoghi is away
    Svile likes this.
  9. Primus

Primus Notable Member

Minecraft User:
    PrimusLV
    Who said "here" ? I predict that the whole community will migrate to new copy of this one as many of us have already done it, look at spoons.
    MasterDoctor likes this.
  10. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    The analogy means, we are just stuffed with yet another hope that's gonna be a false hope again. The citizens of Oceania only need to have a Goldstein to hate, then they'll forget to hate Big Brother. This is a means of maintaining social stability.
    Primus likes this.
  11. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    Maybe you yourself aren't about competition, but tell me, with your sense of conscience, do you really think the owners/founders/managers and every developer of these forks and spoons and PocketMine's friends don't want or care about competition (unless they are dominating)? I've been in this community (even without creating an account) for years, and I believe in my ability to identify the very basic nature of what different kinds of people are planning about. Only true developers are altruists who don't care about their own reputation and write code without spending a lot of time stealing fame instead. Maybe you're one of these, but I'm sure at the very least the founders aren't. (If they are, there would only br one PocketMine's friend right now).
  12. archie426

archie426 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    archie426
    Well, I mean there is no decided method of deciding the name.
  13. archie426

archie426 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    archie426
    Well he is not really away. He is assumed dead.
  14. SOFe

SOFe Banned

Minecraft User:
    Herobrine
    XShockinFireX likes this.
  15. dktapps

dktapps Active Member

Unfortunately, that's very true. You only have to look at our commit history to see the truth of that. Our founder at least - they wanted the contributions, they wanted the credit. Hence the download/upload instead of forking the right way.

I on the other hand don't care about that. I work on Genisys because I enjoy doing it, and because it's a challenge, and because I feel I'm doing something good.

In a hypothetical situation, if I was approached to work on PocketMine itself, I'd accept straight away. There's nothing quite like the feeling of knowing you've done something for the community. And I feel that I would owe it to PocketMine, having worked on one of its descendants.

You may have heard about the recent dispute between CS and Genisys. Over something stupid. Myself and @Tim // robske Büba were instrumental to resolving that. It came to light that the reason for the competition was mainly due to small arguments and hot tempers. Not because fame - because of stupid disagreements that turned into arguments when people on both sides lost tempers. I resolved to change that and try and prevent it from happening again. Tim and I have formed a bridge between CS and Genisys and it's benefiting both sides.

The other solution is to make peace, and get along instead of scrapping over small things. That is why I act as ambassador to ClearSky, and why I won't tolerate haters at Genisys. If we can achieve some unity, we don't need to fight.
    SOFe likes this.
  16. archie426

archie426 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    archie426
    I completely agree. Well, why else would you be here. But some forks like ImagicalMine, hardly showed any unity at all, apart from their staff members who came back to Pocketmine and I praise them. However, I am still being hippocritical, this is way off topic, but yeah.
    dktapps likes this.
  17. archie426

archie426 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    archie426
    That sounds really small. Like a free trial or demo
  18. Tester_master

Tester_master Active Member

Minecraft User:
    Tester_master
    Server reactor like someone else said
    XShockinFireX likes this.
  19. MasterDoctor

MasterDoctor New Member

Minecraft User:
    MasterDoctor
    How about Phoenix?
  20. archie426

archie426 Active Member

Minecraft User:
    archie426
    This thread doesn't really mean anything anyomore, see, PocketMine-MP, the new one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.